    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.karyn.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ChrisOD Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > wow, nothing like an emerge system to heat up a machine...
    > I noticed the alarm going off, and have just added a deskfan to the
    > machines' side.
    >
    > alarm stopped now, but boy it must stress the machine.

    Ahh nothing like a good compile to burn out those cobwebs.

    ChrisOD, Oct 26, 2004

  3. ChrisOD wrote:
    >> wow, nothing like an emerge system to heat up a machine...
    >> I noticed the alarm going off, and have just added a deskfan to the
    >> machines' side.
    >> alarm stopped now, but boy it must stress the machine.

    > Ahh nothing like a good compile to burn out those cobwebs.

    getting through the gentoo install
    although a mammouth task, you learn a hell of a lot about/from it.

    the office has no need for heating today, it's rather warm in here. :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > ChrisOD wrote:
    >>> wow, nothing like an emerge system to heat up a machine...
    >>> I noticed the alarm going off, and have just added a deskfan to the
    >>> machines' side.
    >>> alarm stopped now, but boy it must stress the machine.

    >> Ahh nothing like a good compile to burn out those cobwebs.

    > getting through the gentoo install
    > although a mammouth task, you learn a hell of a lot about/from it.
    >
    > the office has no need for heating today, it's rather warm in here. :)

    You'll find it's OpenOffice.org and KDE that take the time.

    For a hint on speeding up application startup time look into the prelink
    topic on the Gentoo website. I have noticed a large difference since
    prelinking all of my binaries. It's as simple as:

    emerge prelink
    prelink -afmR

    The new version of portage (just released) allows to to see what needs
    recompiling because of a change in USE flags. Just do this:

    emerge -pv --newuse

    to see what needs to be recompiled.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Allistar wrote:
    > You'll find it's OpenOffice.org and KDE that take the time.
    > For a hint on speeding up application startup time look into the prelink
    > topic on the Gentoo website. I have noticed a large difference since
    > prelinking all of my binaries. It's as simple as:
    > emerge prelink
    > prelink -afmR
    > The new version of portage (just released) allows to to see what needs
    > recompiling because of a change in USE flags. Just do this:
    > emerge -pv --newuse
    > to see what needs to be recompiled.

    thanks for that...
    I ended up having to start again, I seem to have paged down and missed a
    step or two in the install instructions, but only noticed when I
    rebooted for the first time.

    it surely is a mission doing a Gentoo install, but man have I learned a
    heap.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> You'll find it's OpenOffice.org and KDE that take the time.
    >> For a hint on speeding up application startup time look into the prelink
    >> topic on the Gentoo website. I have noticed a large difference since
    >> prelinking all of my binaries. It's as simple as:
    >> emerge prelink
    >> prelink -afmR
    >> The new version of portage (just released) allows to to see what needs
    >> recompiling because of a change in USE flags. Just do this:
    >> emerge -pv --newuse
    >> to see what needs to be recompiled.

    > thanks for that...
    > I ended up having to start again, I seem to have paged down and missed a
    > step or two in the install instructions, but only noticed when I
    > rebooted for the first time.
    >
    > it surely is a mission doing a Gentoo install, but man have I learned a
    > heap.

    My first install was a mission, but the 3 after athat were easy - once
    you've done it once doing it again is simple. I found the instructions on
    the web to be very concise and helpful. The only part where you need to
    make a real decision is with the partitioning of disks and USE flags.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 28, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:24:30 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > it surely is a mission doing a Gentoo install, but man have I learned a
    > heap.

    Sure is. However at the end of the day/week/month you have a system which
    is built for your system. The Gentoo penguin is small and fast. Catching
    her is the problem. ;-)
    Gordon, Oct 28, 2004