    I have checked all power supplies
    What happens now , Is there a Fuse inside the PC
    help /suggestions would be most welcome
    belto, Jan 23, 2009

  2. In message <c3sel.490$2>, "belto" wrote:
    > My grand daughter has asked for my unskilled help
    > Her PC will not start, no lights etc .
    > I have checked all power supplies

    How? Did you take a molex connector off a drive and see if you
    get voltage?

    > What happens now , Is there a Fuse inside the PC
    > help /suggestions would be most welcome

    Depends on make of PC, mobo etc.
    Probably a bad power supply unit. Either buy one and install it
    yourself or take it to a shop.

    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 23, 2009

  3. belto

    Helpful guy Guest

    "belto" <> wrote in message
    > My grand daughter has asked for my unskilled help
    > Her PC will not start, no lights etc .
    > I have checked all power supplies
    > What happens now , Is there a Fuse inside the PC

    There is no internal fuse that you can replace yourself, and even if there
    were it would have failed for a reason, such as a defective power supply.
    You will have to get skilled help to resolve this problem.

    Helpful guy, Jan 24, 2009
  4. belto

    G. Morgan Guest

    belto wrote:

    >My grand daughter has asked for my unskilled help
    >Her PC will not start, no lights etc .
    >I have checked all power supplies
    >What happens now , Is there a Fuse inside the PC
    >help /suggestions would be most welcome

    There is no replaceable fuse.

    What I would double check:

    1. Make *sure* the outlet your plugging into works (test it with a light or
    appliance)

    2. Make *sure* the main power cord is plugged it all the way (at both ends)

    3. Try a different power cord if you have one.

    4. Are the power or reset buttons stuck? -- press them a few times to
    exercise the switches. Do it with the AC cord unplugged.

    5. Open the case and look for wires disconnected,

    -- Check the power supply wires are seated to the motherboard
    -- Check for loose wires at the on/off switch

    If it's not something simple like that, you may need to replace the power
    supply. They are cheap, and you can easily do the job if you can hand a
    screwdriver.
    G. Morgan, Jan 24, 2009
  5. belto

    Helpful guy Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > belto wrote:
    >
    >>My grand daughter has asked for my unskilled help
    >>Her PC will not start, no lights etc .
    >>I have checked all power supplies
    >>What happens now , Is there a Fuse inside the PC
    >>help /suggestions would be most welcome

    > There is no replaceable fuse.
    >
    > What I would double check:
    >

    > 1. Make *sure* the outlet your plugging into works (test it with a light
    > or
    > appliance)
    >
    > 2. Make *sure* the main power cord is plugged it all the way (at both
    > ends)
    >
    > 3. Try a different power cord if you have one.

    Ok but how often does a power cord fail? Possible I suppose.

    > 4. Are the power or reset buttons stuck? -- press them a few times to
    > exercise the switches. Do it with the AC cord unplugged.
    >
    > 5. Open the case and look for wires disconnected,
    >
    > -- Check the power supply wires are seated to the motherboard
    > -- Check for loose wires at the on/off switch

    Ok but if your granddaughter is asking for your unskilled help then are you
    sure you'd know what a motherboard is?

    > If it's not something simple like that, you may need to replace the power
    > supply. They are cheap, and you can easily do the job if you can hand a
    > screwdriver.

    I replaced a power supply last week. I wasn't surprised that the owner
    didn't know what a power supply was, or even a screwdriver. I just did the
    job.

    Helpful guy, Jan 24, 2009
  6. belto

    G. Morgan Guest

    Helpful guy wrote:

    >Ok but how often does a power cord fail? Possible I suppose.

    It's a remote chance, I agree. But it's free and only takes a minute.

    >> 5. Open the case and look for wires disconnected,
    >>
    >> -- Check the power supply wires are seated to the motherboard
    >> -- Check for loose wires at the on/off switch

    >Ok but if your granddaughter is asking for your unskilled help then are you
    >sure you'd know what a motherboard is?

    I'm not a mechanic, but I know what a transmission looks like! I mean it's
    pretty obvious that giant board in there is "the mother" of all boards.

    >> If it's not something simple like that, you may need to replace the power
    >> supply. They are cheap, and you can easily do the job if you can hand a
    >> screwdriver.

    >I replaced a power supply last week. I wasn't surprised that the owner
    >didn't know what a power supply was, or even a screwdriver. I just did the
    >job.

