PC does not recognize external hard drive when iPod is attached

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Mar 27, 2010.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have a Lenovo M58e desktop running Windows 7. If I have my iPod
    Classic connected to one of the USB ports and then try to connect my
    Seagate 250 GB external hard drive to another USB port the PC does not
    recognize the drive and Windows Explorer crashes. The only way to
    recover is to shut down the computer and unplug the iPod. Once Explorer
    has crashed I cannot eject either the iPod or the hard drive by clicking
    on that little icon in the system tray. The funny thing is if I already
    have the hard drive connected I can still connect the iPod and it works
    fine. It's just the other way around that doesn't work.

    Lenovo support blames Apple for the problem and told me to try
    uninstalling iTunes and the Apple mobile device driver, then reinstall,
    so I tried it but it didn't help. My USP ports have the latest drivers
    and my bios is the latest version. The computer is only four months old.
    I didn't discover this earlier because I had never tried connecting the
    drive when the iPod was already connected before.

    I suppose some might say that this a minor inconvenience and I just
    shouldn't ever connect the iPod when the drive is connected, but it bugs
    me and I want to fix it.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks, John
    John, Mar 27, 2010

  2. John

    The Watcher Guest

    On 27/03/2010 21:48, John wrote:
    > I have a Lenovo M58e desktop running Windows 7. If I have my iPod
    > Classic connected to one of the USB ports and then try to connect my
    > Seagate 250 GB external hard drive to another USB port the PC does not
    > recognize the drive and Windows Explorer crashes.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks, John

    That arrangments works fine down here in Australia using W7HP. I have a
    newer 1TB USB drive and an older iPod 5G "video" plugged into the other
    USB plus and it all works okay, occassionally my iPod shows up as being
    corrupt but unplugging it and then plugging it back in solves the problem.

    Is it possible your external drive is a little flaky? Try it on another
    PC. Perhaps there is a power problem with your USB plugs and there isn't
    enough juice to power both the drive and the ipod.

    Can you plug both devices into another PC and see if something similar
    occurs. I would suspect not.
    The Watcher, Mar 28, 2010

  3. John

    chuckcar Guest

    John <> wrote in

    > I have a Lenovo M58e desktop running Windows 7. If I have my iPod
    > Classic connected to one of the USB ports and then try to connect my
    > Seagate 250 GB external hard drive to another USB port the PC does not
    > recognize the drive and Windows Explorer crashes.

    No error messages at all? Please tell us any. It is relevant and points
    to a cause.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 28, 2010
  4. John

    Aratzio Guest

    On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:03:46 +0000 (UTC), in the land of
    24hoursupport.helpdesk, chuckcar <> got double secret
    probation for writing:

    >John <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a Lenovo M58e desktop running Windows 7. If I have my iPod
    >> Classic connected to one of the USB ports and then try to connect my
    >> Seagate 250 GB external hard drive to another USB port the PC does not
    >> recognize the drive and Windows Explorer crashes.

    >No error messages at all? Please tell us any. It is relevant and points
    >to a cause.

    Jebus fucking christ, you ignorant tool.

    right click "My Computer"
    Manage
    Storage
    Disk Management
    Scroll to one of the drives in question
    Right Click
    Change Drive Letter

    It is one of the most common problems in the fucking world and you are
    too stupid to answer the simplest of questions.
    Aratzio, Mar 28, 2010
  5. John

    John Guest

    §nühw¤£f wrote:
    > John <> clouded the waters of pure
    > thought with
    >
    >> I have a Lenovo M58e desktop running Windows 7. If I have my iPod
    >> Classic connected to one of the USB ports and then try to connect
    >> my Seagate 250 GB external hard drive to another USB port the PC
    >> does not recognize the drive and Windows Explorer crashes. The
    >> only way to recover is to shut down the computer and unplug the
    >> iPod. Once Explorer has crashed I cannot eject either the iPod or
    >> the hard drive by clicking on that little icon in the system tray.
    >> The funny thing is if I already have the hard drive connected I
    >> can still connect the iPod and it works fine. It's just the other
    >> way around that doesn't work.
    >>
    >> Lenovo support blames Apple for the problem and told me to try
    >> uninstalling iTunes and the Apple mobile device driver, then
    >> reinstall, so I tried it but it didn't help. My USP ports have the
    >> latest drivers and my bios is the latest version. The computer is
    >> only four months old. I didn't discover this earlier because I had
    >> never tried connecting the drive when the iPod was already
    >> connected before.
    >>
    >> I suppose some might say that this a minor inconvenience and I
    >> just shouldn't ever connect the iPod when the drive is connected,
    >> but it bugs me and I want to fix it.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks, John
    >>

    > Try this: do 'ctrl+alt+del' and when task manager opens click the
    > performance tab. Now plug the drive in and see how much CPU usage
    > goes up. Next, plug in the iPod and see if it goes up or crashes.
    >
    > Poast yer results.

