    its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again and see if you do as
    well as me.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Mar 30, 2006

  2. Collector»NZ

    XPD Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    news:442ba045$...
    > http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
    >
    > I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you got,
    > well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again and see if
    > you do as well as me.

    Is it just me or does that site not like Firefox ? :-/
    Im seeing answers but no questions.
    XPD, Mar 30, 2006

  3. In article <442ba045$>, says...
    > http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
    >
    > I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you got, well
    > its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again and see if you do as
    > well as me.

    Tried it, first question didn't load, one picture didn't load :-(

    It would also be nice if the full report actually said which answers were
    wrong.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 30, 2006
  4. Collector»NZ

    Bart Guest

    24 out of 25, 96% (on Firefox)

    Bart, Mar 30, 2006
  5. XPD wrote:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
    >>
    >> I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you got,
    >> well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again and see if
    >> you do as well as me.

    > Is it just me or does that site not like Firefox ? :-/
    > Im seeing answers but no questions.

    I used it on full test using FF no issues at all

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Mar 30, 2006
  6. Collector»NZ

    juicyjuice Guest

    52 / 60
    87%

    was wondering about the question on 'what broadband refers too?'

    the obvious answer available was 'speed of an internet connection'

    however i chose 'none of the above' as it means the width of the connection
    not speed.

    am I right?

    juicyjuice, Mar 30, 2006
  7. Collector»NZ

    Jerry Guest

    juicyjuice wrote:
    > 52 / 60
    > 87%
    >
    > was wondering about the question on 'what broadband refers too?'
    >
    > the obvious answer available was 'speed of an internet connection'
    >
    > however i chose 'none of the above' as it means the width of the connection
    > not speed.
    >
    > am I right?

    Since your modem is a serial device, all connections are 1 bit wide,
    whether dial-up or fast broadband.
    Jerry, Mar 30, 2006
  8. Collector»NZ

    Jerry Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
    >
    > I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you
    > got, well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again and
    > see if you do as well as me.

    it doesn't load here, FF gives a blank site with "transferring data".
    The site might be down, I'll try again later.
    Jerry, Mar 30, 2006
  9. Collector»NZ

    Shane Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
    >>
    >> I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you got,
    >> well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again and see
    >> if you do as well as me.

    > Is it just me or does that site not like Firefox ? :-/
    > Im seeing answers but no questions.

    I tried full test,
    $ firefox --version
    Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.1, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2006 mozilla.org

    I also get answers no question (It *may* be the flash plugin I'm using?)
    Shane, Mar 30, 2006
  10. Collector»NZ

    MarkH Guest

    Collector»NZ <> wrote in

    > http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
    >
    > I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you
    > got, well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again
    > and see if you do as well as me.

    Worked fine in Firefox 1.5

    55/60

    Pity I can't see which ones I got wrong, though there were some I didn't
    know and just guessed and others that I definitely knew.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Mar 30, 2006
  11. Collector»NZ

    MarkH Guest

    Collector»NZ <> wrote in

    > http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
    >
    > I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you
    > got, well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again
    > and see if you do as well as me.

    I thought I would try the standard test as well - 23/25

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Mar 30, 2006
  12. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    >> "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
    >>>
    >>> I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score
    >>> you got, well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try
    >>> again and see if you do as well as me.

    >> Is it just me or does that site not like Firefox ? :-/
    >> Im seeing answers but no questions.
    >>

    > I used it on full test using FF no issues at all

    How the hell do I enable java in Firefox? It's been bugging me.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 31, 2006
  13. Collector»NZ

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
    >>
    >> I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you
    >> got, well its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again
    >> and see if you do as well as me.
    >>

    > it doesn't load here, FF gives a blank site with "transferring data".
    > The site might be down, I'll try again later.

    adblock is stopping it.
    Jerry, Mar 31, 2006
  14. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Collector�NZ wrote:
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>> "Collector�NZ" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is it just me or does that site not like Firefox ? :-/
    >>> Im seeing answers but no questions.
    >>>

    >> I used it on full test using FF no issues at all

    > How the hell do I enable java in Firefox? It's been bugging me.

    Install the Web developer extension ... it gives great control over many
    aspects of the browser's behaviour.

    You should however be able to turn java and javascript off with Edit |
    Preferences | Content then uncheck the appropriate boxes. The menu options are
    probably different under Windows.
    Mark Robinson, Mar 31, 2006
  15. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Collector?NZ wrote:

    >>> I used it on full test using FF no issues at all

    >> How the hell do I enable java in Firefox? It's been bugging me.

    > Install the Web developer extension ... it gives great control over
    > many aspects of the browser's behaviour.

    Ok, thanks.

    > You should however be able to turn java and javascript off with Edit |
    > Preferences | Content then uncheck the appropriate boxes. The menu
    > options are probably different under Windows.

    Ta. I think it's actually Flash that I need to enable. Much as I dislike the
    idea, some sites need it. :-(
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 31, 2006
  16. Collector»NZ

    Mercury Guest

    Geeze, my computer is rather stupid - it scored only 76%.

    Mercury, Mar 31, 2006
  17. Collector»NZ

    juicyjuice Guest

    true, i refreshed my brain.. and came to realize once again in my old age..
    that the higher frequency makes it possible to send data faster therefore
    more data is arriving quicker making it a broader arrival per second. The
    name does throw you off tho.. one pictures a 'broadband' as a wider medium,
    but the medium is the same size, just rotating at a faster speed. When does
    this spinning wheel burn out? 24mbit is the current limit... another issue
    again i spose..

    thanks.

    juicyjuice, Mar 31, 2006
  18. Collector»NZ

    Jerry Guest

    juicyjuice wrote:
    > true, i refreshed my brain.. and came to realize once again in my old age..
    > that the higher frequency makes it possible to send data faster therefore
    > more data is arriving quicker making it a broader arrival per second. The
    > name does throw you off tho.. one pictures a 'broadband' as a wider medium,
    > but the medium is the same size, just rotating at a faster speed. When does
    > this spinning wheel burn out? 24mbit is the current limit... another issue
    > again i spose..

