PC doesn't get IP address from a home router.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Carthell, May 21, 2008.

  1. Carthell

    Carthell Guest

    I have a co-worker who owns an eMachines T6532 running XP Media Center
    Edition v2002,
    service pack 2. The PC has an integrated NIC port which is used to
    connect to an Airlink 101
    "AP431W", a wireless access point. The device is situated in the
    finished basement of the
    co-worker's home, immediately behind her LCD monitor. The AP uses the
    generic wireless-G
    standard to connect to a Westell router/DSL modem supplied by Verizon.

    Last week, after a few weeks of uninterrupted operation, her AP lost
    the connection. I go to her
    house today, and I find out that her PC has assigned to itself an
    address within the 169.254.x.x
    range. The AP's IP number is 192.168.x.x. I go in, manually assign
    the PC a 192.168.x.y address,
    log into the AP, check the AP's settings, then set the PC to auto-grab
    its address and the DNS settings
    from the Westell modem.

    The PC thinks for a few seconds, then re-assigns itself a 169 address.
    I use the DOS box to re-set the PC's
    IP address a few times until the PC shows that it has a problem-less
    connection with the static IP address
    I gave it, go upstairs, check the Westell settings, change the
    security keys on both wireless devices (which
    I don't think was changed by the co-worker or anyone who lives with
    her; they are users, and don't have the
    skills to manipulate computer settings on their own. I'm the last
    person who entered the keys).

    The Westell modem shows me that the basement PC is connected, so I go
    downstairs, set the PC again
    to grab its IP information from the local network, and hold my
    breath. It works, for now.

    Suppose the same behavior happens again. Barring a pesky
    environmental problem (I have a similar setup
    at home, but the machines in use are 9 year old Compaqs and a Dell
    that is about two years old-no problems
    encountered!), is there a timing issue that causes the PC to not wait
    for the router to assign an IP addess to it?
    If it is a timing issue, is there something on the PC that I set to
    make the PC less "impatient"?

    -d
    Carthell, May 21, 2008

  2. Carthell

    smlunatick Guest

    On May 20, 10:53 pm, Carthell <> wrote:
    > I have a co-worker who owns an eMachines T6532 running XP Media Center
    > Edition v2002,
    > service pack 2.  The PC has an integrated NIC port which is used to
    > connect to an Airlink 101
    > "AP431W", a wireless access point.  The device is situated in the
    > finished basement of the
    > co-worker's home, immediately behind her LCD monitor.  The AP uses the
    > generic wireless-G
    > standard to connect to a Westell router/DSL modem supplied by Verizon.
    >
    > Last week, after a few weeks of uninterrupted operation, her AP lost
    > the connection.  I go to her
    > house today, and I find out that her PC has assigned to itself an
    > address within the 169.254.x.x
    > range.  The AP's IP number is 192.168.x.x.  I go in, manually assign
    > the PC a 192.168.x.y address,
    > log into the AP, check the AP's settings, then set the PC to auto-grab
    > its address and the DNS settings
    > from the Westell modem.
    >
    > The PC thinks for a few seconds, then re-assigns itself a 169 address.
    > I use the DOS box to re-set the PC's
    > IP address a few times until the PC shows that it has a problem-less
    > connection with the static IP address
    > I gave it, go upstairs, check the Westell settings, change the
    > security keys on both wireless devices (which
    > I don't think was changed by the co-worker or anyone who lives with
    > her; they are users, and don't have the
    > skills to manipulate computer settings on their own. I'm the last
    > person who entered the keys).
    >
    > The Westell modem shows me that the basement PC is connected, so I go
    > downstairs, set the PC again
    > to grab its IP information from the local network, and hold my
    > breath.  It works, for now.
    >
    > Suppose the same behavior happens again.  Barring a pesky
    > environmental problem (I have a similar setup
    > at home, but the machines in use are 9 year old Compaqs and a Dell
    > that is about two years old-no problems
    > encountered!), is there a timing issue that causes the PC to not wait
    > for the router to assign an IP addess to it?
    > If it is a timing issue, is there something on the PC that I set to
    > make the PC less "impatient"?
    >
    > -d

    The 169.254.xxx.xxx is known as auto-ip setting in XP and is
    indicating that the DHCP client service is failing to accept an IP
    address from the router. You need to check the AP to make sure that
    it has DHCP service pass thru to the Westell unit. You need to also
    check the Westell unit.

    You may have to remove and re-install the wrieless card in the
    "questionablle" PC.
    smlunatick, May 21, 2008

  3. Hi
    Could be that the signal was always marginal but just enough to work.
    Some electrical changes in the environment currently deem the signal to be
    None functional any more.
    May be putting the AP up and high would improve the signal propagation.
    Otherwise additional Wireless hardware might be needed to extend signal
    coverage.
    Wireless Router as an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html