    Who recognises this problem and knows the solution?

    Thanks in advance,

    Steven Spielberg
    Steven Spielberg, May 25, 2004

  2. Steven Spielberg

    Stuart Guest

    Steven Spielberg wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My brother has an old PC (PII/400MHz) and runs Windows XP without big
    > problems.
    > But the only strange problem that does occur is that his PC does not shut
    > down completely (after closing down WinXP)! The screen does, but the PC
    > keeps on running. When running the old Win98, this didn't occur!
    > Who recognises this problem and knows the solution?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >

    > Steven Spielberg

    Sounds like you have to sort out the power management settings, older
    PCs needed to be switched off manually, the last message would say it
    was safe to switch off the pc. Newer PCs with an ATX power supply and
    compatible motherboard can power off on shutdown automatically. It may
    be the message is present but your monitor is turning itself off before
    you see the message. Is the monitor powered by a pass through cable on
    the power supply or a separate socket on the wall?

    Stuart
    Stuart, May 26, 2004

  3. Stuart,

    > Sounds like you have to sort out the power management settings, older
    > PCs needed to be switched off manually, the last message would say it
    > was safe to switch off the pc.

    Well, before I put WinXP on that machine, it was running Win98. With this
    Win98 the shutdown problem did not occur: the pc shut itself down
    automatically after shutting down Windows thru the software.

    > It may be the message is present but your monitor is turning itself off
    > before you see the message.

    I don't think so.

    > Is the monitor powered by a pass through
    > cable on the power supply or a separate socket on the wall?

    No. It's got its own powerplug from the mains.
    Anyway: thanks for your responding. I'll have to search more on the internet
    to see if I can find more about power and XP.

    Steven
    Steven Spielberg, May 26, 2004
  4. Steven Spielberg

    Thor Guest

    "Steven Spielberg" <> wrote in message
    > Stuart,
    >

    > > Sounds like you have to sort out the power management settings, older
    > > PCs needed to be switched off manually, the last message would say it
    > > was safe to switch off the pc.

    > Well, before I put WinXP on that machine, it was running Win98. With this
    > Win98 the shutdown problem did not occur: the pc shut itself down
    > automatically after shutting down Windows thru the software.
    >
    > > It may be the message is present but your monitor is turning itself off
    > > before you see the message.

    > I don't think so.
    >
    > > Is the monitor powered by a pass through
    > > cable on the power supply or a separate socket on the wall?

    > No. It's got its own powerplug from the mains.
    > Anyway: thanks for your responding. I'll have to search more on the

    internet
    > to see if I can find more about power and XP.

    Chances are that when XP installed, it failed to install ACPI support
    because it was disabled in the BIOS, or your BIOS has an incompatibility
    problem with regards to ACPI support. You can try enabling Legacy APM
    support in XP by going to the control panel, clicking on the power options,
    and see if you have an APM tab. If you do, enable the legacy APM support on
    that tab. That may enable proper shutdown. Otherwise, you can try
    reinstalling XP (a repair install), making sure the ACPI power management is
    fully enabled in the BIOS, and XP will likely pick it up upon
    resinstallation and install support for it, enabling proper shutdown.
    Thor, May 27, 2004
  5. Hi Thor,

    > Chances are that when XP installed, it failed to install ACPI support
    > because it was disabled in the BIOS, or your BIOS has an incompatibility
    > problem with regards to ACPI support. You can try enabling Legacy APM
    > support in XP by going to the control panel, clicking on the power

    options,
    > and see if you have an APM tab. If you do, enable the legacy APM support

    on
    > that tab. That may enable proper shutdown. Otherwise, you can try
    > reinstalling XP (a repair install), making sure the ACPI power management

    is
    > fully enabled in the BIOS, and XP will likely pick it up upon
    > resinstallation and install support for it, enabling proper shutdown.

    Thanks for your ideas!
    This weekend I'm gonna give it a try the way you explained.
    It's worth it anyway, for I don't have a clue how to solve it on my own.

    I'll keep you informed, ok?
    Thanks again.

    Steven
    Steven Spielberg, May 27, 2004
  6. Steven Spielberg

    Stephen J. poirier

    Joined:
    May 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Rhode Island USA
    Stephen Poirier

    I tried what you said about enabling the ACPI in the bios and reinstalling XP and it worked. Thank you
    Stephen
    Stephen J. poirier, May 29, 2008