PC Freezes During Boot-up of Win XP SP-2 - "Hum" from HDD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Just this morning when I boot up my home PC I experienced a frezze-up during
    Windows XP's loading, about half to 3/4s of the way through the splash
    screen before the mouse cursor ever shows. This happened twice. Both times
    I hit the reset button on the system to send it back to the BIOS. Finally
    after the last one I held the power button and waited a minute before
    re-starting and it loaded fine. Is this a sign the HDD is going bad?

    Before getting my 80GB HDD that failed I'd noticed a strange "hum" coming
    from it at start-up that would last about 2-3 minutes and then become silent
    again. When I replaced the current 40GB HDD with the 80GB HDD, the hum was
    gone ... letting me know it was not a fan or the power supply. So I guessed
    that the HDD is slowly failing. Am I on the right track with this thought?
    And about how long might I have before total HDD failure if this is the
    case? My replacement HDD is on order from Newegg but won't be here for
    probably another week.

    --
    Kyle :eek:)

    Reply address is fake. Don't ask for the real one, a troll named Lookout
    sent enough spam and viruses that I shut it down. Please send all insults
    to as he is the true @sshole of Usenet. Thank you!
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jan 26, 2006

  2. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Tony Guest

    "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message
    > Just this morning when I boot up my home PC I experienced a frezze-up
    > during Windows XP's loading, about half to 3/4s of the way through the
    > splash screen before the mouse cursor ever shows. This happened twice.
    > Both times I hit the reset button on the system to send it back to the
    > BIOS. Finally after the last one I held the power button and waited a
    > minute before re-starting and it loaded fine. Is this a sign the HDD is
    > going bad?
    >
    > Before getting my 80GB HDD that failed I'd noticed a strange "hum" coming
    > from it at start-up that would last about 2-3 minutes and then become
    > silent again. When I replaced the current 40GB HDD with the 80GB HDD, the
    > hum was gone ... letting me know it was not a fan or the power supply. So
    > I guessed that the HDD is slowly failing. Am I on the right track with
    > this thought? And about how long might I have before total HDD failure if
    > this is the case? My replacement HDD is on order from Newegg but won't be
    > here for probably another week.
    >
    > --
    > Kyle :eek:)
    >
    > Reply address is fake. Don't ask for the real one, a troll named Lookout
    > sent enough spam and viruses that I shut it down. Please send all insults
    > to as he is the true @sshole of Usenet. Thank you!

    Suggest you download and run HDD Health free from
    http://www.panterasoft.com/ - I use it myself and it correctly predicted
    failure of one of my drives giving me time to move everything before it
    died.
    Tony, Jan 26, 2006

  3. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Paul Guest

    Tony,

    HDD Health sounds like a useful utility but link you gave is for a 'Flash
    drive recovery utility', found another link here:
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22945,00.asp

    Paul, Jan 26, 2006
  4. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Tony Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Tony,
    >
    > HDD Health sounds like a useful utility but link you gave is for a 'Flash
    > drive recovery utility', found another link here:
    > http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22945,00.asp

    Scroll down the page and it is on the same page at the bottom - probably
    want you to look at the paid for bit first before the freebies :)

    The one I have is build 159 so probably a newer version available from the
    website (http://www.panterasoft.com/ as I've snipped the original post).
    Tony, Jan 26, 2006
  5. In news:dr94id$ubf$, Tony <> first
    attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next used
    sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    this:
    > Suggest you download and run HDD Health free from
    > http://www.panterasoft.com/ - I use it myself and it correctly
    > predicted failure of one of my drives giving me time to move
    > everything before it died.

    I ran a test on both drives I currently have installed. Neither seems to
    have any known problems. But the overall health is n/a and the prediction's
    precision is at 25% for both of my drives ... whatever this means.

    I exported the results and they are posted below:

