    Spyware Removal Software
    Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)

    Let me know if you have a recommendation.

    RainKingKC, Aug 14, 2007

  2. RainKingKC

    John Holmes Guest

    RainKingKC "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic
    > software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
    > have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
    > Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has a
    > pretty generous variety of freeware apps.
    >
    > RAM/Memory Testing Applications
    > Boot CDs
    > Registry Repair/Cleaners
    > Spyware Removal Software
    > Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)
    >
    > Let me know if you have a recommendation.

    Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

    --
    Your mother was a placid minor celebrity who burnt rubber dog turds on
    the roof of her house.

    John Holmes, Aug 14, 2007

  3. RainKingKC

    Gordon Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:36:47 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> RainKingKC "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic
    >>> software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
    >>> have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
    >>> Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has a
    >>> pretty generous variety of freeware apps.
    >>>
    >>> RAM/Memory Testing Applications
    >>> Boot CDs
    >>> Registry Repair/Cleaners
    >>> Spyware Removal Software
    >>> Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)
    >>>
    >>> Let me know if you have a recommendation.
    >>>

    >> Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

    > Got a download link for that?

    0.08 secs on Google:
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

    Gordon, Aug 14, 2007
  4. RainKingKC

    Meat Plow Guest

    Meat Plow, Aug 14, 2007
  5. RainKingKC

    Vanguard Guest

    "John Holmes" wrote in message

    > RainKingKC:
    >
    >> I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC
    >> diagnostic
    >> software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
    >> have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
    >> Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has
    >> pretty generous variety of freeware apps.
    >>
    >> RAM/Memory Testing Applications
    >> Boot CDs
    >> Registry Repair/Cleaners
    >> Spyware Removal Software
    >> Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)

    > Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once
    > more.

    From http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd, it looks like what you get on
    the CD are trial versions that you then have to install. If the PC is
    bad, how can you guarantee that you can install any of these programs?
    And why would a user permit anyone to download a shit load of
    diagnostic software onto their PC?

    I saw the same thing with the UltimateBootCD
    (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/). Lots of trail or free version but
    they were the install programs. The program doesn't run from the CD.
    You have to install from the CD onto the hard drive which pollutes the
    system or installs aren't possible because of whatever is the problem
    with the PC. Yeah, the CD was bootable to present you with a menu to
    select the programs but once selected you ended up running an
    installation of that program. You weren't running an installed
    version of the program from the CD. There is probably no legal
    problem in redistributing the trial versions of the programs but
    obviously many cannot be the fully installed version running from the
    CD as that would be piracy.

    It's like a download site of utilities but on a CD without the need to
    connect to a site. You could build your own bootable CD of
    installable utilities but Hiren and UltimateBoot have already compiled
    these CDs. Just be aware that many of the programs require that you
    actually *install* them onto the PC with which you are already having
    problems. You'll have to see which programs run from the CD and which
    ones start an installation. They're handy if you have no Internet
    connectivity.

    Vanguard, Aug 14, 2007
  6. RainKingKC

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:55:39 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:36:47 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> RainKingKC "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

    >> Got a download link for that?
    >>

    > 0.08 secs on Google:
    > http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

    Was there, didn't see the "download link"

    Meat Plow, Aug 14, 2007
  7. RainKingKC

    RainKingKC Guest

    On Aug 14, 2:10 pm, Meat Plow <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:55:39 +0100, Gordon wrote:
    > > Meat Plow wrote:

    > >> Got a download link for that?

    > > 0.08 secs on Google:
    > >http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

    > Was there, didn't see the "download link"- Hide quoted text -

    Neither did I. I did, however, find the 9.1 version torrent and was
    able to successfully download it.

    Demonoid has 8.x to 9.1, but I couldn't find 9.2.