    Thanks. I tried it and it had no appreciable effect on CPU usage.
    John, Mar 29, 2010
  6. John

    John Guest

    The Watcher wrote:
    > On 27/03/2010 21:48, John wrote:
    >> I have a Lenovo M58e desktop running Windows 7. If I have my iPod
    >> Classic connected to one of the USB ports and then try to connect my
    >> Seagate 250 GB external hard drive to another USB port the PC does not
    >> recognize the drive and Windows Explorer crashes.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks, John

    > That arrangments works fine down here in Australia using W7HP. I have a
    > newer 1TB USB drive and an older iPod 5G "video" plugged into the other
    > USB plus and it all works okay, occassionally my iPod shows up as being
    > corrupt but unplugging it and then plugging it back in solves the problem.
    >
    > Is it possible your external drive is a little flaky? Try it on another
    > PC. Perhaps there is a power problem with your USB plugs and there isn't
    > enough juice to power both the drive and the ipod.
    >
    > Can you plug both devices into another PC and see if something similar
    > occurs. I would suspect not.

    Thanks. No, I cannot reproduce the same problem on my IBM Thinkpad, but
    it runs XP. I don't have access to another PC running Win7.
    John, Mar 29, 2010
  7. John

    John Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > John <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a Lenovo M58e desktop running Windows 7. If I have my iPod
    >> Classic connected to one of the USB ports and then try to connect my
    >> Seagate 250 GB external hard drive to another USB port the PC does not
    >> recognize the drive and Windows Explorer crashes.

    > No error messages at all? Please tell us any. It is relevant and points
    > to a cause.

    No error messages.
    John, Mar 29, 2010
  8. John

    John Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:03:46 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> No error messages at all? Please tell us any. It is relevant and points
    >> to a cause.

    > Yes. The OP needs to scan for malware, and go to a system restore,
    > right?

    I already do frequent scans for malware. I don't think that's the problem.
    John, Mar 29, 2010
  9. John

    John Guest

    Aratzio wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:03:46 +0000 (UTC), in the land of
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk, chuckcar <> got double secret
    > probation for writing:
    >
    >> John <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have a Lenovo M58e desktop running Windows 7. If I have my iPod
    >>> Classic connected to one of the USB ports and then try to connect my
    >>> Seagate 250 GB external hard drive to another USB port the PC does not
    >>> recognize the drive and Windows Explorer crashes.

    >> No error messages at all? Please tell us any. It is relevant and points
    >> to a cause.

    > Jebus fucking christ, you ignorant tool.
    >
    > right click "My Computer"
    > Manage
    > Storage
    > Disk Management
    > Scroll to one of the drives in question
    > Right Click
    > Change Drive Letter
    >
    > It is one of the most common problems in the fucking world and you are
    > too stupid to answer the simplest of questions.

    Thanks for your suggestion. However it didn't work so I changed the
    drive letter back again because changing the letter had messed up a lot
    of different things such as shortcuts that point to that drive.

    Since my PC is still under warranty I am going to call IBM back tomorrow
    and see if I can get some kind of relief from them.
    John, Mar 29, 2010
  10. John

    chuckcar Guest

    John <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> John <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have a Lenovo M58e desktop running Windows 7. If I have my iPod
    >>> Classic connected to one of the USB ports and then try to connect my
    >>> Seagate 250 GB external hard drive to another USB port the PC does
    >>> not recognize the drive and Windows Explorer crashes.

    >> No error messages at all? Please tell us any. It is relevant and
    >> points to a cause.
    >>

    > No error messages.

    You say explorer crashes. You get absolutely no windows when this
    happens all, it just closes? Usually you get something like "explorer
    has cause an invalid page fault..." or somesuch. Perhaps a blue screen
    with indeciferable text and numbers on it along with a phrase you can't
    understand? Sometimes you get "IE has caused an error and must close"
    in a pop-up box. That *isn't* the same thing as windows explorer however.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 29, 2010
  11. John

    chuckcar Guest

    John <> wrote in

    >> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:03:46 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:

    > I already do frequent scans for malware. I don't think that's the
    > problem.

    Of course it isn't. The problem either has to do with some background
    apps running or the drivers for either. Try disabling startup (see first
    link below) and removing *all* drivers under USB and reboot. If you
    still have the problem, I'd be very surprised.

    BTW *absolutely* none are required for MS windows to work properly. Ever.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950093

    You want to not load *any* startup items. Do *not* disable anything else.
    Look for where it says "How to determine the startup item that is causing
    the issue" on the webpage below.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 29, 2010
  12. John

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:53:54 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > indeciferable

    WTF?????

    Aardvark, Mar 29, 2010
  13. John

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:53:56 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Try disabling startup

    LOL. That's chuckie for ya.

    Aardvark, Mar 29, 2010
  14. John

    Jordon Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:53:54 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> indeciferable

    > WTF?????

    That's absolutely indecipherable.

    --