    I know the main OS hard drive needs to be on Primary master...but not sure
    on the rest of the HW for best performance.

    Thanks

    CLUCAS, Dec 21, 2005

  2. CLUCAS

    tehball Guest

    Re: PC Hardware Setup - Primary/Secondary Slave/Master

    CLUCAS wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I'm adding some new hardware to my PC and just wanted to know what the best
    > setup would be.
    >
    > This is the setup:
    >
    > Main Hard drive to boot off, just for the OS and software
    > Data hard drive for all MP3's, videos, photos and other data
    > DVD RW for copying data to DVDs and watching movies
    > CD RW....used now and again for reading and burning CD's
    >
    > I know the main OS hard drive needs to be on Primary master...but not sure
    > on the rest of the HW for best performance.
    >
    > Thanks

    This assumes all IDE devices

    First off, the OS does not have to be on Primary master. It can reside
    on a slave with no issues.

    DVD RW Primary Master
    OS Primary Slave
    CD RW Secondary Master
    Data Drive Secondary Slave

    Note: Some times using cable select jumpers does not work out so well.
    If you run into problems with devices being detected use the master
    slave jumpers instead. I would suggest configuring the Primary chain
    first. Boot and make sure in detects OK. Configure the Secondary chain
    next.

    Good luck

    tehball, Dec 21, 2005

  3. CLUCAS, <>, the snot-nosed, thrown and twisted howler
    monkey, and employee who empties cesspits and backyard toilets, squeaked:

    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I'm adding some new hardware to my PC and just wanted to know what
    > the best setup would be.
    >
    > This is the setup:
    >
    > Main Hard drive to boot off, just for the OS and software
    > Data hard drive for all MP3's, videos, photos and other data
    > DVD RW for copying data to DVDs and watching movies
    > CD RW....used now and again for reading and burning CD's
    >
    > I know the main OS hard drive needs to be on Primary master...but not
    > sure on the rest of the HW for best performance.
    >
    > Thanks

    The best set-up is to have each device as master on it's own channel.
    You didn't mention the spec of the motherboard nor of your drives but lets
    assume you bought cheap.
    Placing a pio device on the same cable as your primary, bootable, hard drive
    is what stupid cunts like tehball would do.
    I've seen many PCs that have been sold by local computer shops that have
    been poorly configured, no, that's far too inaccurate and too fucking
    polite. I've seen many system that have been set-up by ****-headed, useless
    cunts and sold to some poor unsuspecting ****.

    Anyway, if you have a cheap nasty motherboard then you'll want to grab
    yourself a PCI ATA card for your hard drives and use the on-board IDE
    channels for your optical drives.

    HTH

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Dec 21, 2005
  4. CLUCAS

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham wrote:
    > CLUCAS, <>, the snot-nosed, thrown and twisted howler
    > monkey, and employee who empties cesspits and backyard toilets, squeaked:
    >
    > > Hi Guys,
    > >
    > > I'm adding some new hardware to my PC and just wanted to know what
    > > the best setup would be.
    > >
    > > This is the setup:
    > >
    > > Main Hard drive to boot off, just for the OS and software
    > > Data hard drive for all MP3's, videos, photos and other data
    > > DVD RW for copying data to DVDs and watching movies
    > > CD RW....used now and again for reading and burning CD's
    > >
    > > I know the main OS hard drive needs to be on Primary master...but not
    > > sure on the rest of the HW for best performance.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > The best set-up is to have each device as master on it's own channel.
    > You didn't mention the spec of the motherboard nor of your drives but lets
    > assume you bought cheap.
    > Placing a pio device on the same cable as your primary, bootable, hard drive
    > is what stupid cunts like tehball would do.
    > I've seen many PCs that have been sold by local computer shops that have
    > been poorly configured, no, that's far too inaccurate and too fucking
    > polite. I've seen many system that have been set-up by ****-headed, useless
    > cunts and sold to some poor unsuspecting ****.
    >
    > Anyway, if you have a cheap nasty motherboard then you'll want to grab
    > yourself a PCI ATA card for your hard drives and use the on-board IDE
    > channels for your optical drives.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > For my own part, I have never had a thought which I could not set down
    > in words with even more distinctness than that with which I conceived
    > it. There is, however, a class of fancies of exquisite delicacy which
    > are not thoughts, and to which as yet I have found it absolutely
    > impossible to adapt to language. These fancies arise in the soul, alas
    > how rarely. Only at epochs of most intense tranquillity, when the
    > bodily and mental health are in perfection. And at those weird points
    > of time, where the confines of the waking world blend with the world of
    > dreams. And so I captured this fancy, where all that we see, or seem,
    > is but a dream within a dream.