    The term is misused when you use it to refer to transmission speeds
    actually. http://dict.die.net/bandwidth/

    bandwidth

    <communications> The difference between the highest and lowest
    frequencies of a transmission channel (the width of its
    allocated band of frequencies).

    The term is often used erroneously to mean data rate or
    capacity - the amount of data that is, or can be, sent
    through a given communications circuit per second.

    The term actually belongs in FM radio, if a modulated signal shifts from
    99.5MHz to 100.5MHz the bandwidth is 1 MHz.
    Jerry, Mar 31, 2006
  19. Collector»NZ

    MarkH Guest

    Jerry <> wrote in news:442d9fda$:

    > The term is misused when you use it to refer to transmission speeds
    > actually. http://dict.die.net/bandwidth/
    >
    > bandwidth
    >
    > <communications> The difference between the highest and lowest
    > frequencies of a transmission channel (the width of its
    > allocated band of frequencies).
    >
    > The term is often used erroneously to mean data rate or
    > capacity - the amount of data that is, or can be, sent
    > through a given communications circuit per second.
    >
    > The term actually belongs in FM radio, if a modulated signal shifts
    > from 99.5MHz to 100.5MHz the bandwidth is 1 MHz.

    From the same page:
    bandwidth
    n : a data transmission rate; the maximum amount of information
    (bits/second) that can be transmitted along a channel

    It seems that the language has evolved and now bandwidth has a new meaning.
    In fact with so many new things that computing brings into our lives there
    are many new words and new definitions of old words that have come into
    existence.

    If you choose to believe that each word in the english language can only
    have one definition then you may have a few problems with the language.

    Here's a language related question for anyone interested:
    To escalate means to lift or raise, is that how the escalator got its name?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Mar 31, 2006
  20. Collector»NZ

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:07:29 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > http://www.stevenseow.com/pciq/
    >
    > I posted this about a year ago, you may even remember what score you got, well
    > its been revised to be current with new tech, so try again and see if you do as
    > well as me.

    56/60

    I got 10/10 out of the short test.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #75154 +(3706)- [X]

    <Galactic> you know what's ALWAYS bothered me? cold cereal mascots
    <Galactic> I mean that is just some FUCKED UP SHIT
    <Galactic> the Trix rabbit, for example
    <Galactic> I dunno man... if I were him I'd be fucking KILLING some kids
    <Galactic> I remember a commercial where the fuckin rabbit WENT INTO A
    FUCKIN STORE AND BOUGHT A BOX OF TRIX WITH HIS OWN FUCKIN MONEY.
    <Galactic> fuckin kids came outta NOWHERE and basically fuckin mug the
    poor stupid bitch rabbit
    <Galactic> "silly rabbit Trix are for kids"
    <Galactic> Fuckin rabbit just sits there and looks depressed.
    <Galactic> **** NO that wouldn't fly with me
    <Galactic> I'd have pimp-slapped EVERY ONE OF those fuckin bitches
    <Galactic> and made them go get me the REST of a "complete breakfast" and
    eat Trix right in front of them bitches and THEN beat the shit out of them
    some more.
    <Galactic> and wtf is with the disguises? All the dumb rabbit does is hide
    his ears and all of a sudden he's a fuckin kid?
    <Galactic> I dunno about you, but if I SAW a 6 foot fuckin RABBIT with his
    ears tucked under a baseball cap, I wouldn't immediately think
    <Galactic> "Hey, there's a cool lookin human kid, let me go over and share
    some of my cereal with him"
    <Galactic> NO.
    <Galactic> I'd be thinking
    <Galactic> "that's a 6 foot fuckin RABBIT with his ears tucked under a
    baseball cap... what the **** was I just smoking?"
    <Galactic> another thing... wtf is up with cereal being "A part of this
    complete breakfast"
    <Galactic> last time -I- checked, cereal WAS breakfast
    <Galactic> they show a big ass bowl of frosted flakes next to a waffle, a
    pancake, toast, a banana, a fuckin grapefruit... who the **** eats a
    breakfast that big
    <Flaming_Duck> not me
    <Flaming Duck> I don't even EAT breakfast nomore
    <Flaming_Duck> I mean, I eat when I get up
    <Flaming_Duck> but the whole thought "BREAKFAST IS ONLY SERVED UNTIL SUCH
    AND SUCH TIME"
    <FLaming_Suck> bitch, you make my fucking sausage and egg sandwich when I
    pay you the fucking money
    <Flaming_Duck> don't give me that shit.
    <Galactic> Back to stupid cereal mascots...
    <Galactic> Lucky Charms.
    <Galactic> FUCKING LUCKY CHARMS
    <Galactic> Lucky can turn the fucking MOON into a marshmallow, and he
    can't escape a bunch of fucking 6 year olds?!?!?
    <Galactic> C'mon now, Lucky.
    <Galactic> I KNOW your bitch ass has got to have a "Blow the fucking kids
    up" spell SOMEWHERE
    <Galactic> or make "kid marshamllows" and EAT those bitches.
    <Galactic> "They're after me Lucky Charms!"
    <Galactic> ....
    <Galactic> KILL THEM, BITCH!
    <Galactic> I dunno why I went off on this rant here
    <Galactic> it's just always bothered me."

    Note: All my comments are copyright 31/03/2006 7:12:58 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Apr 1, 2006