PC freezes during file copy (Windows 2000)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by -, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. -

    - Guest

    My PC freezes and requires a hard reset every time I copy
    a large file (500mb or greater), or a group of large files.

    I have tried different ATA settings (33 thru 100), changed
    ide cables, changed hard drives, updated mb bios, updated
    Windows 2000 and all drivers but nothing seems to work.

    PC config:

    MB-Asus A7V266-E
    HD-Westernal Digital 120gb Special Edition (NTSF)
    OS-Windows 2000 with all updates
    Mem-Crucial PC2100 DDR (512mb x 3)
    PS: 430 watt
    Video: VisionTek Ti-4600
    IE set to Windows Classic View (disables avi/mpg preview mode)
    Power scheme: always on
    Screen saver: none

    Any suggestions? Whereas, this is driving me crazy !!!!!!

    Thanks

    Big Fred

    -, Mar 4, 2004

  2. -

    SgtMinor Guest

    PCs can freeze due to software problems or hardware malfunctions. Since
    you're running an AMD platform, I guessing hardware, and specifically
    heat coming off the CPU. Is your system properly vented? Are all case
    openings free from dust or other blockages? Is the CPU fan properly
    mated, and working? Have you tried running the machine with the cover
    off the box?

    SgtMinor, Mar 5, 2004

  3. -

    - Guest

    I forgot to mention that the computer freezes when
    a file is copied from hd to hd; whereas, copying a
    file from one partition to another on the same hd
    works okay.

    Also, I don't think heat is the problem because I
    have the case cover off and an external fan blowing
    on the motherboard and cpu.

    Big Fred

    SgtMinor <> wrote in

    -, Mar 5, 2004