PC Disaster - all program filles disappeared, HD free size gone from 3Gb to 17Gb - Help urgently sou

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by awhiteford, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. awhiteford

    awhiteford Guest

    I ran disc cleanup yesterday as I do every couple of months. Wanting some
    extra space I chose the option to delete backup files from the previous
    operating system. I was running the clean up and doing some other work on
    newsgroups when I got a Windows File Protection Message "Files that are
    required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised
    versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original
    versions of these files." It says a network drive E is not available to
    copy the files from and says to inset my install disc.

    The available space on my hard drive has gone from appox 3Gb to 16.7Gb. I
    now have 1.86Gb of used space. All of the previous directories are still
    listed but if I mouse over them or go to the directories 99% of them are
    empty. I can't access Internet Explorer - just get "this page is not
    available" error. A few directories or sub-directories still have files but
    they're few and far between eg. my Microsoft Games directory has 3 games -
    RON, Age of Empires Conquerors and AoM. The AoE has some files in the
    campaign sub-directory only left. I also have the Sims and the EReg folder
    in that has a number of files still listed while all of the other folders
    are empty, contain 0 bytes.

    However, I have been able to send this message to the news groups and I can
    access messages on all the newsgroups I'm subscribed to. I assume this is
    to do with the fact that I was working in the newsgroups while everything
    else was being stripped off. This happened on my main PC. I have a
    networked PC which is working OK including accessing the internet.

    What went on? What did I do wrong?

    More importantly, can I get my files back or am I stuck with having to
    reinstall everything? I did think of that option but using my install disk
    doesn't work - it won't accept my product ID number.

    Advice urgently sought.

    Thanks

    Anne

    awhiteford, Jan 2, 2005

  2. awhiteford

    Will S Guest

    system restore ?

    Will S, Jan 2, 2005

  3. awhiteford

    nemo outis Guest

    In article <GnHBd.99119$>,
    "awhiteford" <> wrote:
    ...snip...

    No problem - restore your backup.

    You don't have a current backup? Well, although that makes you
    equivalent with 99% of the folks out there, it also makes you an
    improvident moron.

    Seriously, despite my abuse, absorb the point: Not making regular
    backups is a recipe for disaster.

    Regards,

    nemo outis, Jan 2, 2005
  4. awhiteford

    donnie Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:37:58 GMT, "awhiteford"
    <> wrote:

    >To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original
    >versions of these files.

    I searched that error on google and there is a ton of stuff including
    your posts to other forums. Look at some of those sites. Try system
    restore if it's XP as someone already suggested. If that doesn't work
    try some software recovery programs.
    donnie.

    donnie, Jan 2, 2005