PC freezes when I connect my external SATA drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PW, Jun 12, 2006.

  1. PW

    PW Guest

    Hi

    I have installed a "2 port serial ata & ata-133 ide card"

    I have a "seagate 400gb HDD" inside a "serial ata external hdd enclosure"
    (this 2nd drive I want to use for backup purposes)

    The card has an internal and external SATA port
    When my hard drive in connected to the internal port
    my PC recognises it, reads and writes to it no problem

    When I connect it to the external port of my card, my computer freezes

    I am running Windows XP SP2 on an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHZ
    with 2GB Ram
    Internally I have two IDE DVD writers and a SATA Seagate 400GB HDD

    I have tried a replacement card from my supplier and experience
    exactly the same problem.

    He has offered me a refund, but I am wondering if it is a configuration
    tweak
    that is required

    Thank you so much for your expert suggestions and advice.

    Paul
    New Zealand
    PW, Jun 12, 2006

  2. PW

    Fou Guest

    "PW" <> wrote in message news:e6inss$j39$...
    > Hi
    >
    > I have installed a "2 port serial ata & ata-133 ide card"
    >
    > I have a "seagate 400gb HDD" inside a "serial ata external hdd enclosure"
    > (this 2nd drive I want to use for backup purposes)
    >
    > The card has an internal and external SATA port
    > When my hard drive in connected to the internal port
    > my PC recognises it, reads and writes to it no problem
    >
    > When I connect it to the external port of my card, my computer freezes
    >
    > I am running Windows XP SP2 on an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHZ
    > with 2GB Ram
    > Internally I have two IDE DVD writers and a SATA Seagate 400GB HDD
    >
    > I have tried a replacement card from my supplier and experience
    > exactly the same problem.
    >
    > He has offered me a refund, but I am wondering if it is a configuration
    > tweak
    > that is required
    >
    > Thank you so much for your expert suggestions and advice.
    >
    > Paul
    > New Zealand

    Hold on awhile, I'll look it up Google and post the url if anything is
    found. [Don't beat me there :=} ]

    Fou, Jun 12, 2006

  3. PW

    JANA Guest

    If your mother board is an older type, this may be a hardware compatibility
    issue with the controller card that you are adding in. Is it possible for
    the dealer to send you a different manufacture of a controller card to try?

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jun 12, 2006
  4. PW wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have installed a "2 port serial ata & ata-133 ide card"
    >
    > I have a "seagate 400gb HDD" inside a "serial ata external hdd enclosure"
    > (this 2nd drive I want to use for backup purposes)
    >
    > The card has an internal and external SATA port
    > When my hard drive in connected to the internal port
    > my PC recognises it, reads and writes to it no problem

    I guess you do switch off the pc when opening and attaching the drive
    internally?

    > When I connect it to the external port of my card, my computer freezes

    Most probably your controller is not hot pluggable.
    You did try to shutdown/turnoff the pc, attach the device, and restart it?
    Do you get a bluescreen then?
    What's up in event viewer?
    Walter Mautner, Jun 12, 2006
  5. PW

    Dan Evans Guest

    "PW" <> wrote in message news:e6inss$j39$...
    > Hi
    >
    > I have installed a "2 port serial ata & ata-133 ide card"
    >
    > I have a "seagate 400gb HDD" inside a "serial ata external hdd enclosure"
    > (this 2nd drive I want to use for backup purposes)
    >
    > The card has an internal and external SATA port
    > When my hard drive in connected to the internal port
    > my PC recognises it, reads and writes to it no problem
    >
    > When I connect it to the external port of my card, my computer freezes

    Have you tried a different slot? One of my machines has a slot that if I
    plug in the TV capture card or Conceptronic Wireless card (D-Link card is
    fine) either won't boot (wireless) or crashes when I plug in a feed (TV)

    Everything else is fine.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 12, 2006