PC incompatible with XPpro?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alfred, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    I have a couple of 6 yr old Edge PCs. Office machines
    Spec
    Board: i815-W83627HF
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 11/02/2000
    866 megahertz Intel Pentium III
    384 MB RAM.
    Intel 82815 Graphics Controller

    The machine is a higher spec than others I have running XP with about
    the same amount of memory. All the rest work okay but they are from
    different manufacturers.

    Both were quite happy running Win98SE. One still is happy doing that.
    USe it as a file server 24/7. The other I installed XPpro SP2. This
    one started freezing as soon as the user tried any sub menu. Didn't
    matter if it was on a right click of the mouse or going into the
    toolbar and clicking on any item the machine just froze and even
    ctr/alt/del wouldn't free it. Nor would just waiting. Impossible to
    use anything except command line test software as any GUI based one
    just freezes.

    The processor is not overheating. The memory checks out okay on test.
    The machine runs okay on W98 SE and Ubuntu and Knoppix but not XP.
    I've reinstalled XP and not cured it. Reseated plugs boards and
    cables. Cleaned edge connectors.

    The only thing I haven't done is look for a new graphics driver or
    updated BIOS. Haven't installed W2000 either but I might try it.

    Could it be I have a machine that is simply incompatible with XPpro?
    Alfred, Jan 24, 2007

  2. Alfred

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I have a couple of 6 yr old Edge PCs. Office machines
    > Spec
    > Board: i815-W83627HF
    > Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    > BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 11/02/2000
    > 866 megahertz Intel Pentium III
    > 384 MB RAM.
    > Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
    >
    > The machine is a higher spec than others I have running XP with about
    > the same amount of memory. All the rest work okay but they are from
    > different manufacturers.
    >
    > Both were quite happy running Win98SE. One still is happy doing that.
    > USe it as a file server 24/7. The other I installed XPpro SP2. This
    > one started freezing as soon as the user tried any sub menu. Didn't
    > matter if it was on a right click of the mouse or going into the
    > toolbar and clicking on any item the machine just froze and even
    > ctr/alt/del wouldn't free it. Nor would just waiting. Impossible to
    > use anything except command line test software as any GUI based one
    > just freezes.
    >
    > The processor is not overheating. The memory checks out okay on test.
    > The machine runs okay on W98 SE and Ubuntu and Knoppix but not XP.
    > I've reinstalled XP and not cured it. Reseated plugs boards and
    > cables. Cleaned edge connectors.
    >
    > The only thing I haven't done is look for a new graphics driver or
    > updated BIOS. Haven't installed W2000 either but I might try it.
    >
    > Could it be I have a machine that is simply incompatible with XPpro?

    should be OK, although you haven't mentioned the hard disk size.

    Windows 2000 is a better OS for some older systems anyway as it isn't as
    heavy on resources. XP should run on that system, if a bit slower than
    desirable as ideally you would want some more memory than that.

    When you install XP are you formatting the disk drive using NTFS or
    doing it as an upgrade type install over 98? When I've done XP installs
    on older kit they tend to work happily if you use a bootable XP disk and
    then format the drive, doing a clean install.

    FR
    Flying Rat, Jan 24, 2007

  3. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:16:44 -0000, Flying Rat <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>

