    reputation?

    Cheers
    Rider
    Rider, Feb 2, 2005

  2. Rider wrote:
    > Has anyone ever dealt with PC Gear? I've seen a couple of things on their
    > site I'm interested in, but I've not heard of them before (stumbled across
    > the site by accident) and I'm curious if their service is good, backup,
    > reputation?

    been around for at least 2.5 years, I think at least 4, originally were
    wholesale only(long time ago so memory fading), but quickly started
    retail too.

    Auckland office was opened first, Dunedin
    store(www.pcgear-dunedin.co.nz) followed(~2.5-3 years ago).

    personally I prefer the Dunedin guys to deal with, mostly because
    they're local, only had one warranty issue with them, and it was sorted
    straight away. Auckland store manager I dont like, however, he did sort
    out the problems I was having in a reletivly timly manor.

    I deal with the Dunedin store on a monthly(ish) basis, and if they said
    to call the auckland one, I would, sp yeah, I find them fine.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 2, 2005

  3. Rider

    EMB Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > Has anyone ever dealt with PC Gear? I've seen a couple of things on their
    > site I'm interested in, but I've not heard of them before (stumbled across
    > the site by accident) and I'm curious if their service is good, backup,
    > reputation?

    I've dealt with their Auckland store and the service is decidedly
    average, backup is fine.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Feb 2, 2005
  4. In article <QIXLd.13966$>,
    says...
    > Has anyone ever dealt with PC Gear? I've seen a couple of things on their
    > site I'm interested in, but I've not heard of them before (stumbled across
    > the site by accident) and I'm curious if their service is good, backup,
    > reputation?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Rider

    If that's the one in Hamilton, I recently bought a game from them that
    nobody else in NZ stocks (they actually got it in from the States for me
    it turned out). I was shocked to find they charged me GST on top
    (Listing *games* gst exclusive? Not making that clear on the web page in
    the first place? Ferchrissakes!) Also they don't pay freight.

    So look for the kicker. Otherwise they said what they'd do, and they
    posted it promptly once they had the goods themselves.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Feb 2, 2005
  5. Rider

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:09:58 +1300, Peter Huebner
    <> says...
    > In article <QIXLd.13966$>,
    > says...
    > > Has anyone ever dealt with PC Gear? I've seen a couple of things on their
    > > site I'm interested in, but I've not heard of them before (stumbled across
    > > the site by accident) and I'm curious if their service is good, backup,
    > > reputation?
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Rider
    > >

    > If that's the one in Hamilton, I recently bought a game from them that
    > nobody else in NZ stocks (they actually got it in from the States for me
    > it turned out). I was shocked to find they charged me GST on top
    > (Listing *games* gst exclusive? Not making that clear on the web page in
    > the first place? Ferchrissakes!) Also they don't pay freight.

    whichver price the list, they are required by law to charge Gst to the
    customer they sell to - who can then decide whether to claim a refund or
    not

    That is how th Gst system works - and has always worked. Each reseller
    charges Gst to the person they are selling to. This Gst has to be paid to
    the tax department. The reseller can recover the Gst they paid to
    purchase goods by putting in a Gst return to the tax driods.
    Adder, Feb 2, 2005
  6. Rider

    JohnO Guest

    It took them several weeks to refund a cancelled order. That hacked me off a
    wee bit.
    JohnO, Feb 2, 2005
  7. Rider

    EMB Guest

    Adder wrote:

    > whichver price the list, they are required by law to charge Gst to the
    > customer they sell to - who can then decide whether to claim a refund or
    > not

    Indeed - this wasn't the point being raised. It is a generally accepted
    practise (and the fair-trading fraternity's view) that "retail" items be
    priced inclusive of GST (as most retail punters can't claim the GST back
    whenther they "decide" to or not).

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Feb 2, 2005
  8. Rider

    JohnO Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Adder wrote:
    >
    > > whichver price the list, they are required by law to charge Gst to the
    > > customer they sell to - who can then decide whether to claim a refund or
    > > not

    > Indeed - this wasn't the point being raised. It is a generally accepted
    > practise (and the fair-trading fraternity's view) that "retail" items be
    > priced inclusive of GST (as most retail punters can't claim the GST back
    > whenther they "decide" to or not).

    But this is not general practice wth computer shops as far as I'ev seen.
    JohnO, Feb 2, 2005
  9. Rider

    cowboyz Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> Adder wrote:
    >>
    >>> whichver price the list, they are required by law to charge Gst to
    >>> the customer they sell to - who can then decide whether to claim a
    >>> refund or not

    >> Indeed - this wasn't the point being raised. It is a generally
    >> accepted practise (and the fair-trading fraternity's view) that
    >> "retail" items be priced inclusive of GST (as most retail punters
    >> can't claim the GST back whenther they "decide" to or not).
    >>

    > But this is not general practice wth computer shops as far as I'ev
    > seen.

    You are right. It is not general practice but ti should be. I hate the
    "GST trick" with a vengence. And yes, I am self employed and do file GST
    returns. Not the point. I get very anti any company I deal with quoting
    GST ex prices. I like to know what they want me to write the cheque out
    for.

    For personal purchases I just ignore any company who quotes/advertises GST
    ex prices now a days. Can't stand it. I might miss out on a good deal
    every now and then but what I lose in good deals I make up in reserving my
    brain power not having to work out what the real price is.

    As a side point, I was wondering with the mire 10 (I think that is what it
    was) were advertising that they will pay the GST on items for a period of
    time as an advertising thing. Now, If I shopped there could I claim the
    GST back on the item I purchased being as I never paid the GST on it in the
    first place? ie. Buy a product for $90 and they charge me $81 then can I
    claim the $9 GST out of that $81? If so then should Mitre 10 pay that $9 as
    well charging me $72 for the item and then can I claim the $8 GST from
    that?? If I can then shouldn't Mitre 10 pay that $8 GST as well? then I
    would only have to pay......

    GST has grated on me since it was introduced. Companies playing off it
    pisses me off.
    cowboyz, Feb 2, 2005
  10. Rider

    EMB Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > As a side point, I was wondering with the mire 10 (I think that is what it
    > was) were advertising that they will pay the GST on items for a period of
    > time as an advertising thing. Now, If I shopped there could I claim the
    > GST back on the item I purchased being as I never paid the GST on it in the
    > first place? ie. Buy a product for $90 and they charge me $81 then can I
    > claim the $9 GST out of that $81? If so then should Mitre 10 pay that $9 as
    > well charging me $72 for the item and then can I claim the $8 GST from
    > that?? If I can then shouldn't Mitre 10 pay that $8 GST as well? then I
    > would only have to pay......

    It's a badly worded marketing ploy by Mitre 10. They are offering a
    12.5% discount (according to the flyer) but the purchase price will
    still include GST at 12.5%. The example till docket shown has crossed
    off the GST which is *not* how it's going to work (unless they are
    really confused as that is only an 11.1% discount).

    ie: normal retail is $81.00 including GST of $9.00

    their example is $72.00 including GST of $8.00

    actual 12.5% disc is $70.88 including GST of $7.88

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Feb 2, 2005
  11. Rider

    JohnO Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > As a side point, I was wondering with the mire 10 (I think that is what it
    > was) were advertising that they will pay the GST on items for a period of
    > time as an advertising thing. Now, If I shopped there could I claim the
    > GST back on the item I purchased being as I never paid the GST on it in

    the
    > first place? ie. Buy a product for $90 and they charge me $81 then can I
    > claim the $9 GST out of that $81? If so then should Mitre 10 pay that $9

    as
    > well charging me $72 for the item and then can I claim the $8 GST from
    > that?? If I can then shouldn't Mitre 10 pay that $8 GST as well? then I
    > would only have to pay......

    If the GST receipt says you paid gst then you can claim it. I suspect they
    issue reciepts saying zero GST. They still have to pay the gummint the gst
    on the price charged.

    > GST has grated on me since it was introduced. Companies playing off it
    > pisses me off.

    What pisses me off is the amount of time I have to spend as an unpaid tax
    collector for the gummint.
    JohnO, Feb 3, 2005
  12. Rider

    Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:41:20 +1300, "cowboyz" <> had this to
    say:

    >>> Indeed - this wasn't the point being raised. It is a generally
    >>> accepted practise (and the fair-trading fraternity's view) that
    >>> "retail" items be priced inclusive of GST (as most retail punters
    >>> can't claim the GST back whenther they "decide" to or not).

