    nothing. I am thinking I need a new power supply - Correct? and is there
    anything else I can try?

    Thanks

    Will, Feb 12, 2006

  2. Will

    philo Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been having problems with a USB/Firewire Card so I turned off my PC
    > removed it, and restarted. I then shut down and reconnected the Card with
    > the intention to reinstall it. When I try to turn on the PC now it
    > doesn't do anything - No lights, no fans and no noise. I have tried
    > unconnecting everything apart from the motherboard & hard drive
    > connections and still nothing. I am thinking I need a new power supply -
    > Correct? and is there anything else I can try?
    >
    > Thanks

    reset the bios

    there is usually a jumper for that...

    philo, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Will

    Les Hemmings Guest

    Will wrote:
    > I've been having problems with a USB/Firewire Card so I turned off my
    > PC removed it, and restarted. I then shut down and reconnected the
    > Card with the intention to reinstall it. When I try to turn on the
    > PC now it doesn't do anything - No lights, no fans and no noise. I
    > have tried unconnecting everything apart from the motherboard & hard
    > drive connections and still nothing. I am thinking I need a new
    > power supply - Correct? and is there anything else I can try?
    >
    > Thanks

    Fuse in the wall socket plug? Internal fuse?

    --
    Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

    http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing?
    Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God?
    His name shall be The Flying Spaghetti Monster!
    http://www.venganza.org/index.htm
    Epicurus

    Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

    Les Hemmings, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Will

    Vanguard Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    > I've been having problems with a USB/Firewire Card so I turned off my PC
    > removed it, and restarted. I then shut down and reconnected the Card with
    > the intention to reinstall it. When I try to turn on the PC now it
    > doesn't do anything - No lights, no fans and no noise. I have tried
    > unconnecting everything apart from the motherboard & hard drive
    > connections and still nothing. I am thinking I need a new power supply -
    > Correct? and is there anything else I can try?

    Is the power cord plugged into a wall outlet? Have you tested the wall
    outlet using, say, a lamp that works in a different outlet? Did you try
    plugging into the other socket in the wall outlet, spreading the prongs a
    bit on the power cord, reinserting the cord several time to wipe the
    contacts, or using a different outlet to make sure you didn't have a bad or
    loose socket or corroded/oxidized connectors (in the socket or cord)? Did
    you check the power cord is pushed all the way into the receptacle in the
    power supply?

    Did you take anti-static measures to ensure you didn't zap your system from
    the inside? Did you just push the power button to power down or did you
    actually yank the power cord from the back of the power supply to make sure
    there was no power to the motherboard? ATX-style PSUs still supply 5VSB (5
    volts standby voltage) to the motherboard when the power button has been
    pushed to power down but the cord is still connected (it is needed to supply
    power enough so wake-up events can be detected in, say, your network card
    if, for example, you set the BIOS to wake-on-LAN). See
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/funcSoftPower-c.html.

    Did you check that any daughtercards were FULLY seated in their slots? I've
    seen users that only partially inserted an AGP card and spent a month
    wondering why their system wouldn't power up and why a PCI card would work
    but not the AGP card, and just pushing the AGP card all the way into the
    slot was all that was needed. I've seen some users put the mobo in at the
    wrong height or due to bad case designed so when they crank down on the
    retaining screw for a daughtercard it ends up tilting the card and its
    backside slides up and out of the slot.

    Rather than unconnecting, did you check that the cables were connected? Did
    you check that the power tap going to the motherboard was pushed all the way
    on? Did you leave at least one hard drive connected (some PSUs won't power
    up unless there is enough current drain)? Power up with the just the video
    card, mobo, and a drive plugged into power and with at least one memory
    stick installed.

    Did you watch the CPU's fan to ensure it started spinning when power was
    applied? If it doesn't spin, the BIOS is probably configured to turn off
    the system immediately. Did you check the heatsink is still on the CPU? If
    not, heat goes up fast and the BIOS probably kills the power to ensure the
    CPU doesn't fry.

    Did you use a voltmeter to check voltages from the taps? Did you then test
    them AFTER you connected them (by pushing the probe in from the backside of
    the connector to touch the pins) to check them UNDER LOAD? If you pulled
    off any power taps and reconnected them, pull them off again and check that
    you didn't bend any pins. Maybe you didn't slide them on in the proper
    position. Although most are polarized by the shape of the connector, I've
    seen, for example, the 4-pin Molex connector forced in upside down (so the
    12V power got connected to the 5V pin) and the older P8/P9 connectors in
    AT-style PSUs get reversed. Some cheapy cables, like data cables (to hard
    drives), don't even have the polarizing tab so maybe you reconnected it
    upside down.