    >> I have a couple of 6 yr old Edge PCs. Office machines
    >> Spec
    >> Board: i815-W83627HF
    >> Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    >> BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 11/02/2000
    >> 866 megahertz Intel Pentium III
    >> 384 MB RAM.
    >> Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
    >>
    >> The machine is a higher spec than others I have running XP with about
    >> the same amount of memory. All the rest work okay but they are from
    >> different manufacturers.
    >>
    >> Both were quite happy running Win98SE. One still is happy doing that.
    >> USe it as a file server 24/7. The other I installed XPpro SP2. This
    >> one started freezing as soon as the user tried any sub menu. Didn't
    >> matter if it was on a right click of the mouse or going into the
    >> toolbar and clicking on any item the machine just froze and even
    >> ctr/alt/del wouldn't free it. Nor would just waiting. Impossible to
    >> use anything except command line test software as any GUI based one
    >> just freezes.
    >>
    >> The processor is not overheating. The memory checks out okay on test.
    >> The machine runs okay on W98 SE and Ubuntu and Knoppix but not XP.
    >> I've reinstalled XP and not cured it. Reseated plugs boards and
    >> cables. Cleaned edge connectors.
    >>
    >> The only thing I haven't done is look for a new graphics driver or
    >> updated BIOS. Haven't installed W2000 either but I might try it.
    >>
    >> Could it be I have a machine that is simply incompatible with XPpro?
    >>

    >should be OK, although you haven't mentioned the hard disk size.

    20 gig

    I work for a charity and do up a lot of these older machines. As we
    get newer ones donated I clean the older ones and put ubuntu on and
    pass them on. Never had this particular problem before.

    >Windows 2000 is a better OS for some older systems anyway as it isn't as
    >heavy on resources. XP should run on that system, if a bit slower than
    >desirable as ideally you would want some more memory than that.

    I have over 12 other machines with a lower speed processor and the
    same or less memory where XP runs just fine. They are all of a
    different manufacturer to the Edge machine though.

    >When you install XP are you formatting the disk drive using NTFS or
    >doing it as an upgrade type install over 98? When I've done XP installs
    >on older kit they tend to work happily if you use a bootable XP disk and
    >then format the drive, doing a clean install.

    Flattened the drive and clean install on NTFS. Do that every time.

    I even put a DVI card in and tried that on another monitor in case
    it was a graphics problem

    This PC runs just fine on any OS I have except XP.

    The only problems I have ever had with an XP install on older kit has
    sometimes been drivers missing for graphics etc. .

    Just wondered if anyone had come across a whole PC that wouldn't work
    with XP. At present it's running a CLI hardware diagnostic prog. I'll
    see what the results are in the morning.

    No problems if I can't get it working. I'll stick ubuntu on it and
    pass it on to someone who can use it.
    Alfred, Jan 24, 2007
  4. Alfred

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Alfred wrote:
> [...]

    >> When you install XP are you formatting the disk drive using NTFS or
    >> doing it as an upgrade type install over 98? When I've done XP
    >> installs on older kit they tend to work happily if you use a
    >> bootable XP disk and then format the drive, doing a clean install.
    >>

    > Flattened the drive and clean install on NTFS. Do that every time.
    >
    > I even put a DVI card in and tried that on another monitor in case
    > it was a graphics problem
    >
    > This PC runs just fine on any OS I have except XP.
    >
    > The only problems I have ever had with an XP install on older kit has
    > sometimes been drivers missing for graphics etc. .
    >
    > Just wondered if anyone had come across a whole PC that wouldn't work
    > with XP. At present it's running a CLI hardware diagnostic prog. I'll
    > see what the results are in the morning.
    >
    > No problems if I can't get it working. I'll stick ubuntu on it and

    In my experience, it really is the memory. While memory testers provide
    pretty decent results, they aren't putting the strain on the system like XP
    does. I've had the exact same problem in the past, and replacing the RAM
    with some good quality stuff cleared it right up, yet the same RAM had
    worked perfectly in Windows 98.
    WhzzKdd, Jan 24, 2007
  5. Alfred

    Guest

    Alfred <> wrote:

