  1. After I switch on my PC it attempts to dial out. (It does not succeed as it
    does not know the password). Is there a way to find the program that is
    doing this?

    Andrei Sharko, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Andrei Sharko

    Dorado Guest

    Andrei Sharko wrote:
    > After I switch on my PC it attempts to dial out. (It does not
    > succeed as it does not know the password). Is there a way to find
    > the program that is doing this?

    Looks like you got a porn dialer or similar.. do a scan with SpyBot Search
    and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html) it should clean
    it out..

    Dorado, Dec 17, 2004

  3. Andrei Sharko

    Dorado Guest

    Dorado, Dec 17, 2004
  4. Andrei Sharko said the following on 17/12/2004 12:55 p.m.:
    > After I switch on my PC it attempts to dial out. (It does not succeed as it
    > does not know the password). Is there a way to find the program that is
    > doing this?

    While it may be spyware or similar look in your startup for items like
    Instant messanger clients etc which could be set to connect on start up.
    Other issues could be DNS requests from your computer, depending on
    network setup.
    Post a few details, OS etc and see what you get here, it is a broad
    question so a google may well not prove useful.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 17, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 17, 2004
  6. Andrei Sharko

    David Guest

    Andrei Sharko wrote:
    > After I switch on my PC it attempts to dial out. (It does not succeed as it
    > does not know the password). Is there a way to find the program that is
    > doing this?

    Its likely to be spyware, but it could also be a program running at
    startup that is checking for updates etc, most likely coded by someone
    who forgot what it was like to be on dial-up :D

    David, Dec 17, 2004
  7. Andrei Sharko

    David Guest

    David, Dec 17, 2004
  8. Andrei Sharko

    Comp Guest

    > After I switch on my PC it attempts to dial out. (It does not succeed as

    it
    > does not know the password). Is there a way to find the program that is
    > doing this?

    first- dont' use your real email address
    on posts to Usenet.. you may receive
    more SPAM.

    If its an app trying to access the internet..
    rather than dialing an 0900 number.
    ZoneAlarm should tell you what application
    is trying to access the internet. then you can
    block it until it is removed.

    Install ZoneAlarm
    Connect to the internet normally
    Then look at the apps listed in ZoneAlarm.
    You could also block ALL apps then allow
    them back one at a time.

    Someone may see problems with this..
    I don't know enough about the capabilities
    of ZoneAlarm.. but this procedure has worked
    for me in the past.

    Comp, Dec 17, 2004
  9. Andrei Sharko

    Comp Guest

    Comp, Dec 17, 2004
  10. Andrei Sharko

    Warwick Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:03:43 +1300, Comp wrote:

    >> [1 quoted line suppressed]

    > it
    >> [2 quoted lines suppressed]

    > first- dont' use your real email address
    > on posts to Usenet.. you may receive
    > more SPAM.
    >
    > If its an app trying to access the internet..
    > rather than dialing an 0900 number.
    > ZoneAlarm should tell you what application
    > is trying to access the internet. then you can
    > block it until it is removed.
    >
    > Install ZoneAlarm
    > Connect to the internet normally
    > Then look at the apps listed in ZoneAlarm.
    > You could also block ALL apps then allow
    > them back one at a time.
    >
    > Someone may see problems with this..
    > I don't know enough about the capabilities
    > of ZoneAlarm.. but this procedure has worked
    > for me in the past.

    Yah, thats what I was going to suggest. But I followed someones advice on
    here and used sygate personal firewall instead of za.

    if you click 'applications' it goes from a thumbnail view to a list view
    with the name of the app and the path to its exe.

    Warwick, Dec 17, 2004
  11. Andrei Sharko

    Warwick, Dec 17, 2004
  12. Andrei Sharko

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:15:02 +1300, Warwick <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:03:43 +1300, Comp wrote:
    >
    >>> [1 quoted line suppressed]

    >> it
    >>> [2 quoted lines suppressed]

    >> first- dont' use your real email address
    >> on posts to Usenet.. you may receive
    >> more SPAM.
    >>
    >> If its an app trying to access the internet..
    >> rather than dialing an 0900 number.
    >> ZoneAlarm should tell you what application
    >> is trying to access the internet. then you can
    >> block it until it is removed.
    >>
    >> Install ZoneAlarm
    >> Connect to the internet normally
    >> Then look at the apps listed in ZoneAlarm.
    >> You could also block ALL apps then allow
    >> them back one at a time.
    >>
    >> Someone may see problems with this..
    >> I don't know enough about the capabilities
    >> of ZoneAlarm.. but this procedure has worked
    >> for me in the past.

    >Yah, thats what I was going to suggest. But I followed someones advice on
    >here and used sygate personal firewall instead of za.
    >
    >if you click 'applications' it goes from a thumbnail view to a list view
    >with the name of the app and the path to its exe.

    FWIW AntiVir picks up on dialers it knows and allerts you.

    It's free for home use. www.free-av.com

    Craig Shore, Dec 17, 2004
  13. Andrei Sharko

    Craig Shore, Dec 17, 2004