PC Died: Motherboard or Power Supply? Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gregg Fowler, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Gregg Fowler

    Gregg Fowler Guest

    Last night I was burning a CD from an audio book supply for my middle school
    class to listen to (I'm a teacher) and my PC died while I was in another
    room. The PC lost shut down completely with no power. I tried to boot the
    computer again and I got nothing. Disconnected all peripherals and still
    nothing. I opened the case and still get power to the motherboard, but the
    computer will not boot nothing. When I push the power button I get the LED's
    to light on the motherboard and the fans (case, processor, and video card)
    jump a bit, but never spin.

    I am not sure whether this is a motherboard/processor or power supply
    problem. Anyone have experience with a similar problem. What I am
    considering is ordering a power supply and motherboard processer combo. I
    will try the power supply first if it works, I'll return the motherboard and
    processer. Anyone have any input on whether this is a good troubleshooting
    technique or if I am in the wrong ball park. My current configuration is a
    Shuttle AK 31 Motherboard with an Athlon XP 1800 processer. The power supply
    is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if the
    power supply is not the problem. I don't currently have a spare power supply
    to check the current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to
    whether or not I am considering the right course of action.

    Thanks in advance,
    Gregg

    Gregg Fowler, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Gregg Fowler

    Dan Shea Guest

    Hi Gregg,

    My money is on the power supply. Does the PS still make the fan
    noises it used to?

    As far as troubleshooting techniques goes, you're on the right track.
    I'd check the power connections, then swap in a new PS. Don't let it
    give power to the motherboard for *too* long wtihout the fans
    spinning...

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Gregg Fowler

    ICee Guest

    Gregg Fowler wrote:
    > Last night I was burning a CD from an audio book supply for my middle
    > school class to listen to (I'm a teacher) and my PC died while I was
    > in another room. The PC lost shut down completely with no power. I
    > tried to boot the computer again and I got nothing. Disconnected all
    > peripherals and still nothing. I opened the case and still get power
    > to the motherboard, but the computer will not boot nothing. When I
    > push the power button I get the LED's to light on the motherboard and
    > the fans (case, processor, and video card) jump a bit, but never spin.

    The fact that the case fan is not spinning up points to a power supply
    problem.

    > I am not sure whether this is a motherboard/processor or power supply
    > problem. Anyone have experience with a similar problem. What I am
    > considering is ordering a power supply and motherboard processer
    > combo. I will try the power supply first if it works, I'll return the
    > motherboard and processer. Anyone have any input on whether this is a
    > good troubleshooting technique or if I am in the wrong ball park. My
    > current configuration is a Shuttle AK 31 Motherboard with an Athlon
    > XP 1800 processer. The power supply is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the
    > motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if the power supply is not the
    > problem. I don't currently have a spare power supply to check the
    > current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to whether or
    > not I am considering the right course of action.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Gregg

    That's how I would troubleshoot it. PSU first, then if that doesn't fix
    it (and the case fan(s) spin), and there are no beeps from the MB when
    powering up, the CPU would be next, then the MB.

    ICee, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Gregg Fowler wrote:

    > 1800 processer. The power supply is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the
    > motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if the power supply is not the
    > problem. I don't currently have a spare power supply to check the
    > current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to whether or
    > not I am considering the right course of action.

    Your plan sounds good, Gregg. I had similar issues last summer, and
    that's exactly what I did. It did turn out to be the mobo. I don't
    know the AK31, but you may have to upgrade memory, too, depending on
    that mobo and the replacement (if you do end up with a new mobo). If
    you want to keep the cost down and you like Shuttle, you might want to
    look at the AK47. I'm running one of those with *my* Athlon 2400+.
    Picked it up at newegg.com for either $52 or $54US.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    Stolen SCO Code: http://snipurl.com/stolen

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Gregg Fowler

    Gregg Fowler Guest

    No, fans don't start spinning, they just kick and stop. Never makes a
    complete rotation.

    Gregg Fowler, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Gregg Fowler

    Gregg Fowler Guest

    Thanks. Hopefully, it is the power supply. I was really happy with what I
    had performance wise.