    Yeah, some people just don't want to mess with it. I'd say it's pretty easy
    to do for someone who's never looked in a case. There must be millions of
    "how to's" on the Google's.

    --
    Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that,
    I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. -Jack Handey
    G. Morgan, Jan 24, 2009
  7. belto

    Helpful guy Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > Helpful guy wrote:
    >
    >>Ok but how often does a power cord fail? Possible I suppose.

    snip>
    > Yeah, some people just don't want to mess with it. I'd say it's pretty
    > easy
    > to do for someone who's never looked in a case. There must be millions of
    > "how to's" on the Google's.

    Relax.

    I don't think it would be easy to do for someone who's never looked inside
    the case.

    It's true that there are millions of "How To"s on Google, but that's only
    because there are millions of sites out there. Some may offer good advice,
    some may not. Do you have an example of a site offering good advice on how
    to replace a power supply? (I'm not saying there are none.)

    Helpful guy, Jan 24, 2009
  8. belto

    G. Morgan Guest

    Helpful guy wrote:

    >Do you have an example of a site offering good advice on how
    >to replace a power supply? (I'm not saying there are none.)

    2nd hit:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/362

    Looks pretty detailed.

    I'm sure OP can decide whether or not to attempt.

    G. Morgan, Jan 24, 2009
  9. On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 23:05:40 -0000
    "belto" <> wrote:

    > My grand daughter has asked for my unskilled help
    > Her PC will not start, no lights etc .
    > I have checked all power supplies
    > What happens now , Is there a Fuse inside the PC

    No. the fuse(es) is inside the powersupply.

    --
    Yow! Is my fallout shelter termite proof?
    Sven Svensson, Jan 24, 2009
  10. Helpful guy wrote:

    > "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message

    >> 2. Make *sure* the main power cord is plugged it all the way (at
    >> both ends)
    >>
    >> 3. Try a different power cord if you have one.

    > Ok but how often does a power cord fail? Possible I suppose.

    They do. Wires do break, or simply the plugs are not inserted tightly
    enough, or there are loose contacts. Often enough ...

    > I replaced a power supply last week. I wasn't surprised that the owner
    > didn't know what a power supply was, or even a screwdriver. I just did
    > the job.

    These days even 80yr old people use a computer. They do know
    screwdrivers, but appear to have no clue about handling them
    (anymore) ;-/.
    wisdomkiller @ pain, Jan 24, 2009
  11. belto

    belto Guest

    Thanks for all your comments & suggestions
    I have now replaced the Power supply with an old one I salvaged from a PC.
    Sucess

    How ever on boot up there is a statement

    Disk boot failure
    Insert System disk & press enter

    Entered set up and changed first bootdevice from CD Rom
    Changed to HD startup and saved,
    but still same message.

    Now at the limits of my knowledge

    Any more suggestions again most welcome

    belto, Jan 24, 2009
  12. belto wrote:

    > Thanks for all your comments & suggestions
    > I have now replaced the Power supply with an old one I salvaged from a
    > PC. Sucess
    >
    > How ever on boot up there is a statement
    >
    > Disk boot failure
    > Insert System disk & press enter
    >
    > Entered set up and changed first bootdevice from CD Rom
    > Changed to HD startup and saved,
    > but still same message.
    >
    > Now at the limits of my knowledge

    When replacing other parts, it often happens that harddrive and floppy
    cables get dislocated, either at the mainboard or at the drive side.
    Make sure the cable sits firmly.
    Also, make sure the connector from the powersupply to the drive is
    attached correctly.

    There may be a coincidence of a failing harddrive as well. That's when
    you'd have to exchange it and reinstall from whatever install media you
    got - and hopefully there is a backup for personal data on anoter
    drive/cd or wherever.
    wisdomkiller @ pain, Jan 24, 2009
  13. belto

    Helpful guy Guest

    "wisdomkiller @ pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Helpful guy wrote:
    >
    >> "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message

    >>> 2. Make *sure* the main power cord is plugged it all the way (at
    >>> both ends)
    >>>
    >>> 3. Try a different power cord if you have one.

    >> Ok but how often does a power cord fail? Possible I suppose.
    >>

    > They do. Wires do break, or simply the plugs are not inserted tightly
    > enough, or there are loose contacts. Often enough ...

