"PC/IF" Port ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Sep 22, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Expect to be buying a radio scanner that apparently has a "PC/IF" port" for
    allowing the PC to talk to the radio to download frequency info., etc.

    This is a new one on me, but have to admit that I'm not too sharp with this
    stuff.

    So,

    What is a PC/IF" port, please ?

    My PC is a 3 year old Dell, with just a few USB (the old type) ports, and a
    serial and a parallel port.

    What would I have to add to my PC to be able to allow my PC to communicate
    with the scanner radio's PC/IF" port ?

    Would sure prefer something external and simple, so I don't have to get into
    the PC case, which is hard for me now at my age.

    Any type of conversion cable, or... ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Sep 22, 2007

  2. Robert11

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:13:58 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Expect to be buying a radio scanner that apparently has a "PC/IF" port" for
    >allowing the PC to talk to the radio to download frequency info., etc.

    Forgotten what model it was, you didn't say.

    >This is a new one on me, but have to admit that I'm not too sharp with this
    >stuff.

    :) RTFM first.

    >So,
    >
    >What is a PC/IF" port, please ?

    PC / InterFace.

    >My PC is a 3 year old Dell, with just a few USB (the old type) ports, and a
    >serial and a parallel port.
    >
    >What would I have to add to my PC to be able to allow my PC to communicate
    >with the scanner radio's PC/IF" port ?

    With no details can you answer this question?

    >Would sure prefer something external and simple, so I don't have to get into
    >the PC case, which is hard for me now at my age.

    With no details can you answer this question?

    >Any type of conversion cable, or... ?

    With no details can you answer this question?

    >Thanks,
    >Bob

    If you get around to finding the model numver there are several
    rec.radio , alt-ham-radio newsgroups, some are very specific topics and
    not for your question.

    Maybe alt.radio.scanner
    rec.radio.scanner

    Have a browse first from.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.radio.scanner/topics

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.scanner/topics
    the first 2 posts are posting guidelines and welcome info.

    Me

    why?, Sep 22, 2007

  3. Robert11

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Expect to be buying a radio scanner that apparently has a "PC/IF" port" for
    >allowing the PC to talk to the radio to download frequency info., etc.
    >
    >This is a new one on me, but have to admit that I'm not too sharp with this
    >stuff.
    >
    >So,
    >
    >What is a PC/IF" port, please ?
    >
    >My PC is a 3 year old Dell, with just a few USB (the old type) ports, and a
    >serial and a parallel port.
    >
    >What would I have to add to my PC to be able to allow my PC to communicate
    >with the scanner radio's PC/IF" port ?
    >
    >Would sure prefer something external and simple, so I don't have to get into
    >the PC case, which is hard for me now at my age.
    >
    >Any type of conversion cable, or... ?

    PC/IF Is PC/Interface.

    You didn't mention the name of the scanner, so I can't tell you. But
    you need to look in the manual for the scanner and see - the cable
    will likely either be USB or serial. If it's serial and your computer
    doesn't have a serial port, you can buy a USB to serial adapter.

    Evan Platt, Sep 22, 2007
  4. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Expect to be buying a radio scanner that apparently has a "PC/IF"
    > port" for allowing the PC to talk to the radio to download frequency
    > info., etc.

    Specifically what brand modelno scanner are you talking about?

    Uniden sells scanners which have a port for data transfer which cable
    connects to the computer's serial port.

    > My PC is a 3 year old Dell, with just a few USB (the old type) ports,
    > and a serial and a parallel port.

    This old article refers to that scanner-serial connectivity as a PC/IF
    cable http://www.starrsoft.com/software/Win96/Cables/cables.html

    That article also mentions USB cable connectivity.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 22, 2007