    If you can't figure it out, time to let the shop look at it.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Will

    dogsBollix Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in

    > I've been having problems with a USB/Firewire Card so I turned off my PC
    > removed it, and restarted. I then shut down and reconnected the Card
    > with the intention to reinstall it. When I try to turn on the PC now it
    > doesn't do anything - No lights, no fans and no noise. I have tried
    > unconnecting everything apart from the motherboard & hard drive
    > connections and still nothing. I am thinking I need a new power supply
    > - Correct? and is there anything else I can try?
    >
    > Thanks

    on/off switch at the back of the computer where the power cable plugs in ?
    power cable not plugged in properly ?

    dB

    dogsBollix, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Will

    Buffalo Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    > I've been having problems with a USB/Firewire Card so I turned off my PC
    > removed it, and restarted. I then shut down and reconnected the Card with
    > the intention to reinstall it. When I try to turn on the PC now it doesn't
    > do anything - No lights, no fans and no noise. I have tried unconnecting
    > everything apart from the motherboard & hard drive connections and still
    > nothing. I am thinking I need a new power supply - Correct? and is there
    > anything else I can try?
    >
    > Thanks

    Perhaps when you were changing the card, you accidently pushed the On/Off switch
    on the back of the Power Supply or maybe even moved the voltage selector
    (115v-230v) switch slightly. Easy to check.
    Make sure the wall socket you are using is active and that the power cord on
    your set is seated fully.
    Reseat all cards and make sure the cpu fan can turn easily (maybe a wire or
    something has it jammed up).

    Buffalo, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Will

    Will Guest

    Thanks for all the comprehensive replies, much appreciated. I tried many of
    the solutions offered. Different socket, different cable, there is no power
    supply on/off switch and only 230V option, resetting the bios with jumper &
    battery with no luck. So went out and bought a new power supply, installed
    it and booted up first time, but the fan doesn't spin. To be honest I don't
    know if it did with the old power supply in either as I hadn't opened up the
    PC for ages. I am currently backing up and making an image of my hard drive
    just in case. The PC is P4 around 5 years old, am I on borrowed time? Can
    I continue to run without the fan spinning, is there anything else I can do?

    thanks

    Will, Feb 12, 2006
  8. Will

    Will Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for all the comprehensive replies, much appreciated. I tried many
    > of the solutions offered. Different socket, different cable, there is no
    > power supply on/off switch and only 230V option, resetting the bios with
    > jumper & battery with no luck. So went out and bought a new power supply,
    > installed it and booted up first time, but the fan doesn't spin. To be
    > honest I don't know if it did with the old power supply in either as I
    > hadn't opened up the PC for ages. I am currently backing up and making an
    > image of my hard drive just in case. The PC is P4 around 5 years old, am
    > I on borrowed time? Can I continue to run without the fan spinning, is
    > there anything else I can do?
    >
    > thanks

    Sorry just to make that clear that's the Internal PC Fan, not the Power
    supply fan

    Will, Feb 12, 2006
  9. Will

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:22:58 +0000, Will wrote:

    > Thanks for all the comprehensive replies, much appreciated. I tried many
    > of the solutions offered. Different socket, different cable, there is no
    > power supply on/off switch and only 230V option, resetting the bios with
    > jumper & battery with no luck. So went out and bought a new power supply,
    > installed it and booted up first time, but the fan doesn't spin. To be
    > honest I don't know if it did with the old power supply in either as I
    > hadn't opened up the PC for ages. I am currently backing up and making an
    > image of my hard drive just in case. The PC is P4 around 5 years old, am
    > I on borrowed time? Can I continue to run without the fan spinning, is
    > there anything else I can do?
    >
    > thanks

    The fan should spin even if it is the type of PS that has a variable RPM
    fan controlled by the load the PS is under. Take it back and get one with
    a good fan before it too fails.

    Meat Plow, Feb 12, 2006
  10. Will

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:36:14 +0000, Will wrote:

    > "Will" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for all the comprehensive replies, much appreciated. I tried
    >> many of the solutions offered. Different socket, different cable, there
    >> is no power supply on/off switch and only 230V option, resetting the
    >> bios with jumper & battery with no luck. So went out and bought a new
    >> power supply, installed it and booted up first time, but the fan doesn't
    >> spin. To be honest I don't know if it did with the old power supply in
    >> either as I hadn't opened up the PC for ages. I am currently backing up
    >> and making an image of my hard drive just in case. The PC is P4 around
    >> 5 years old, am I on borrowed time? Can I continue to run without the
    >> fan spinning, is there anything else I can do?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    > Sorry just to make that clear that's the Internal PC Fan, not the Power
    > supply fan

    Get a new fan or shorten the life of the CPU

    Meat Plow, Feb 12, 2006