PC freezes,can't find problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by me, May 3, 2005.

  1. me

    me Guest

    This past week or two my PC has been freezing when using certain
    programs,usually when encoding DVD's/video files.. I don't know
    what has changed to make it start doing this. The programs it happens to are
    :
    DVD Shrink 3.2 when backing up a DVD (It dosent affect DVD Decrypter
    though,in read or write mode!)
    TMPGenc plus 2.5 when encoding video
    TMPGenc DVD Author 1.6 when outputting project to a Video TS /Audio TS
    Folder

    Although today,it froze when only Outlook Express was open.I went to the
    other room for a while,and came back the PC had froze.The only way out of it
    is to reset the PC

    I have 2 x 256 meg RAM modules,so i tried each of them individually to see
    if it made a difference,maybe to find bad ram,but it still happened.
    I tried turning off NAV / NIS too,but still got same problem.Also,when the
    PC restarts,sometimes i get the blue screen of death just before it gets to
    the welcome screen,and it restarts again.

    The CPU seems able to handle a lot of tasks,i opened 4 different video
    players all at once playing different video files,and they all worked
    perfectly at the same time.
    Having said that,when i use any of the above mentioned programs,i only have
    that one program open with nothing else running.

    Any ideas what else i can check? I have a new hard drive,new Gigabyte mobo
    in a new case with other bits i transferred from my old PC.
    I have some DVD's to make and i cant do them til i get this sorted out.
    thanks
    me, May 3, 2005

  2. me

    me Guest

    By the way,I'm running XP Pro with SP2

    me, May 3, 2005

  3. me

    Kawosa Guest

    "me" <> wrote in news:yGAde.3537$D91.2093@fed1read01:

    > This past week or two my PC has been freezing when using certain
    > programs,usually when encoding DVD's/video files.. I don't know
    > what has changed to make it start doing this. The programs it happens
    > to are
    >:
    > DVD Shrink 3.2 when backing up a DVD (It dosent affect DVD Decrypter
    > though,in read or write mode!)
    > TMPGenc plus 2.5 when encoding video
    > TMPGenc DVD Author 1.6 when outputting project to a Video TS /Audio TS
    > Folder
    >
    > Although today,it froze when only Outlook Express was open.I went to
    > the other room for a while,and came back the PC had froze.The only way
    > out of it is to reset the PC
    >
    > I have 2 x 256 meg RAM modules,so i tried each of them individually to
    > see if it made a difference,maybe to find bad ram,but it still
    > happened. I tried turning off NAV / NIS too,but still got same
    > problem.Also,when the PC restarts,sometimes i get the blue screen of
    > death just before it gets to the welcome screen,and it restarts again.
    >
    > The CPU seems able to handle a lot of tasks,i opened 4 different video
    > players all at once playing different video files,and they all worked
    > perfectly at the same time.
    > Having said that,when i use any of the above mentioned programs,i only
    > have that one program open with nothing else running.
    >
    > Any ideas what else i can check? I have a new hard drive,new Gigabyte
    > mobo in a new case with other bits i transferred from my old PC.
    > I have some DVD's to make and i cant do them til i get this sorted
    > out. thanks

    Normally freezes like this are a video driver problem or RAM failure.
    However, since you have recently replaced the m/b, recheck the CPU fan
    and cooling. Run memtest on the ram. If you cheated with XP and
    transferred it instead of a fresh install, enjoy your spoils.
    Kawosa, May 3, 2005
  4. me

