PC Freezing After Several Hours Of Use: Possibilities As To Why ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jan 10, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Running W98 on a 5 year old Dell Dim XPS R.

    Everything 9more or less) works fine, except quite often aftewr several
    hours of use, or just on with no actual use, the PC totally freezes.

    ALL keys, and mouse cursor totally frozen.
    Control-Alt-Del also frozen.

    Thought at first it might be a heat build up in case, but room is actually
    fairly cool, so not sure if the heat buildup in thecase is a good
    possibility.
    Maybe, but... ?
    Fans in case seem to be unblocked and working fine.

    After re-booting, everything is fine for several hours, again.

    What might be some of the other possibilities to check out ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Robert11 said:

    > Hello:
    >
    > Running W98 on a 5 year old Dell Dim XPS R.
    >
    > Everything 9more or less) works fine, except quite often aftewr several
    > hours of use, or just on with no actual use, the PC totally freezes.
    >
    > ALL keys, and mouse cursor totally frozen.
    > Control-Alt-Del also frozen.
    >
    > Thought at first it might be a heat build up in case, but room is actually
    > fairly cool, so not sure if the heat buildup in thecase is a good
    > possibility.
    > Maybe, but... ?
    > Fans in case seem to be unblocked and working fine.
    >
    > After re-booting, everything is fine for several hours, again.
    >
    > What might be some of the other possibilities to check out ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Just one of the quirks of 98
    Try upgrading to 2000.
    Brian H¹©, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Boomer Guest

    Brian H¹©, <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    > Robert11 said:
    >
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> Running W98 on a 5 year old Dell Dim XPS R.
    >>
    >> Everything 9more or less) works fine, except quite often aftewr
    >> several hours of use, or just on with no actual use, the PC
    >> totally freezes.
    >>
    >> ALL keys, and mouse cursor totally frozen.
    >> Control-Alt-Del also frozen.
    >>
    >> Thought at first it might be a heat build up in case, but room
    >> is actually fairly cool, so not sure if the heat buildup in
    >> thecase is a good possibility.
    >> Maybe, but... ?
    >> Fans in case seem to be unblocked and working fine.
    >>
    >> After re-booting, everything is fine for several hours, again.
    >>
    >> What might be some of the other possibilities to check out ?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bob

    > Just one of the quirks of 98
    > Try upgrading to 2000.

    I can go for days and days and days without my '98 freezing. :)
    On 24/7.

    Win2k sounds really nice though. :)
    Boomer, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    The list is endless, but you can be sure that it's either
    driver related, or hardware related. You need to do
    some detective work, and try to narrow down what
    processes or applications you have running, or what
    you are doing with the system, specifically, when it
    happens. It's not easy, but it can be done, with
    persistence.

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:58:51 -0500, in
    <>
    Robert11 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Robert11

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Boomer said:

    > Brian H¹©, <> wrote:
    >
    >> Robert11 said:
    >>
    >>> Hello:
    >>>
    >>> Running W98 on a 5 year old Dell Dim XPS R.
    >>>
    >>> Everything 9more or less) works fine, except quite often aftewr
    >>> several hours of use, or just on with no actual use, the PC
    >>> totally freezes.
    >>>
    >>> ALL keys, and mouse cursor totally frozen.
    >>> Control-Alt-Del also frozen.
    >>>
    >>> Thought at first it might be a heat build up in case, but room
    >>> is actually fairly cool, so not sure if the heat buildup in
    >>> thecase is a good possibility.
    >>> Maybe, but... ?
    >>> Fans in case seem to be unblocked and working fine.
    >>>
    >>> After re-booting, everything is fine for several hours, again.
    >>>
    >>> What might be some of the other possibilities to check out ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Bob

    >> Just one of the quirks of 98
    >> Try upgrading to 2000.

    > I can go for days and days and days without my '98 freezing. :)
    > On 24/7.
    >

    > Win2k sounds really nice though. :)

    You ought to try it, you won't look back.
    A bit like upgrading from dialup to broadband ;-)
    Brian H¹©, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Robert11

    Boomer Guest

    Brian H¹©, <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    > Boomer said:
    >
    >> Brian H¹©, <> wrote:

    >>> Just one of the quirks of 98
    >>> Try upgrading to 2000.

    >> I can go for days and days and days without my '98 freezing. :)
    >> On 24/7.
    >>

    >> Win2k sounds really nice though. :)

    > You ought to try it, you won't look back.
    > A bit like upgrading from dialup to broadband ;-)

    One of these days. :)
    Boomer, Jan 11, 2004
  7. Robert11

    ErmYouKnow Guest

    ....or XP

    ErmYouKnow, Jan 11, 2004
  8. Robert11

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ErmYouKnow said:

    > ...or XP

    That's about the biggest piece of spyware in existence, isn't it?

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Robert11 said:
    >>
    >>> Hello:
    >>>
    >>> Running W98 on a 5 year old Dell Dim XPS R.
    >>>
    >>> Everything 9more or less) works fine, except quite often aftewr several
    >>> hours of use, or just on with no actual use, the PC totally freezes.
    >>>
    >>> ALL keys, and mouse cursor totally frozen.
    >>> Control-Alt-Del also frozen.
    >>>
    >>> Thought at first it might be a heat build up in case, but room is actually
    >>> fairly cool, so not sure if the heat buildup in thecase is a good
    >>> possibility.
    >>> Maybe, but... ?
    >>> Fans in case seem to be unblocked and working fine.
    >>>
    >>> After re-booting, everything is fine for several hours, again.
    >>>
    >>> What might be some of the other possibilities to check out ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Bob

    Brian H¹©, Jan 11, 2004
  9. Robert11

    Ed Pulliam Guest

    On January 10 2004, "Robert11" <> wrote:
    > Running W98 on a 5 year old Dell Dim XPS R.
    >
    > Everything 9more or less) works fine, except quite often aftewr
    > several hours of use, or just on with no actual use, the PC totally
    > freezes.
    >
    > ALL keys, and mouse cursor totally frozen.
    > Control-Alt-Del also frozen.
    >
    > Thought at first it might be a heat build up in case, but room is
    > actually fairly cool, so not sure if the heat buildup in thecase is a
    > good possibility.
    > Maybe, but... ?
    > Fans in case seem to be unblocked and working fine.

    Win 95 and 98 were notorious for not recapturing all of the memory when
    a program was terminated. The resource meter can give you a clue if
    this is the problem.

    But I suspect your first instinct (heat build up) was correct. I had a
    Win 98 box that started doing this. I used it as an excuse to go out
    and by a new dream machine (which of course was obsolete the minute I
    unpacked it). ; - )

    I found myself needing another computer, so I opened the old Win 98 box.
    I couldn't believe the amount of dirt and pet hair I found on the
    mother board and the other cards. The vacuum cleaner with a soft brush
    attachment cleaned up all the innards of the box. Problem solved. Old
    Win 98 box worked just great until it fell off the back end of my truck
    while I was moving it.

    Some things you just can't fix!

    --
    - Ed Pulliam