    I tried swapping out the memory with memory I know to be good. That
    didn't help either.

    What should I try next?
    walterbyrd, Aug 14, 2007

  2. walterbyrd

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:48:14 -0700, walterbyrd <> wrote:

    >Seven year old 900mhz AMD system. 512mb RAM. PS replaced not too long
    >ago. Sometimes it will go 10 hours without freezing, other times it
    >won't go 10 minutes. Ambient temperature seems to have nothing to do
    >with it.
    >
    >I tried running it from a knoppix cdrom, but it still froze up. So, I
    >think it must be hardware related. Can not be a virus or anything.
    >
    >I tried swapping out the memory with memory I know to be good. That
    >didn't help either.
    >
    >What should I try next?

    I just fixed one like this for one of my customers (a dental supply distributor). I went into the
    Bios and noticed that the cpu was running ar around 140 degrees. I opened the case and pushed down
    on the fan and it went down to 80 degrees. So, I shut it down and removed the fan and heat sync and
    one of the plastic posts that the cpu heat sync rests in was broken. I removed the plastic piece
    from another dead motherboard I had and reolaced it on their motherboard and, voila. It is two weeks
    now and all is well. It was freezing a few times a day before they called me. It could be a lot of
    thing but when it was freezing on me when I was in Safe Mode when I was trying to defrag it or run
    Spybot, I got suspicious. I thought it was the hard drive until I tried the hear issue first.

    Good Luck.

    Tony
    Tony, Aug 15, 2007

  3. walterbyrd

    walterbyrd Guest

    Thanks for help.

    - I have a utility to check the CPU temp - it stays around 32C.
    - I swapped the memory with know good, it froze anyway
    - I ran with knoppix cdrom, it also froze
    - I replaced the video card, it ran for 20 hours, then froze

    Could the hdd cause it to freeze, even if it's running from a cdrom?
    Could it be the nic? The PS?
    walterbyrd, Aug 15, 2007
  4. walterbyrd

    Bill Eitner Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:
    > Seven year old 900mhz AMD system. 512mb RAM. PS replaced not too long
    > ago. Sometimes it will go 10 hours without freezing, other times it
    > won't go 10 minutes. Ambient temperature seems to have nothing to do
    > with it.
    >
    > I tried running it from a knoppix cdrom, but it still froze up. So, I
    > think it must be hardware related. Can not be a virus or anything.
    >
    > I tried swapping out the memory with memory I know to be good. That
    > didn't help either.
    >
    > What should I try next?

    I'm using a 900 MHz AMD 1 GB RAM to write this.
    A friend of mine gave it to me 4 or 5
    years ago. It had the frequent random freezing
    symptom. The problem was bad motherboard
    electrolytic capacitors. http://www.badcaps.net/
    Since then I've used it heavily (video recoding,
    gaming, learning about overclocking, and whatever
    else came along). It's been a trusty work horse,
    but it's starting to tire out. It can't handle
    being overclocked like it used to. It's not as
    stable as it used to be. It used to be months in
    between freeze ups, and now it's days. My guess
    is that at this point the more common problems
    (tired processor, tired memory, tired power supply)
    are starting to catch up with it. It's too old to
    spend any money on, therefore I'm leaving it alone.

    Good luck with yours.
    Bill Eitner, Aug 15, 2007
  5. walterbyrd

    walterbyrd Guest

    On Aug 15, 6:19 pm, Barry Watzman <> wrote:
    > ANYTHING can cause a freeze or lockup. The most common causes are
    > memory and power supply. RUN A MEMORY TEST, using a self booting

    I ran a memory test, the memory seems to be fine.