    It's not just "accepted practice". It's the law. Prices MUST include
    GST, unless the business is predominantly selling to other businesses
    (who work in ex-GST). Online computer shops cannot claim this, and
    purely do it to suck people in to thinking they will pay less, until
    the purchasing decision has been made.

    When people think of 12.5%, they generally think of 10% (because it's
    easy to work out) plus a wee bit.

    >> But this is not general practice wth computer shops as far as I'ev
    >> seen.

    And is only allowed to happen because we've got a pathetic excuse for
    a Commerce Commission.

    >As a side point, I was wondering with the mire 10 (I think that is what it
    >was) were advertising that they will pay the GST on items for a period of
    >time as an advertising thing. Now, If I shopped there could I claim the
    >GST back on the item I purchased being as I never paid the GST on it in the
    >first place? ie. Buy a product for $90 and they charge me $81 then can I
    >claim the $9 GST out of that $81? If so then should Mitre 10 pay that $9 as
    >well charging me $72 for the item and then can I claim the $8 GST from
    >that?? If I can then shouldn't Mitre 10 pay that $8 GST as well? then I
    >would only have to pay......

    Actually, it's a nice wee scam that most people haven't cottoned onto
    yet.

    Everyone thinks it's a 12.5% discount, but it's NOT. It's simply a
    11.11% discount, that the marketing people said would be good to call
    a "We pay the GST Sale", because people would think it was a 12.5%
    discount.

    Let's do the maths.

    $990 = $880 + (12.5% of $880).

    So, if something is normally $990, they'll do it for $880, meaning a
    discount of $110.

    However, 12.5% of $990 is $123.80, meaning that the discount is $12.80
    less than you thought it was!
    Gurble, Feb 3, 2005
  13. Rider

    Crash Guest

    "Gurble" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:41:20 +1300, "cowboyz" <> had this to
    > say:

    > It's not just "accepted practice". It's the law. Prices MUST include
    > GST, unless the business is predominantly selling to other businesses
    > (who work in ex-GST). Online computer shops cannot claim this, and
    > purely do it to suck people in to thinking they will pay less, until
    > the purchasing decision has been made.

    My recollection is slightly different - that the legislation passed to bring
    in GST specified that if any price advertised did NOT include GST then this
    must be explicitly stated nin the same advertisement. It is common
    prtactice, in my experience, to see every price qualified by 'excluding GST'
    or to see an 'all prices exclude GST'. If I bought a product at a price
    with no qualification in respect to GST then I would refuse to complete the
    sale if GST was then added.

    Crash.
    Crash, Feb 3, 2005
  14. Rider

    Adder Guest

    In article <ctrkr9$cmd$> in nz.comp on Thu, 03 Feb 2005
    11:39:38 +1300, EMB <> says...
    > Adder wrote:
    >
    > > whichver price the list, they are required by law to charge Gst to the
    > > customer they sell to - who can then decide whether to claim a refund or
    > > not

    > Indeed - this wasn't the point being raised. It is a generally accepted
    > practise (and the fair-trading fraternity's view) that "retail" items be
    > priced inclusive of GST (as most retail punters can't claim the GST back
    > whenther they "decide" to or not).

    gst exclusive is common
    you would have a point if it was not mae clear that prices are Gst
    excklusive
    Adder, Feb 3, 2005
  15. Rider

    Mutlley Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote:

    >"Gurble" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:41:20 +1300, "cowboyz" <> had this to
    >> say:

    >> It's not just "accepted practice". It's the law. Prices MUST include
    >> GST, unless the business is predominantly selling to other businesses
    >> (who work in ex-GST). Online computer shops cannot claim this, and
    >> purely do it to suck people in to thinking they will pay less, until
    >> the purchasing decision has been made.

    >My recollection is slightly different - that the legislation passed to bring
    >in GST specified that if any price advertised did NOT include GST then this
    >must be explicitly stated nin the same advertisement. It is common
    >prtactice, in my experience, to see every price qualified by 'excluding GST'
    >or to see an 'all prices exclude GST'. If I bought a product at a price
    >with no qualification in respect to GST then I would refuse to complete the
    >sale if GST was then added.
    >
    >Crash.

    The worst example of this blatant misleading pricing must in such
    publications like Trade and Exchange where all the computer store ads
    are all X GST.. I once sent the publisher a letter about this. They
    thanked me for the info but nothing ever happened. Don't want to
    upset their paid advertizers..
    Mutlley, Feb 3, 2005