    Your ignorance and stupidity are clearly displayed by

    A) The fact that you can live with yourself.
    B) You run your optical devices in PIO mode rather than DMA or Ultra
    DMA
    C) IDE controllers are now asynchronous ( I typed that slowly so your
    reading skills can keep up) which means different devices with
    different ATA speeds can run on the same channel and not affect each
    others speed.

    He asked how to configure 4 devices on two channels. I posted a clear
    desciption of how to do that.

    You have him running off to the computer store buying hardware he
    doesn't need.

    Good one

    tehball, Dec 21, 2005
  5. Re: PC Hardware Setup - Primary/Secondary Slave/Master

    tehball, <>, the smoldering, morbid bus driver, and
    employee who works in public houses washing and removing dirty pots and does
    other menial tasks, cautioned:

    > <HACK!!> <BITCHSLAP!>
    > I posted a clear

    Did you?

    > desciption ....

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

    <Aside: Humourless ****>

    --
    It's all Greek to me

    Marcario Tsirimokos, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Re: PC Hardware Setup - Primary/Secondary Slave/Master

    tehball, <>, the putrescent, horrifying pigeon-egg, and
    cannery process operator, objurgated:

> [...]

    >> of time, where the confines of the waking world blend with the world
    >> of dreams. And so I captured this fancy, where all that we see, or
    >> seem,
    >> is but a dream within a dream.

    > Your ignorance and stupidity are clearly displayed by
    >
    > A) The fact that you can live with yourself.
    > B) You run your optical devices in PIO mode rather than DMA or Ultra
    > DMA
    > C) IDE controllers are now asynchronous ( I typed that slowly so your
    > reading skills can keep up) which means different devices with
    > different ATA speeds can run on the same channel and not affect each
    > others speed.
    >
    > He asked how to configure 4 devices on two channels. I posted a clear
    > desciption of how to do that.
    >
    > You have him running off to the computer store buying hardware he

    Read this slowly you stupid ****, hopefully you'll eventually get it.

    "You didn't mention the spec of the motherboard nor of your drives"

    Now mouth the words you typed and see if the penny drops.

    Try it several times.

    If and when you give up on that perhaps you'd care to explain why you
    believe I run anything at all in PIO mode.

    <aside to everyone else>
    What's the betting the dumb **** works in a computer shoppe?

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Dec 21, 2005
  7. CLUCAS

    relic Guest

> [...]

    >> DMA
    >> C) IDE controllers are now asynchronous ( I typed that slowly so your
    >> reading skills can keep up) which means different devices with
    >> different ATA speeds can run on the same channel and not affect each
    >> others speed.
    >>
    >> He asked how to configure 4 devices on two channels. I posted a clear
    >> desciption of how to do that.
    >>
    >> You have him running off to the computer store buying hardware he
    >> doesn't need.
    >>
    >> Good one

    > Read this slowly you stupid ****, hopefully you'll eventually get it.
    >
    > "You didn't mention the spec of the motherboard nor of your drives"
    >
    > Now mouth the words you typed and see if the penny drops.
    >
    > Try it several times.
    >
    > If and when you give up on that perhaps you'd care to explain why you
    > believe I run anything at all in PIO mode.

    Given.

    He could use "Dropped tehball"

    --
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

    relic, Dec 21, 2005
  8. CLUCAS

    Rod Speed Guest

    CLUCAS <> wrote

    > I'm adding some new hardware to my PC and just wanted to know what the best
    > setup would be.

    > This is the setup:

    > Main Hard drive to boot off, just for the OS and software
    > Data hard drive for all MP3's, videos, photos and other data
    > DVD RW for copying data to DVDs and watching movies
    > CD RW....used now and again for reading and burning CD's

    > I know the main OS hard drive needs to be on Primary master...

    Doesnt actually have to be, but it does simplify things that way.

    > but not sure on the rest of the HW for best performance.

    You wouldnt be able to pick it in a proper double blind trial.