    Drive model Maxtor 6E040L0
    Drive capacity 40.1 GB
    Drive serial number E1P2225E
    Firmware revision NAR61EA0
    Number of cylinders 16383
    Number of heads 16
    Number of sectors per track 63
    Number of LBA sectors 80293248
    DMA support Enabled
    LBA support Enabled
    IORDY support Enabled
    ATA software reset Not required
    Overlap operation Supported
    Command queuing Not supported
    Interleaved DMA Not supported
    Multiword DMA mode supported Mode 2 and below
    PIO transfer mode supported Mode 4
    Minimum Multiword DMA transfer cycle time per word 120 ns
    Manufacturer's recommended Multiword DMA transfer cycle time 120 ns
    Minimum PIO transfer cycle time without flow control 120 ns
    Minimum PIO transfer cycle time with IORDY flow control 120 ns
    ATA standard version ATA/ATAPI-7 and below
    ATA realisation version ATA/ATAPI-7 T13 1532D revision 0
    SMART feature set Supported, Disabled
    Security Mode feature set Supported, Disabled
    Removable Media feature set Not supported
    Power Management feature set Supported
    PACKET Command feature set Not supported
    Write cache Supported, Enabled
    Look-ahead Supported, Enabled
    Release interrupt Not supported
    SERVICE interrupt Not supported
    DEVICE RESET command Not supported
    Host Protected Area feature set Supported
    WRITE BUFFER command Supported
    READ BUFFER command Supported
    NOP command Supported
    DOWNLOAD MICROCODE command Supported
    READ DMA QUEUED and WRITE DMA QUEUED commands Not supported
    CFA feature set Not supported
    Advanced Power Management feature set Supported, Disabled
    Removable Media Status feature set Not supported
    Power-Up In Standby feature set Not supported
    SET MAX security extension Supported, Disabled
    Automatic Acoustic Management feature set Supported, Enabled
    48-bit Address feature set Not supported
    Device Configuration Overlay feature set Supported
    FLUSH CACHE command Supported
    FLUSH CACHE EXT command Supported
    SMART error logging Supported
    SMART self-test Supported
    Media serial number field words Not supported
    Media Card Pass Through Command feature set Not supported
    Streaming feature set Not supported
    General Purpose Logging feature set Not supported
    WRITE DMA FUA EXT and WRITE MULTIPLE FUA EXT commands Not supported
    WRITE DMA QUEUED FUA EXT command Not supported
    World wide name Not supported
    URG bit for READ STREAM DMA and READ STREAM PIO commands Not supported
    URG bit for WRITE STREAM DMA and WRITE STREAM PIO commands Not supported
    Time-limited Read/write feature set Not supported
    Read Continuoud and Write Continuous in the Time-limited Read/write feature
    set Not supported
    Ultra DMA mode selected Mode 6
    Ultra DMA mode supported Mode 6 and below
    The time required for the SECURITY ERASE UNIT command to complete Value
    not specified
    Time required for Enhanced security erase unit completion Value not
    specified
    Advanced power management level value 0
    Master Password Revision Code Not supported
    Device vendor's recommended acoustic management level 254
    The current automatic acoustic management level 192
    Removable Media Status Notification feature set Not supported
    Enhanced security erase unit feature Not supported
    The security count is expired and SECURITY UNLOCK and SECURITY ERASE UNIT
    are command aborted until a power-on reset or hardware reset.
    CFA Power Mode Mode 1
    Maximum average RMS current 592 Milliamperes

    Start/Stop Count (Power on count) 742 times
    Reallocated Sectors Count 0 sectors
    Power-On Hours 52081 minuties (hours)
    Device Power Cycle Count 767 times
    Temperature 31 °C
    Reallocation Event Count 0 events
    Current Pending Sector Count (Unstable sectors) 0 sectors
    Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 sectors
    UltraDMA CRC Error Count (total) 0 errors
    Write Error Rate (Multi Zone Error Rate) 0
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jan 26, 2006
  6. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

> [...]

    > Device vendor's recommended acoustic management level 254
    > The current automatic acoustic management level 192
    > Removable Media Status Notification feature set Not supported
    > Enhanced security erase unit feature Not supported
    > The security count is expired and SECURITY UNLOCK and SECURITY ERASE UNIT
    > are command aborted until a power-on reset or hardware reset.
    > CFA Power Mode Mode 1
    > Maximum average RMS current 592 Milliamperes
    >
    > Start/Stop Count (Power on count) 742 times
    > Reallocated Sectors Count 0 sectors
    > Power-On Hours 52081 minuties (hours)
    > Device Power Cycle Count 767 times
    > Temperature 31 °C
    > Reallocation Event Count 0 events
    > Current Pending Sector Count (Unstable sectors) 0 sectors
    > Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 sectors
    > UltraDMA CRC Error Count (total) 0 errors
    > Write Error Rate (Multi Zone Error Rate) 0

    You need to enable SMART monitoring. It should be an option in the BIOS.
    HDD Health will keep testing the hard drive in the background. It measures
    error against the tolerances supplied by the manufacturers and anything that
    is beginning to go wrong will show up as a red item when you click on the
    SMART tab. The prediction % will increase the longer it runs and it builds
    up better averages.

    The health for mine are Prediction Precision 98% and TEC is in 2025
    Tony, Jan 26, 2006
  7. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio wrote:
    > Just this morning when I boot up my home PC I experienced a frezze-up
    > during Windows XP's loading, about half to 3/4s of the way through
    > the splash screen before the mouse cursor ever shows. This happened
    > twice. Both times I hit the reset button on the system to send it
    > back to the BIOS. Finally after the last one I held the power button
    > and waited a minute before re-starting and it loaded fine. Is this a
    > sign the HDD is going bad?
    >
    > Before getting my 80GB HDD that failed I'd noticed a strange "hum"
    > coming from it at start-up that would last about 2-3 minutes and then
    > become silent again. When I replaced the current 40GB HDD with the
    > 80GB HDD, the hum was gone ... letting me know it was not a fan or
    > the power supply. So I guessed that the HDD is slowly failing. Am I
    > on the right track with this thought? And about how long might I have
    > before total HDD failure if this is the case? My replacement HDD is
    > on order from Newegg but won't be here for probably another week.

    Sometimes a component of your PC can get stuck in the wrong state.
    I've seen video, wired and wireless network cards do this. The thing
    about the modern PC is that it doesn't have a BRS "Big Red Switch".
    The ATX type power supplies are still putting out power to the PC
    when you think it's off. To do a proper reset, you may have to flip
    a small switch on the power supply or simply unplug the power cord.
    Try it the next time you have a problem. Read this link:

    http://www.epanorama.net/links/psu_computer.html

    The Daring Dufas (hardware troll)
    The Daring Dufas, Jan 26, 2006
  8. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio