PC industry cutting back...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matty F, Jan 23, 2009.

  1. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Jan 24, 8:31 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Today Microsoft announced they were dropping 5,000 jobs, the first time in
    > it's 34-year history that it's 'downscaled'.

    What on earth were 100,000 people doing at Microsoft?

    Matty F, Jan 23, 2009

  2. Matty F

    EMB Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Jan 24, 8:31 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Today Microsoft announced they were dropping 5,000 jobs, the first time in
    >> it's 34-year history that it's 'downscaled'.

    > What on earth were 100,000 people doing at Microsoft?

    Debugging Windows (badly).

    EMB, Jan 23, 2009

  3. Matty F

    impossible Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 24, 8:31 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Today Microsoft announced they were dropping 5,000 jobs, the first time
    >> in
    >> it's 34-year history that it's 'downscaled'.

    > What on earth were 100,000 people doing at Microsoft?

    Earning a small fortune.

    impossible, Jan 23, 2009
  4. Matty F

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Today Microsoft announced they were dropping 5,000 jobs, the first time in
    it's 34-year history that it's 'downscaled'. Yesterday Intel said they were
    closing four plants and cutting back on 6,000 jobs. Even Google are cutting
    back apparently.

    Steve Balmer said: "We're certainly in the midst of a once-in-a-lifetime set
    of economic conditions. The perspective I would bring is not one of
    recession. Rather, the economy is resetting to lower level of business and
    consumer spending based largely on the reduced leverage in economy."

    Ironically both Intel and Microsoft are laying part of the blame on the
    increased uptake of 'netbooks'. Intel saying that, with more Atom chips per
    wafer than Core2 chips, less plants are needed, Microsoft saying that
    netbooks are running XP which has a lower profit margin. MS shares dropped
    11% in US morning trading.

    (Yet I would have thought that any revenue from XP would be *all* profit as
    several times MS have tried to kill it off and there's no ongoing
    development cost. Netbooks certainly aren't going to run Vista so it's
    pretty much XP or Linux.)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2009