    Ok they can fail but it's rare.
    In my experience the biggest problem with power connectors is that they are
    not inserted properly or stray feet under the desk knock them out. The owner
    doesn't notice and calls expert help when they only needed to push a power
    connector back in.

    Helpful guy, Jan 24, 2009
  14. belto

    catchme Guest

    Helpful guy wrote:
    > "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >> belto wrote:
    >>
    >>> My grand daughter has asked for my unskilled help
    >>> Her PC will not start, no lights etc .
    >>> I have checked all power supplies
    >>> What happens now , Is there a Fuse inside the PC
    >>> help /suggestions would be most welcome

    >> There is no replaceable fuse.
    >>
    >> What I would double check:
    >>

    >> 1. Make *sure* the outlet your plugging into works (test it with a light
    >> or
    >> appliance)
    >>
    >> 2. Make *sure* the main power cord is plugged it all the way (at both
    >> ends)
    >>
    >> 3. Try a different power cord if you have one.

    > Ok but how often does a power cord fail? Possible I suppose.

    actually i have a few power cords that have given out. One day when I go
    to gran's house, I will pull them all out of her closet and test them-
    if for no other reason than to help her get rid of some junk.
    On a side note-
    does this unskilled user know where the power switch is located?
    catchme, Jan 24, 2009
  15. belto

    catchme Guest

    G. Morgan wrote:

    >> job.

    > Yeah, some people just don't want to mess with it. I'd say it's pretty easy
    > to do for someone who's never looked in a case. There must be millions of
    > "how to's" on the Google's.

    the user's manual might be a better start, assuming the person wants to
    be beside the inoperative computer while finding a solution.
    catchme, Jan 24, 2009
  16. belto

    Helpful guy Guest

    "belto" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for all your comments & suggestions
    > I have now replaced the Power supply with an old one I salvaged from a PC.
    > Sucess
    >
    > How ever on boot up there is a statement
    >
    > Disk boot failure
    > Insert System disk & press enter
    >
    > Entered set up and changed first bootdevice from CD Rom
    > Changed to HD startup and saved,
    > but still same message.

    Use a voltmeter to make sure that the boot device has power.
    Is the boot device detected by the BIOS?

    Helpful guy, Jan 24, 2009
  17. belto

    Belto Guest

    Thanks guys for all your help

    Just to update
    I have replaced the power supply
    but I have a statement from monitor
    Insert system disk and press enter

    I do not have asystem disk

    Where do I go from here

    Belto, Jan 24, 2009
  18. belto

    thanatoid Guest

    www.bootdisk.com

    --
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
    Anais Nin
    thanatoid, Jan 24, 2009
  19. In message <>, "wisdomkiller @
    pain" wrote:
    > belto wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for all your comments & suggestions
    > > I have now replaced the Power supply with an old one I salvaged from a
    > > PC. Sucess
    > >
    > > How ever on boot up there is a statement
    > >
    > > Disk boot failure
    > > Insert System disk & press enter
    > >
    > > Entered set up and changed first bootdevice from CD Rom
    > > Changed to HD startup and saved,
    > > but still same message.
    > >
    > > Now at the limits of my knowledge
    > >

    > When replacing other parts, it often happens that harddrive and floppy
    > cables get dislocated, either at the mainboard or at the drive side.
    > Make sure the cable sits firmly.
    > Also, make sure the connector from the powersupply to the drive is
    > attached correctly.
    >
    > There may be a coincidence of a failing harddrive as well. That's when
    > you'd have to exchange it and reinstall from whatever install media you
    > got - and hopefully there is a backup for personal data on anoter
    > drive/cd or wherever.

    Right O, mate. Look to see if the little LED drive light blinks when it (trys)
    boots up to see if theres any activity.

    ^_^

    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 24, 2009
  20. belto

    G. Morgan Guest

    wisdomkiller @ pain wrote:

    >When replacing other parts, it often happens that harddrive and floppy
    >cables get dislocated, either at the mainboard or at the drive side.
    >Make sure the cable sits firmly.
    >Also, make sure the connector from the powersupply to the drive is
    >attached correctly.

    Ditto.

    >There may be a coincidence of a failing harddrive as well. That's when
    >you'd have to exchange it and reinstall from whatever install media you
    >got - and hopefully there is a backup for personal data on anoter
    >drive/cd or wherever.

    That's possible.

    I would also make sure as another poster suggested that the BIOS sees the
    drive.

    G. Morgan, Jan 24, 2009