    One odd thing - if I trun the volumn all the way up, I hear a slight
    hmmMMMmm sound when I move the usb mouse. I checked the device
    manager, and there are no resource conflicts showing.
    walterbyrd, Aug 16, 2007
  6. walterbyrd

    Patty Guest

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:32:42 -0700, walterbyrd wrote:

    > On Aug 15, 6:19 pm, Barry Watzman <> wrote:
    >> ANYTHING can cause a freeze or lockup. The most common causes are
    >> memory and power supply. RUN A MEMORY TEST, using a self booting

    > I ran a memory test, the memory seems to be fine.
    >
    > One odd thing - if I trun the volumn all the way up, I hear a slight
    > hmmMMMmm sound when I move the usb mouse. I checked the device
    > manager, and there are no resource conflicts showing.

    Is it an optical mouse and do you have a subwoofer on the floor? Optical
    mice will cause some interference with subwoofers, which is why mine is not
    on the floor, it is above the mouse now which is where the mouse causes no
    interference.

    Just a thought.

    Patty
    Patty, Aug 16, 2007
  7. walterbyrd

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:28:35 -0700, walterbyrd <> wrote:

    >Thanks for help.
    >
    >- I have a utility to check the CPU temp - it stays around 32C.
    >- I swapped the memory with know good, it froze anyway
    >- I ran with knoppix cdrom, it also froze
    >- I replaced the video card, it ran for 20 hours, then froze
    >
    >Could the hdd cause it to freeze, even if it's running from a cdrom?
    >Could it be the nic? The PS?

    If you want to rule the hard drive out, ghost it and put the new drive in. If it solves the problem,
    then you are done. If not, then you know it isnt the drive, memory or cpu fan. At that point, it
    could be the motherboard or even the cpu.

    Tony
    Tony, Aug 16, 2007
  8. walterbyrd

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Bill Eitner, Aug 16, 2007
  9. walterbyrd

    walterbyrd Guest

    On Aug 15, 10:25 pm, Patty <> wrote:
    > Is it an optical mouse and do you have a subwoofer on the floor?

    It is an optical mouse, and it's not far from the speakers. Although
    not above the speakers.
    walterbyrd, Aug 16, 2007
  10. walterbyrd

    Patty Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:24:59 -0700, walterbyrd wrote:

    > On Aug 15, 10:25 pm, Patty <> wrote:
    >> Is it an optical mouse and do you have a subwoofer on the floor?

    > It is an optical mouse, and it's not far from the speakers. Although
    > not above the speakers.

    Well, I do know that an optical mouse can affect some speakers, mostly sub
    woofers. I had a computer that I had installed a speaker gizmo that went
    into a 5 1/4 in bay on the case. Granted I didn't need any special speaker
    effects on this system, just basic sound. Whenever I moved my optical
    mouse, it made a sound in those speakers. I also know that when I got my
    Logitech set with a subwoofer and two speakers, it also made a sound when I
    had the subwoofer on the floor. I moved the subwoofer to a shelf farther
    away from the mouse and it sits about 2 feet higher and it's fine now.

    Just a thought, maybe try moving your speakers farther away and see if it
    makes a difference.

    Patty
    Patty, Aug 16, 2007
  11. walterbyrd

    Patty Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:48:14 -0700, walterbyrd wrote:

    > Seven year old 900mhz AMD system. 512mb RAM. PS replaced not too long
    > ago. Sometimes it will go 10 hours without freezing, other times it
    > won't go 10 minutes. Ambient temperature seems to have nothing to do
    > with it.
    >
    > I tried running it from a knoppix cdrom, but it still froze up. So, I
    > think it must be hardware related. Can not be a virus or anything.
    >
    > I tried swapping out the memory with memory I know to be good. That
    > didn't help either.
    >
    > What should I try next?

    I once had a system that had freezes. I spoke with the dealer I purchased
    the motherboard from and he kept telling me it was a problem with my
    Windows98 installation (it was awhile ago). While at first the freezes
    appeared to be random, I began linking them to specific activity with the
    computer. Scanning with a USB scanner was one major problem. I added more
    memory at one point and the freezes stopped completely. So, it was either
    not enough RAM or maybe some bad RAM that was helped by adding more. I
    never did do any RAM testing on that system, but I did go on to use the
    same RAM in other systems with no ill effect.

    Patty
    Patty, Aug 16, 2007