PC keeps freezing up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hello,

    I upgraded my PC. I put in an ECS K7SOM motherboard with a Duron 1800+ CPU.
    I also changed the case with a 400W power supply. When I use the PC while
    using the Internet, it keeps freezing up. I kept the old RAM which is a
    64MB PC133 module. I also kept the FDD and HDD which has Win98SE installed.
    Currently, I'm on dial-up. I updated my anti-virus software and scanned the
    PC for any viruses and it came up clean. Then I went to the CMOS to check
    the hardware. The temperature for the CPU is 57 degrees celsius/134 degrees
    farenheit and the system temperature is 42 degrees celsius/107 degrees
    farenheit. Is the CPU temperature too hot? I only have the CPU fan in
    there, no case fans other than the power supply fan of course. Any other
    causes for this problem?
    Thanks for the help.

    Bob

    ---
    Bob, Nov 21, 2003

  2. "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I upgraded my PC. I put in an ECS K7SOM motherboard with a Duron 1800+

    CPU.
    > I also changed the case with a 400W power supply. When I use the PC while
    > using the Internet, it keeps freezing up. I kept the old RAM which is a
    > 64MB PC133 module. I also kept the FDD and HDD which has Win98SE

    installed.
    > Currently, I'm on dial-up. I updated my anti-virus software and scanned

    the
    > PC for any viruses and it came up clean. Then I went to the CMOS to check
    > the hardware. The temperature for the CPU is 57 degrees celsius/134

    degrees
    > farenheit and the system temperature is 42 degrees celsius/107 degrees
    > farenheit. Is the CPU temperature too hot? I only have the CPU fan in
    > there, no case fans other than the power supply fan of course. Any other
    > causes for this problem?
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > ---

    Your new Cpu is too much for your old Pc133 ram.
    You should buy new ram, and then you can use your new Cpu to it's full
    capability.
    Or, in the meantime,you can go into Bios and 'underclock' your Cpu speed a
    bit, set the speed down to 1100 Mghrz (or even lower). This will prevent
    your machine from freezing up, untill you get new (compatable) Ram.
    WorkingClassHero, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Bob

    °Mike° Guest

    Try running the PC with the case open, and a desktop fan
    pointed at the innards. If the problem resolves under these
    conditions, you can be fairly sure that it is an overheating issue.

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:49:10 GMT, in
    <aRnvb.447978$pl3.262276@pd7tw3no>
    Bob scrawled:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I upgraded my PC. I put in an ECS K7SOM motherboard with a Duron 1800+ CPU.
    >I also changed the case with a 400W power supply. When I use the PC while
    >using the Internet, it keeps freezing up. I kept the old RAM which is a
    >64MB PC133 module. I also kept the FDD and HDD which has Win98SE installed.
    >Currently, I'm on dial-up. I updated my anti-virus software and scanned the
    >PC for any viruses and it came up clean. Then I went to the CMOS to check
    >the hardware. The temperature for the CPU is 57 degrees celsius/134 degrees
    >farenheit and the system temperature is 42 degrees celsius/107 degrees
    >farenheit. Is the CPU temperature too hot? I only have the CPU fan in
    >there, no case fans other than the power supply fan of course. Any other
    >causes for this problem?
    >Thanks for the help.
    >
    >Bob
    >

    >---

    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I remember looking at the motherboard manual and it says it can take up to
    100MHz SDRAM and up to 266MHz DDR RAM. I'm not using both types right now
    as the manual says it will not work. As I said before, I'm using PC133 RAM
    so do you think that might be the problem? more than 100MHz?

    Bob, Nov 22, 2003
  5. these motherboards dont work well with PC133, upgrade the ram to DDR

    Rod and Cindy Hall, Nov 22, 2003