    Gregg

    Gregg Fowler, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Gregg Fowler

    Randy Guest

    I agree with Dan. It is probablyy the power supply.

    One way to check is to hook up a voltmeter to one of the power leads coming
    out of the PS.
    If you get 5 V DC(red) or 12 V DC(yellow) then PS is probably having a
    problem on the
    'Power Good' line going to the motherboard. If no 5V or 12V, PS is
    definitely bad.

    In either instance, replace the Power Supply (no DC or no Power Good).

    Motherboard requires a voltage on the Power Good led to initiate boot up
    sequence.

    Randy, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Gregg Fowler

    Randy Guest

    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-supply.htm

    In case you want to get into some details on how a PS works.
    Probably not, but is always good to understand the thing that
    can fry your equipment.

    Randy, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Gregg Fowler

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 06:24:38 -0600, "Gregg Fowler"
    <> wrote:

    >No, fans don't start spinning, they just kick and stop. Never makes a
    >complete rotation.

    I stand by my original guess.. :)

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Gregg Fowler

    Kenneth Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 06:26:44 -0600, "Gregg Fowler"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks. Hopefully, it is the power supply. I was really happy with what I
    >had performance wise.
    >
    >Gregg
    >
    >"Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Gregg Fowler wrote:
    >>
    >> > 1800 processer. The power supply is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the
    >> > motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if the power supply is not the
    >> > problem. I don't currently have a spare power supply to check the
    >> > current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to whether or
    >> > not I am considering the right course of action.

    >> Your plan sounds good, Gregg. I had similar issues last summer, and
    >> that's exactly what I did. It did turn out to be the mobo. I don't
    >> know the AK31, but you may have to upgrade memory, too, depending on
    >> that mobo and the replacement (if you do end up with a new mobo). If
    >> you want to keep the cost down and you like Shuttle, you might want to
    >> look at the AK47. I'm running one of those with *my* Athlon 2400+.
    >> Picked it up at newegg.com for either $52 or $54US.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    >> Stolen SCO Code: http://snipurl.com/stolen

    Howdy,

    I will add something that might not be relevant, but...

    Months ago, I had a very similar experience with a Dell Dimension box.

    Prior to my problem, it I shut the system down, and then removed and
    replaced the power cord, the box would re-boot.

    Then, the box died (similar description to the OP: fan kick but no
    spin, MOBO lights on etc.) I pulled the power cord, and removed every
    peripheral and internal card. I replaced one card at a time, each time
    replacing the power cord to reboot. Nothing...

    Eventually (and it took longer than you might expect <g>) I discovered
    that something had changed in the functionality of the power button,
    and the power cord.

    Now, (for reasons that I still don't understand) if I shut down, and
    then remove and replace the power cord, the system does NOT boot. It
    just kicks the fans etc.

    Best to all,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Feb 4, 2004
  11. Randy wrote :-

    One way to check is to hook up a voltmeter to one of the power leads coming
    out of the PS.
    If you get 5 V DC(red) or 12 V DC(yellow) then PS is probably having a
    problem on the
    'Power Good' line going to the motherboard. If no 5V or 12V, PS is
    definitely bad.

    In either instance, replace the Power Supply (no DC or no Power Good).

    Motherboard requires a voltage on the Power Good led to initiate boot up
    sequence.

    Remember!! When you use a multimeter to do the voltage check, you must
    insert the prob into the 'back' end of the plug while it is attached to the
    mobo and powered ON. (This is called 'back-probing'). You'll find that you
    can easily make contact with the wires even though they are covered in their
    coloured sheaths. Do NOT stick the probe into the unplugged plug! Make sure
    the other probe is attached to or touching the chassis. I think you'll find
    the voltages will be fine though! Take your kit apart and reconnect all
    plugs, sockets etc.,. It's unreal how many times I've done this and the
    bloody thing comes up a treat!
    Cheers.
    C.C.

    P.S.
    Black probe to chassis.....'Red probe to wires/connectors....'use the 10
    volt DC FSD range.

    Champagne Charlie, Feb 5, 2004