    Thanks in advance.
    Shawn
    , Jan 9, 2006

  2. Mark Mandell Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Just a few questions, if I might.
    >
    > I have an HP Pavillion 8570C that is a few years old.
    > It still has the original 19g HD.
    > I upgraded the os from win98 to win2k.
    >
    > I reinstalled the os about 6 months ago.
    >
    > I'm having problems with the pc locking up relatively regularly.
    > I'm wondering what the most likely suspect might be.
    > 1. HD going bad. Tested w/ norton and scandisc and found no problems.
    > 2. Bad ram. New norton stuff won't test that like old norton did.
    > Can I still use earlier versions to test ram in win2k?
    > 3. Application conflicts.
    > 4. Something else.
    >
    > Is this a good enough stock machine that I can just start replacing
    > stuff to find the culprit and improve the overall system; ie, new hd,
    > new ram?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Shawn

    Test RAM with memtest86 available at memtest86.com. Also check the cpu temp
    in the BIOS setup.

    Mark Mandell, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Erick Guest

    Also, use the hard drive manufactuer's diagnostic utility, and not Norton or
    the Windows-based scanners, as they can't test as in depth.

    "Mark Mandell" <> wrote in message

    Erick, Jan 10, 2006
  4. Plato Guest

    Erick wrote:

    > Also, use the hard drive manufactuer's diagnostic utility, and not Norton or
    > the Windows-based scanners, as they can't test as in depth.

    Agreed. One really needs a fresh boot to dos to do proper hardware
    analysis.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 11, 2006
  5. D S Guest

    No doubt you need more memory(RAM). Go to www.crucial.com .They can tell
    you how much RAM you have.
    By modern standards, 512 MB RAM is an adequate amount to have.
    There could be other things to work on. But you need the memory no
    matter what. If your pc will only hold 256MB RAM, Don't worry you can
    get by on 256MB.
    D S, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Guest

    Yup. It'll only take 256.
    I'll try the memtest here right quick.
    Is there any other diagnostic software that can check other misc
    components; video card, monitor, etc.
    Norton used to do all that and, unfortunately, all my old norton stuff
    is on 5.25" floppies.

    Thanks
    Shawn
    , Jan 12, 2006
  7. Plato Guest

    D S wrote:

    > No doubt you need more memory(RAM). Go to www.crucial.com .They can tell
    > you how much RAM you have.
    > By modern standards, 512 MB RAM is an adequate amount to have.

    If you use Photoshop, then 1 gig is needed.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 13, 2006
  8. JD Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:43c742cf$0$11807$:

    > D S wrote:
    >>
    >> No doubt you need more memory(RAM). Go to www.crucial.com .They can

    tell
    >> you how much RAM you have.
    >> By modern standards, 512 MB RAM is an adequate amount to have.

    > If you use Photoshop, then 1 gig is needed.
    >
    >> There could be other things to work on. But you need the memory no
    >> matter what. If your pc will only hold 256MB RAM, Don't worry you can
    >> get by on 256MB.

    If you right click the "My PC" icon it'll tell you how much RAM you
    have. I have 512MB of Ram, but 32MB of that is for the video card
    (shares memory with the system memory), so I only have 480 net MB RAM.
    As for me, I have an Athlon XP2200 system with an MSI mobo with built in
    video/audio/networking. It seems to get sluggish when I have "Photo
    Impact XL", Internet Explorer, Real Player, MS Office/Frontpage, etc.
    all open at once. Is my bottleneck more likely the RAM or CPU? Or a
    combo of both? I'm thinking RAM is most likely my problem?

    JD, Jan 19, 2006
  9. Erick Guest

    You're bottleneck is a combination of RAM and video, namely you need a video
    card instead of the onboard. The CPU itself should be able to handle the
    apps all being open simultaneously, so long as the resources are available.

    Erick, Jan 20, 2006