    >I have a couple of 6 yr old Edge PCs. Office machines
    >Spec
    >Board: i815-W83627HF
    >Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    >BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 11/02/2000
    >866 megahertz Intel Pentium III
    >384 MB RAM.
    >Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
    >
    >The machine is a higher spec than others I have running XP with about
    >the same amount of memory. All the rest work okay but they are from
    >different manufacturers.
    >
    >Both were quite happy running Win98SE. One still is happy doing that.
    >USe it as a file server 24/7. The other I installed XPpro SP2. This
    >one started freezing as soon as the user tried any sub menu. Didn't
    >matter if it was on a right click of the mouse or going into the
    >toolbar and clicking on any item the machine just froze and even
    >ctr/alt/del wouldn't free it. Nor would just waiting. Impossible to
    >use anything except command line test software as any GUI based one
    >just freezes.
    >
    >The processor is not overheating. The memory checks out okay on test.
    >The machine runs okay on W98 SE and Ubuntu and Knoppix but not XP.
    >I've reinstalled XP and not cured it. Reseated plugs boards and
    >cables. Cleaned edge connectors.
    >
    >The only thing I haven't done is look for a new graphics driver or
    >updated BIOS. Haven't installed W2000 either but I might try it.
    >
    >Could it be I have a machine that is simply incompatible with XPpro?

    Drivers?

    Xp has a drive verifier

    Start | Run <type in>
    CMD /K verifier /?
    <enter>

    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=22085&rl=1
    Kind of a hard core diagnosis process but it might work.

    F8 - last known decent config, if you run into problems.
    --
    Grab Your own.
    http://www.milinkito.com/los80.php
  6. Alfred

    M Guest

    "Alfred" <> wrote in message

    > I have a couple of 6 yr old Edge PCs. Office machines
    > Spec
    > Board: i815-W83627HF
    > Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    > BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 11/02/2000
    > 866 megahertz Intel Pentium III
    > 384 MB RAM.
    > Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
    >
    > The machine is a higher spec than others I have running XP with about
    > the same amount of memory. All the rest work okay but they are from
    > different manufacturers.
    >
    > Both were quite happy running Win98SE. One still is happy doing that.
    > USe it as a file server 24/7. The other I installed XPpro SP2. This
    > one started freezing as soon as the user tried any sub menu. Didn't
    > matter if it was on a right click of the mouse or going into the
    > toolbar and clicking on any item the machine just froze and even
    > ctr/alt/del wouldn't free it. Nor would just waiting. Impossible to
    > use anything except command line test software as any GUI based one
    > just freezes.
    >
    > The processor is not overheating. The memory checks out okay on test.
    > The machine runs okay on W98 SE and Ubuntu and Knoppix but not XP.
    > I've reinstalled XP and not cured it. Reseated plugs boards and
    > cables. Cleaned edge connectors.
    >
    > The only thing I haven't done is look for a new graphics driver or
    > updated BIOS. Haven't installed W2000 either but I might try it.
    >
    > Could it be I have a machine that is simply incompatible with XPpro?

    I don't know if this helps but the only PC I had a problem installing XP on
    had an unshielded IDE cable for the hard drive. When this was replaced with
    a shielded one everything was OK. Windows 98 seemsto be more tolerant of
    second rate hardware!
    M, Jan 24, 2007
  7. Alfred

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:59:40 -0800, "WhzzKdd"
    <> wrote:

    >> The only problems I have ever had with an XP install on older kit has
    >> sometimes been drivers missing for graphics etc. .
    >>
    >> Just wondered if anyone had come across a whole PC that wouldn't work
    >> with XP. At present it's running a CLI hardware diagnostic prog. I'll
    >> see what the results are in the morning.
    >>
    >> No problems if I can't get it working. I'll stick ubuntu on it and
    >> pass it on to someone who can use it.

    >In my experience, it really is the memory. While memory testers provide
    >pretty decent results, they aren't putting the strain on the system like XP
    >does. I've had the exact same problem in the past, and replacing the RAM
    >with some good quality stuff cleared it right up, yet the same RAM had
    >worked perfectly in Windows 98.

    Memory testing shows okay but I suspect you are right. The kit is all
    old and some memory was salvaged from other PCs in order to boost it
    for XP.

    Thanks to everyone for advice but I think the machine will be getting
    donated to another user with a Linux OS on it.

    Alfred, Jan 25, 2007