    device manager and there is just one question mark under RAID controller.
    Any ideas???

    Thanks.

    Tara, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Tara

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Tara" <> wrote in message
    news:HMlwc.70778$...
    > Hi.
    >
    > My homebuilt PC has been working great for about 6 months but recently the
    > PC is crashing when I insert some CD-Roms. It doesn't happen all the time
    > but when it does once the CD is recognized the computer freezes and I have
    > to do a hard reboot using the power button in the back.
    >
    > I'm running Windows XP Pro, P4 2.4, 1gig memory. My CD-Rom drive is a TDK
    > but I also have a Sony DVD-RW that also froze my PC. I checked out the
    > device manager and there is just one question mark under RAID controller.
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yeah, you need a driver for your raid controller and perhaps your setup is
    causing the problem. Do you have the drives on the same channel? Are you
    sure that the disk is good? Does the drive read _any_ disk?

    Michael-NC, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Tara

    Tara Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

    > "Tara" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > My homebuilt PC has been working great for about 6 months but recently

    the
    > > PC is crashing when I insert some CD-Roms. It doesn't happen all the

    time
    > > but when it does once the CD is recognized the computer freezes and I

    have
    > > to do a hard reboot using the power button in the back.
    > >
    > > I'm running Windows XP Pro, P4 2.4, 1gig memory. My CD-Rom drive is a

    TDK
    > > but I also have a Sony DVD-RW that also froze my PC. I checked out the
    > > device manager and there is just one question mark under RAID

    controller.
    > > Any ideas???
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > Yeah, you need a driver for your raid controller and perhaps your setup is
    > causing the problem. Do you have the drives on the same channel? Are you
    > sure that the disk is good? Does the drive read _any_ disk?

    Thanks Michael - That totally fixed it. I got the driver for the RAID
    controller off my motherboard disk. For some reason that driver was never
    installed.

    Thanks.

    Tara, Jun 7, 2004