pc is a mess/ blow it up or not?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?ZHIuIGplZmY=?=, Jun 20, 2005.

  1. I will try to keep this as short as I can. I have A compac presario 5000,
    running xp pro. I have norton security 2004 pro. things were going fine until
    about 8 wks ago. I got A couple small viruses or low security threats norton
    could not remove that were adware. I don't like anything on my pc I can not
    get rid of if I choose to.
    I keep up on all my microsoft & norton updates. I decided to also purchase
    norton systemworks 2005 to give me more control and options to keep things
    running good and should work well with norton security? OK!!!!!!!, about a wk
    after installing systemworks I started getting A error message for norton
    that it has encountered an internal error and must shut down.( uninstall &
    reinstall it )at this point it would not let me reinstall it, but found if I
    used norton go back( a couple days ) then it would work( for about a wk )
    then same message. i decided to restore my pc with my compac recovery cd's(
    that I purchased last year to reset my pc because my hard drive went bad and
    replaced it, and the original disk would not set up with new hard drive, ok
    )I did all this and reinstalled my norton and got my undates for it and
    microsoft. at this point now is the headach. Now when I start my pc it goes
    straight to administator, even after I get my user accounts set up ( 4 )
    if I log admin off then I get my log on screen with all users. the other
    problem is my norton products will not open, they seem to try but won't, I
    now have talked to at least 10 norton pc techs. they told me when I install
    systemworks to do a custom install and not install norton antivirus 2005
    because it will not work with security 2004 because it has its own virus
    program( wish i would have known this in the beginning ) ok I did all this ,
    used my recovery disk 4 times now. tried msn updates before norton, left
    security 2004 uninstalled and only installed systemworks. but still can not
    open it. I have spent hours with norton techs. look here do this, try this,
    etc. nothing works. I can get my updates, and programs like checkit
    dianostics, and the disk doctor will open. I can pay A tech to take A look
    but for the money they want I'M thinking about just buying a whole new
    program like xp home edition and going with other security programs other
    than norton. any help would be welcome, i'm willing to try anything at this
    point. (ready for fire in the hole!!!!)

    Thanks, Dr, Jeff

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHIuIGplZmY=?=, Jun 20, 2005

  2. Not short enough, honestly, its not.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?ZHIuIGplZmY=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:39:11 -0700, "dr. jeff"
    <> wrote:

    >i'm willing to try anything at this point. (ready for fire in the hole!!!!)

    By the looks of it, I think you are in the wrong newsgroup, as the
    software you metion doesn't run on Windows x64. So I might suggest you
    go to news://microsoft.public.security.homeusers

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 20, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZHIuIGplZmY=?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Get rid of Norton, and never use it again. Try running Trend Micro's
    PC-cillian or Computer Associates anti-virus. We used to use Norton, and
    gave it up when it couldn't clean a virus. We've been using Trend Micro
    ever since, and have not regreted it one bit.

    BTW, are you on XP Pro x64? If you are, there are only a couple of
    anti-virus programs that work on XP Pro x64 at this very moment.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jun 20, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?ZHIuIGplZmY=?=

    Rick Guest

    To start with, you are posting in the wrong news group. This news group
    is for the new Windows XP Professional x64 and Windows Server 2003 x64 -
    both 64 bit operating systems for the AMD64 and EM64T processors.

    I see nothing in your post that indicates you have either a 64-bit OS,
    or a 64-bit computer.

    Rick, Jun 20, 2005
  6. After scrolling through, I didn't bother, but yes, if this is Norton retail
    product issue then its a 32 bit Windows issue.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?ZHIuIGplZmY=?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Good try but microsoft.public.security.homeusers is a news group on a
    server rather than an NNTP news server.

    NEWS://msnews.microsoft.com is the server

    so
    NEWS://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.security.homeusers

    is the complete link.

    All the best.
    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    :

    Tom Ferguson, Jun 20, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?ZHIuIGplZmY=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:37:28 -0300, "Tom Ferguson" <>
    wrote:

    >Good try but microsoft.public.security.homeusers is a news group on a
    >server rather than an NNTP news server.

    Oh, my provider carries it hence the incomplete address.
    Thanks for making it complete.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 20, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?ZHIuIGplZmY=?=

    Randy Guest

    Actually, your idea to change over to XP home is prolly the best one. Leave
    Norton System Works off as well. Then find a neighborhood teen to work your
    computer for you maybe... ;~)

    Norton is great for running off the CD or for custom installs (e.g., Ghost),
    but installing the whole deal is just asking for trouble and slow downs.

    Randy, Jun 21, 2005