    me Guest

    "Kawosa" <> wrote in message
    > "me" <> wrote in news:yGAde.3537$D91.2093@fed1read01:
    >
    >> This past week or two my PC has been freezing when using certain
    >> programs,usually when encoding DVD's/video files.. I don't know
    >> what has changed to make it start doing this. The programs it happens
    >> to are
    >>:
    >> DVD Shrink 3.2 when backing up a DVD (It dosent affect DVD Decrypter
    >> though,in read or write mode!)
    >> TMPGenc plus 2.5 when encoding video
    >> TMPGenc DVD Author 1.6 when outputting project to a Video TS /Audio TS
    >> Folder
    >>
    >> Although today,it froze when only Outlook Express was open.I went to
    >> the other room for a while,and came back the PC had froze.The only way
    >> out of it is to reset the PC
    >>
    >> I have 2 x 256 meg RAM modules,so i tried each of them individually to
    >> see if it made a difference,maybe to find bad ram,but it still
    >> happened. I tried turning off NAV / NIS too,but still got same
    >> problem.Also,when the PC restarts,sometimes i get the blue screen of
    >> death just before it gets to the welcome screen,and it restarts again.
    >>
    >> The CPU seems able to handle a lot of tasks,i opened 4 different video
    >> players all at once playing different video files,and they all worked
    >> perfectly at the same time.
    >> Having said that,when i use any of the above mentioned programs,i only
    >> have that one program open with nothing else running.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what else i can check? I have a new hard drive,new Gigabyte
    >> mobo in a new case with other bits i transferred from my old PC.
    >> I have some DVD's to make and i cant do them til i get this sorted
    >> out. thanks
    >>

    > Normally freezes like this are a video driver problem or RAM failure.
    > However, since you have recently replaced the m/b, recheck the CPU fan
    > and cooling. Run memtest on the ram. If you cheated with XP and
    > transferred it instead of a fresh install, enjoy your spoils.

    I did a fresh XP install on a new hard drive.I've checked that the CPU/case
    fans
    work,and they do..The CPU temp is at 56c
    Did a memory test and it didnt find any errors
    Not sure how to test video driver,the ATI site dosent support the AIW 9000
    anymore,so not sure if there is a newer driver for that.
    me, May 3, 2005
  5. me

    PMD Guest

    me wrote:

    > "Kawosa" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"me" <> wrote in news:yGAde.3537$D91.2093@fed1read01:
    >>

    >>>This past week or two my PC has been freezing when using certain
    >>>programs,usually when encoding DVD's/video files.. I don't know
    >>>what has changed to make it start doing this. The programs it happens
    >>>to are
    >>>:
    >>>DVD Shrink 3.2 when backing up a DVD (It dosent affect DVD Decrypter
    >>>though,in read or write mode!)
    >>>TMPGenc plus 2.5 when encoding video
    >>>TMPGenc DVD Author 1.6 when outputting project to a Video TS /Audio TS
    >>>Folder
    >>>
    >>>Although today,it froze when only Outlook Express was open.I went to
    >>>the other room for a while,and came back the PC had froze.The only way
    >>>out of it is to reset the PC
    >>>
    >>>I have 2 x 256 meg RAM modules,so i tried each of them individually to
    >>>see if it made a difference,maybe to find bad ram,but it still
    >>>happened. I tried turning off NAV / NIS too,but still got same
    >>>problem.Also,when the PC restarts,sometimes i get the blue screen of
    >>>death just before it gets to the welcome screen,and it restarts again.
    >>>
    >>>The CPU seems able to handle a lot of tasks,i opened 4 different video
    >>>players all at once playing different video files,and they all worked
    >>>perfectly at the same time.
    >>>Having said that,when i use any of the above mentioned programs,i only
    >>>have that one program open with nothing else running.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas what else i can check? I have a new hard drive,new Gigabyte
    >>>mobo in a new case with other bits i transferred from my old PC.
    >>>I have some DVD's to make and i cant do them til i get this sorted
    >>>out. thanks
    >>>

    >>Normally freezes like this are a video driver problem or RAM failure.
    >>However, since you have recently replaced the m/b, recheck the CPU fan
    >>and cooling. Run memtest on the ram. If you cheated with XP and
    >>transferred it instead of a fresh install, enjoy your spoils.
    >>

    > I did a fresh XP install on a new hard drive.I've checked that the CPU/case
    > fans
    > work,and they do..The CPU temp is at 56c
    > Did a memory test and it didnt find any errors
    > Not sure how to test video driver,the ATI site dosent support the AIW 9000
    > anymore,so not sure if there is a newer driver for that.

