    to venture?

    Thanks very much.

    Richard

    Richard Clarke, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Richard Clarke wrote:
    > just contemplating buying a 17" LCD monitor from PC Gear (www.pcmart.co.nz).
    > I've never dealt with them before. Does anyone here have any knowledge of
    > them or have dealt with them before? Any opinions or feedback you would care
    > to venture?

    I've dealt with the Auckland office, and found the owner to be annoying,
    but helpful.

    I've dealt with the dunedin office and find them a lot better.

    they also have the following domains.
    www.pcgear.co.nz
    www.pcgear-dunedin.co.nz
    www.pcgame.co.nz

    might have others, but unsure...

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Richard Clarke

    Harry Guest

    Richard Clarke wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > just contemplating buying a 17" LCD monitor from PC Gear
    > (www.pcmart.co.nz). I've never dealt with them before. Does anyone here
    > have any knowledge of them or have dealt with them before? Any opinions or
    > feedback you would care to venture?

    Yet another NZ company that doesn't accept credit cards.
    Like they want you to send them money first before they supply
    anything. Weird. And they spin this story about stolen credit cards
    being the reason they don't accept them.

    Strange that nearly all companies in every country bar NZ don't
    have a problem with credit cards. And it isn't like there
    are a whole lot of stolen credit cards out there that haven't been
    cancelled.

    I've already been ripped-off by two companies like this - both of
    them sponsors of PriceSpy.

    Personally I would stick to companies that accept credit cards.
    Protects both sides.

    Harry, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Hi Dave,

    sorry I meant PC Mart rather than PC Gear. An idea about them?

    Cheers

    Richard

    Richard Clarke, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Suddenly, Harry sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Personally I would stick to companies that accept credit cards.
    > Protects both sides.

    I guess, if they are running on ultra-low margins, they can't afford to
    have even a few transactions go west due to fraud...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Richard Clarke

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:46:23 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    <> had this to say:

    >Suddenly, Harry sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    >> Personally I would stick to companies that accept credit cards.
    >> Protects both sides.

    >I guess, if they are running on ultra-low margins, they can't afford to
    >have even a few transactions go west due to fraud...

    In which case how likely is it that they're going to be around to
    honour any warranty problems?

    Gurble, Oct 25, 2004
  7. Richard Clarke

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:38:01 +1300, Harry <> wrote:

    >Personally I would stick to companies that accept credit cards.
    >Protects both sides.

    It doesn't protect the seller Harry, banks have been known to reverse
    credit card transactions months after the event... leaving the seller
    out of pocket. Even if a stolen card gets approved via online
    authorisation the banks will still stiff the vendor down the track.

    They also charge like a wounded bull anyway, credit card charges are
    pretty high for most sellers.

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Oct 25, 2004
  8. Richard Clarke

    Harry Guest

    Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:38:01 +1300, Harry <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Personally I would stick to companies that accept credit cards.
    >>Protects both sides.

    > It doesn't protect the seller Harry, banks have been known to reverse
    > credit card transactions months after the event... leaving the seller
    > out of pocket. Even if a stolen card gets approved via online
    > authorisation the banks will still stiff the vendor down the track.

    Then take out insurance.

    > They also charge like a wounded bull anyway, credit card charges are
    > pretty high for most sellers.

    NZ has always been funny about money.
    Set up shop in Australia where there isn't such a problem.
    And channel your transactions through there.

    Harry, Oct 26, 2004
  9. Richard Clarke

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:38:01 +1300, Harry <> wrote:

    >Richard Clarke wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> just contemplating buying a 17" LCD monitor from PC Gear
    >> (www.pcmart.co.nz). I've never dealt with them before. Does anyone here
    >> have any knowledge of them or have dealt with them before? Any opinions or
    >> feedback you would care to venture?
    >>

    >Yet another NZ company that doesn't accept credit cards.
    >Like they want you to send them money first before they supply
    >anything. Weird. And they spin this story about stolen credit cards
    >being the reason they don't accept them.
    >
    >Strange that nearly all companies in every country bar NZ don't
    >have a problem with credit cards. And it isn't like there
    >are a whole lot of stolen credit cards out there that haven't been
    >cancelled.
    >
    >I've already been ripped-off by two companies like this - both of
    >them sponsors of PriceSpy.
    >
    >Personally I would stick to companies that accept credit cards.
    >Protects both sides.

    I walk past the Dunedin shop most days and have attempted to get parts
    through them before. I find that if they do not have the required
    item in stock at the time you are expected to pay for it first before
    they will get it. Did that with a mobo which never turned up.
    Eventually demanded my money back. I will not deal with them on any
    item that is not in stock again.

    GraB, Oct 26, 2004
  10. Richard Clarke

    Harry Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:38:01 +1300, Harry <> wrote:
    >
    >>Richard Clarke wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> just contemplating buying a 17" LCD monitor from PC Gear
    >>> (www.pcmart.co.nz). I've never dealt with them before. Does anyone here
    >>> have any knowledge of them or have dealt with them before? Any opinions
    >>> or feedback you would care to venture?
    >>>

    >>Yet another NZ company that doesn't accept credit cards.
    >>Like they want you to send them money first before they supply
    >>anything. Weird. And they spin this story about stolen credit cards
    >>being the reason they don't accept them.
    >>
    >>Strange that nearly all companies in every country bar NZ don't
    >>have a problem with credit cards. And it isn't like there
    >>are a whole lot of stolen credit cards out there that haven't been
    >>cancelled.
    >>
    >>I've already been ripped-off by two companies like this - both of
    >>them sponsors of PriceSpy.
    >>
    >>Personally I would stick to companies that accept credit cards.
    >>Protects both sides.

    > I walk past the Dunedin shop most days and have attempted to get parts
    > through them before. I find that if they do not have the required
    > item in stock at the time you are expected to pay for it first before
    > they will get it. Did that with a mobo which never turned up.
    > Eventually demanded my money back. I will not deal with them on any
    > item that is not in stock again.

    Yes, they tend to advertise products that are simply not available.
    Isn't that illegal? Why haven't they been prosecuted?
    Where is NZs equivalent of Australia's ACCC?

    Harry, Oct 26, 2004
  11. Suddenly, Gurble sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:46:23 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    > <> had this to say:
    >
    > >Suddenly, Harry sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > >> Personally I would stick to companies that accept credit cards.
    > >> Protects both sides.

    > >I guess, if they are running on ultra-low margins, they can't afford to
    > >have even a few transactions go west due to fraud...
    > >

    > In which case how likely is it that they're going to be around to
    > honour any warranty problems?

    True :)

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 28, 2004