PC Freezes

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tony, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I have a tough one. I have a customr's Windows 98 SE machine. He had major problems a while back and
    asked me to wipe it clean and re-install windows along with the data he wanted me to recover.

    I did that a month ago and he brought it back to me telling me it freezes when he is on the
    internet. I hooked it up at my shop and it worked great and then 20 minutes later - - BAM! -- - -
    Freezes up. Since then, I ran scandisk (thorough), defrag, adaware, spybot, trend micro online virus
    scan, checked the startup files. Ran good for a while and then - - - BAM! - freeze up. Since he
    uses cable ISP, I removed the modem. Worked good for a while and then - - BAM! - freeze up. It is
    completely random. It just freezes and you cannot get out of it using Ctrl-Alt-Del). You have to
    re-start.

    These are the toughest ones because it cannot be replicated. I am leaning toward the hard drive
    asbeing the culprit. I could re-install Win98 SE on top of the current one.

    There is an audio card and a VGA card in the case.

    Any other ideas?

    Tony

    Tony, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Tony

    Jamco Guest

    why would you think its the hard drive, run some tests on the RAM, see how
    it is, maybe try swapping the power supply, try disconnection the
    cd-roms/disk drive/audio card, and just boot up with the basics and see what
    happens

    Jamco, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Tony

    Gary Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:11:01 GMT, Tony < > wrote:

    >I have a tough one. I have a customr's Windows 98 SE machine. He had major problems a while back and
    >asked me to wipe it clean and re-install windows along with the data he wanted me to recover.
    >
    >I did that a month ago and he brought it back to me telling me it freezes when he is on the
    >internet. I hooked it up at my shop and it worked great and then 20 minutes later - - BAM! -- - -
    >Freezes up. Since then, I ran scandisk (thorough), defrag, adaware, spybot, trend micro online virus
    >scan, checked the startup files. Ran good for a while and then - - - BAM! - freeze up. Since he
    >uses cable ISP, I removed the modem. Worked good for a while and then - - BAM! - freeze up. It is
    >completely random. It just freezes and you cannot get out of it using Ctrl-Alt-Del). You have to
    >re-start.
    >
    >These are the toughest ones because it cannot be replicated. I am leaning toward the hard drive
    >asbeing the culprit. I could re-install Win98 SE on top of the current one.
    >
    >There is an audio card and a VGA card in the case.
    >
    >Any other ideas?
    >
    >Tony

    Isn't win98 notorious for freezing? I always thought that was a
    known problem.

    Gary, Sep 24, 2004
  4. Tony

    Michael Guest

    I don't think that's the issue here.

    Michael, Sep 26, 2004
  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks. I will try changing the power supply and checking the cpu fan.

    Tony

    Tony, Sep 27, 2004