    Checked for malware?

    --

    ~PMD~

    Squadron Leader

    "Most Scots are idiots, especially those who live in Glasgow."
    Peter Hucker - Scotsman.
    PMD, May 3, 2005
  6. me

    me Guest

    "PMD" <> wrote in message
    > me wrote:
    >
    >> "Kawosa" <> wrote in message

    >>>Normally freezes like this are a video driver problem or RAM failure.
    >>>However, since you have recently replaced the m/b, recheck the CPU fan
    >>>and cooling. Run memtest on the ram. If you cheated with XP and
    >>>transferred it instead of a fresh install, enjoy your spoils.
    >>>

    >> I did a fresh XP install on a new hard drive.I've checked that the
    >> CPU/case fans
    >> work,and they do..The CPU temp is at 56c
    >> Did a memory test and it didnt find any errors
    >> Not sure how to test video driver,the ATI site dosent support the AIW
    >> 9000 anymore,so not sure if there is a newer driver for that.
    >>

    > Checked for malware?
    >
    > --

    Well,thats where i have another problem.When i try to run Spybot S&D,it gets
    partway through the scan and the PC freezes,so that is another program that
    it freezes on !! Also,during a full system scan with NAV,it freezes too !
    me, May 3, 2005
  7. me wrote:
    > "PMD" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>me wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Kawosa" <> wrote in message

    >>>I did a fresh XP install on a new hard drive.I've checked that the
    >>>CPU/case fans
    >>>work,and they do..The CPU temp is at 56c
    >>>Did a memory test and it didnt find any errors
    >>>Not sure how to test video driver,the ATI site dosent support the AIW
    >>>9000 anymore,so not sure if there is a newer driver for that.
    >>>

    >>Checked for malware?
    >>

    > Well,thats where i have another problem.When i try to run Spybot S&D,it gets
    > partway through the scan and the PC freezes,so that is another program that
    > it freezes on !! Also,during a full system scan with NAV,it freezes too !

    Do you have the same problem in safe-mode?
    -max

    What's in a Name?, May 3, 2005
  8. me

    me Guest

    "What's in a Name?" <> wrote in message
    > me wrote:
    >> "PMD" <> wrote in message

    >>>Checked for malware?
    >>>

    >> Well,thats where i have another problem.When i try to run Spybot S&D,it
    >> gets partway through the scan and the PC freezes,so that is another
    >> program that it freezes on !! Also,during a full system scan with NAV,it
    >> freezes too !
    >>

    > Do you have the same problem in safe-mode?
    > -max

    Yes i do,and i even uninstalled Norton,and it made no difference.I installed
    AVG free and tried to do a scan,but 2 minutes into the scan,it locks up.

    Could i have bad memory modules even if the memory test comes back as
    showing nothing wrong?
    Or how would i test the CPU to see if there is something wrong with it?
    It seems to only be a problem when the CPU is under load,when it gets too
    100%
    If it is the CPU,why is it freezing at 100% when it didnt do it before?

    I guess one solution would be to try a new CPU,but if i get the same
    problem,i'm stuck with a CPU i dont need !
    It's really frustrating,i cant think what else to look for.

    thanks for any help and replies
    me, May 4, 2005
  9. me

    ToMh Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message news:npTde.3644$D91.2142@fed1read01...