    Basically do what is easiest mechanically, and that usually
    means both of the hard drives on the 80 wire ribbon cable
    because they are both in the 3.5" drive bay stack and the
    optical drives on the other ribbon cable, basically because
    they are in the 5" drive bay stack. Doesnt really matter which
    is master and which is slave, so make the DVD drive master.
    Use an 80 wire ribbon cable for that too if its a decent modern
    DVD burner.

    Rod Speed, Dec 23, 2005
  9. CLUCAS

    Rod Speed Guest

    Re: PC Hardware Setup - Primary/Secondary Slave/Master

    tehball <> wrote
    > CLUCAS wrote

    >> I'm adding some new hardware to my PC and
    >> just wanted to know what the best setup would be.

    >> This is the setup:

    >> Main Hard drive to boot off, just for the OS and software
    >> Data hard drive for all MP3's, videos, photos and other data
    >> DVD RW for copying data to DVDs and watching movies
    >> CD RW....used now and again for reading and burning CD's

    >> I know the main OS hard drive needs to be on Primary master...
    >> but not sure on the rest of the HW for best performance.

    > This assumes all IDE devices

    > First off, the OS does not have to be on Primary
    > master. It can reside on a slave with no issues.

    > DVD RW Primary Master
    > OS Primary Slave

    No point in that arrangement.

    > CD RW Secondary Master
    > Data Drive Secondary Slave

    Or that either.

    > Note: Some times using cable select jumpers does not work out so well.

    Bullshit.

    > If you run into problems with devices being detected use the master
    > slave jumpers instead. I would suggest configuring the Primary chain first.
    > Boot and make sure in detects OK. Configure the Secondary chain next.

    Gets sillier by the minute.

    Rod Speed, Dec 23, 2005
  10. CLUCAS

    Rod Speed Guest

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham <> wrote
    > CLUCAS, <> wrote

    >> I'm adding some new hardware to my PC and just
    >> wanted to know what the best setup would be.

    >> This is the setup:
    >>

    >> Data hard drive for all MP3's, videos, photos and other data
    >> DVD RW for copying data to DVDs and watching movies
    >> CD RW....used now and again for reading and burning CD's

    >> I know the main OS hard drive needs to be on Primary master...
    >> but not sure on the rest of the HW for best performance.

    > The best set-up is to have each device as master on it's own channel.

    Mindless silly stuff.

    > You didn't mention the spec of the motherboard nor
    > of your drives but lets assume you bought cheap.

    > Placing a pio device

    There are no pio devices in his list.

    > on the same cable as your primary, bootable,
    > hard drive is what stupid cunts like tehball would do.

    > I've seen many PCs that have been sold by local computer shops
    > that have been poorly configured, no, that's far too inaccurate and
    > too fucking polite. I've seen many system that have been set-up by
    > ****-headed, useless cunts and sold to some poor unsuspecting ****.

    > Anyway, if you have a cheap nasty motherboard then you'll
    > want to grab yourself a PCI ATA card for your hard drives
    > and use the on-board IDE channels for your optical drives.

    Wota terminal fuckwit.

    Rod Speed, Dec 23, 2005
  11. Re: PC Hardware Setup - Primary/Secondary Slave/Master

    On or about 23/12/05, "Rod Speed" <>, the deficient
    welfare bum and indecent back-door burglar who likes animalistic butt
    banging with bats, and whose partner is a woman-of-Babylon with a puffy
    cockpit, wrote in <>:

    >> Note: Some times using cable select jumpers does not work out so
    >> well.

    > Bullshit.

    Bullshit yourself, Wodleypoo. Like you, cable select is a dismal failure.

    cum-gargling rubber-queen, Dec 23, 2005
  12. On or about 23/12/05, "Rod Speed" <>, the crippled
    ragbag and horny dirt-pipe rider who likes exotic bone smuggling with
    mountain goats, and whose partner is a sleepy-time-girl with a
    wringing-wet cock socket, wrote in <>:

    >> You didn't mention the spec of the motherboard nor
    >> of your drives but lets assume you bought cheap.

    >> Placing a pio device

    > There are no pio devices in his list.

    That would account for the sentence, which begins with the words, "You
    didn't mention..."

    > Wota terminal fuckwit.

    You want me to smash your fucking head in again, Wodleypoo? Metaphorically
    smash it in, that is. Hmmm? Well, chickenboi? BOK! BOK! BOKKARK!

    Haralambos Miriokefala, Dec 23, 2005
  13. On or about 23/12/05, "Rod Speed" <>, the
    piss-stained vagabond and delicate Miss Nancy who likes blood-thirsty
    anal defiling with geese, and whose partner is a shagstress with a
    quivering twat, wrote in <>:

    > CLUCAS <> wrote
    >
    >> I'm adding some new hardware to my PC and just wanted to know what
    >> the best setup would be.

    >> This is the setup:

    >> Main Hard drive to boot off, just for the OS and software
    >> Data hard drive for all MP3's, videos, photos and other data
    >> DVD RW for copying data to DVDs and watching movies
    >> CD RW....used now and again for reading and burning CD's

    >> I know the main OS hard drive needs to be on Primary master...

    > Doesnt actually have to be, but it does simplify things that way.
    >
    >> but not sure on the rest of the HW for best performance.

    > You wouldnt be able to pick it in a proper double blind trial.
    >
    > Basically do what is easiest mechanically, and that usually
    > means both of the hard drives on the 80 wire ribbon cable
    > because they are both in the 3.5" drive bay stack and the
    > optical drives on the other ribbon cable, basically because
    > they are in the 5" drive bay stack.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You fucking, stupid, assuming ****, Wodleypoo. I have
    a chieftec cabinet here. The 3.5" bays are too far away from the ATA headers
    on the MB so all the 3.5" drives are racked in removable cages, within cable
    distance of the headers.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHA! You fucking gormless fuckspittle.

    Halstead Chowville-Murdwell, Air Vice Marshal, 37t, Dec 23, 2005
  14. Rod Speed, <>, the knavish, gripping bitch, and officer
    of the royal household responsible for the royal cats, indoctrinated:

    > Lord Gazwad of Grantham <> wrote
    >> CLUCAS, <> wrote

    >>> I'm adding some new hardware to my PC and just
    >>> wanted to know what the best setup would be.

    >>> This is the setup:
    >>>

    >>> Data hard drive for all MP3's, videos, photos and other data
    >>> DVD RW for copying data to DVDs and watching movies
    >>> CD RW....used now and again for reading and burning CD's

    >>> I know the main OS hard drive needs to be on Primary master...
    >>> but not sure on the rest of the HW for best performance.

    >> The best set-up is to have each device as master on it's own channel.

    > Mindless silly stuff.
    >
    >> You didn't mention the spec of the motherboard nor
    >> of your drives but lets assume you bought cheap.

    >> Placing a pio device

    > There are no pio devices in his list.
    >
    >> on the same cable as your primary, bootable,
    >> hard drive is what stupid cunts like tehball would do.

    >> I've seen many PCs that have been sold by local computer shops
    >> that have been poorly configured, no, that's far too inaccurate and
    >> too fucking polite. I've seen many system that have been set-up by
    >> ****-headed, useless cunts and sold to some poor unsuspecting ****.

    >> Anyway, if you have a cheap nasty motherboard then you'll
    >> want to grab yourself a PCI ATA card for your hard drives
    >> and use the on-board IDE channels for your optical drives.

    > Wota terminal fuckwit.

    Either you only have one poorly functioning eyeball or one poorly
    functioning braincell.
    Which is it? You braindead, blind ****.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Dec 23, 2005
  15. CLUCAS

    Guest

    Re: PC Hardware Setup - Primary/Secondary Slave/Master

    > This assumes all IDE devices
    >
    > First off, the OS does not have to be on Primary master. It can reside
    > on a slave with no issues.

    > DVD RW Primary Master
    > OS Primary Slave
    > CD RW Secondary Master
    > Data Drive Secondary Slave
    >
    > Note: Some times using cable select jumpers does not work out so well.
    > If you run into problems with devices being detected use the master
    > slave jumpers instead. I would suggest configuring the Primary chain
    > first. Boot and make sure in detects OK. Configure the Secondary chain
    > next.
    >
    > Good luck

    , Jan 6, 2006
  16. CLUCAS

    Julie Guest

    Julie, Jan 6, 2006
  17. CLUCAS

    Rod Speed Guest

    Re: PC Hardware Setup - Primary/Secondary Slave/Master

    wrote

    >> This assumes all IDE devices

    >> First off, the OS does not have to be on Primary master.
    >> It can reside on a slave with no issues.

    Doesnt have to be.

    Rod Speed, Jan 7, 2006