    > "What's in a Name?" <> wrote in message
    >> me wrote:
    >>> "PMD" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well,thats where i have another problem.When i try to run Spybot S&D,it
    >>> gets partway through the scan and the PC freezes,so that is another
    >>> program that it freezes on !! Also,during a full system scan with NAV,it
    >>> freezes too !
    >>>

    >> Do you have the same problem in safe-mode?
    >> -max
    >>

    > Yes i do,and i even uninstalled Norton,and it made no difference.I
    > installed AVG free and tried to do a scan,but 2 minutes into the scan,it
    > locks up.
    >
    > Could i have bad memory modules even if the memory test comes back as
    > showing nothing wrong?
    > Or how would i test the CPU to see if there is something wrong with it?
    > It seems to only be a problem when the CPU is under load,when it gets too
    > 100%
    > If it is the CPU,why is it freezing at 100% when it didnt do it before?
    >
    > I guess one solution would be to try a new CPU,but if i get the same
    > problem,i'm stuck with a CPU i dont need !
    > It's really frustrating,i cant think what else to look for.
    >
    > thanks for any help and replies

    If you can, try different RAM from a different Mfg. Make sure your
    MB supports the RAM. I suspect you have a RAM problem. Ram tests
    don't find all problems with RAM and some RAM is just is flakey in some
    motherboards. Also, what Processor are you using? Are all the clock
    strappings
    correct?

    -Tom
    ToMh, May 4, 2005
  10. me wrote:
    > "What's in a Name?" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>me wrote:
    >>
    >>>"PMD" <> wrote in message

    >>>Well,thats where i have another problem.When i try to run Spybot S&D,it
    >>>gets partway through the scan and the PC freezes,so that is another
    >>>program that it freezes on !! Also,during a full system scan with NAV,it
    >>>freezes too !
    >>>

    >>Do you have the same problem in safe-mode?
    >>-max
    >>

    > Yes i do,and i even uninstalled Norton,and it made no difference.I installed
    > AVG free and tried to do a scan,but 2 minutes into the scan,it locks up.
    >
    > Could i have bad memory modules even if the memory test comes back as
    > showing nothing wrong?
    > Or how would i test the CPU to see if there is something wrong with it?
    > It seems to only be a problem when the CPU is under load,when it gets too
    > 100%
    > If it is the CPU,why is it freezing at 100% when it didnt do it before?
    >
    > I guess one solution would be to try a new CPU,but if i get the same
    > problem,i'm stuck with a CPU i dont need !
    > It's really frustrating,i cant think what else to look for.
    >
    > thanks for any help and replies

    You can check driverguide.com for video drivers,they have many hard-to-
    find ones there. What program did you use to check out the ram?
    In task mgr.,what processes are taking up the cpu?
    Try turning off some of the programs that load at startup using msconfig.
    -max
    What's in a Name?, May 4, 2005
  11. me

    PMD Guest

    me wrote:

    > "What's in a Name?" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>me wrote:
    >>
    >>>"PMD" <> wrote in message

    >>>Well,thats where i have another problem.When i try to run Spybot S&D,it
    >>>gets partway through the scan and the PC freezes,so that is another
    >>>program that it freezes on !! Also,during a full system scan with NAV,it
    >>>freezes too !
    >>>

    >>Do you have the same problem in safe-mode?
    >>-max
    >>

    > Yes i do,and i even uninstalled Norton,and it made no difference.I installed
    > AVG free and tried to do a scan,but 2 minutes into the scan,it locks up.
    >
    > Could i have bad memory modules even if the memory test comes back as
    > showing nothing wrong?
    > Or how would i test the CPU to see if there is something wrong with it?
    > It seems to only be a problem when the CPU is under load,when it gets too
    > 100%
    > If it is the CPU,why is it freezing at 100% when it didnt do it before?
    >
    > I guess one solution would be to try a new CPU,but if i get the same
    > problem,i'm stuck with a CPU i dont need !
    > It's really frustrating,i cant think what else to look for.
    >
    > thanks for any help and replies

    Read this and follow all the recommendations.

    http://www.io.com/~cwagner/spyware.html

    PMD, May 4, 2005
  12. me

    me Guest

    Problem solved (for the time being at least) It turned out that it was the
    CPU,so i replaced it and everything works fine now,but i hope i am not
    tempting fate by saying this !!

    thanks to all for the replies
    me, May 7, 2005