    RainKingKC, Aug 14, 2007
  8. RainKingKC

    Clogwog Guest

    "John Holmes" <> schreef in bericht
    > RainKingKC "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic
    >> software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
    >> have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
    >> Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has a
    >> pretty generous variety of freeware apps.
    >>
    >> RAM/Memory Testing Applications
    >> Boot CDs
    >> Registry Repair/Cleaners
    >> Spyware Removal Software
    >> Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)
    >>
    >> Let me know if you have a recommendation.
    >>

    > Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

    Too much of everything, but i'll give it a try on this one:
    http://www2.hiren.info/funny/pictures/broken-computer.jpg

    Clogwog, Aug 14, 2007
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 14, 2007
  10. RainKingKC

    SgtMinor Guest

    There's a link here: http://www.nsaneproductions.com/forums/?showtopic=7482

    SgtMinor, Aug 14, 2007
  11. RainKingKC

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:25:12 -0000, RainKingKC wrote:

    >I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic

    Knoppix live CD.

    BartPE CD, if you own a license for stuff like Nero / Acronis you can
    add these as plugins, if you are then able to boot you can also backup
    data.

    >software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
    >have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
    >Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has a
    >pretty generous variety of freeware apps.
    >
    >RAM/Memory Testing Applications
    >Boot CDs
    >Registry Repair/Cleaners
    >Spyware Removal Software
    >Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)
    >
    >Let me know if you have a recommendation.

    See if you can find some of my old posts, there was a thread a while ago
    with lists of tools for the same reason. As well as contributions from
    others :)

    Just about everything from www.sysinternals.com

    Can't recall the URL, maybe snapfiles, they have some stuff called USB
    Tools, doesn't need installed.

    You may want to make up a set of loopback serial adapters, google for
    premade or instructions on how to make. Ditto for Ethernet plug.

    Have a look around www.runtime.org and the DriveImageXML / HDhost. Both
    GetDataBack and Explorer, also works on a Bart/WinPE boot disk. With
    some planning you install HDhost on machines before you need it then can
    recover data via network or serial port.

    Another recent post mentioned Hiren's Boot CD.

    Try
    again.

    Me

    why?, Aug 14, 2007
  12. RainKingKC

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:31:16 -0400, SgtMinor wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>>0.08 secs on Google:
    >>>http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

    >> Was there, didn't see the "download link"
    >>

    > There's a link here: http://www.nsaneproductions.com/forums/?showtopic=7482

    Thanks mucho.

    Meat Plow, Aug 14, 2007
  13. RainKingKC

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:55:39 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    >Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:36:47 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> RainKingKC "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    <snip>

    >>> Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

    >> Got a download link for that?
    >>

    >0.08 secs on Google:
    >http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

    The link (or many links) is easy, the ISO file not easy to find. 10
    minutes last week. It seemed too easy when mentioned earlier and needed
    a bit of a challenge.

    Should still be in browser history,
    http://maxt.dk/archives/2007/05/28/hirens-bootcd-91/

    Seems to have a lot of non free applications :) could have done with
    this last year before buying lots of that stuff.

    Me

    why?, Aug 14, 2007
  14. RainKingKC

    RainKingKC Guest

    On Aug 14, 3:45 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:55:39 +0100, Gordon wrote:
    > >Meat Plow wrote:

    > <snip>

    > >> Got a download link for that?

    > >0.08 secs on Google:
    > >http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

    > The link (or many links) is easy, the ISO file not easy to find. 10
    > minutes last week. It seemed too easy when mentioned earlier and needed
    > a bit of a challenge.
    >
    > Should still be in browser history,http://maxt.dk/archives/2007/05/28/hirens-bootcd-91/
    >
    > Seems to have a lot of non free applications :) could have done with
    > this last year before buying lots of that stuff.
    >
    > Me

    Yeah, demonoid has the .iso file available for download as well. If
    you haven't, check into it there. No funny business. Just hardcore
    images.

    RainKingKC, Aug 14, 2007
  15. RainKingKC

    Guest

    , Aug 14, 2007
  16. RainKingKC

    John Holmes Guest

    Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:36:47 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> RainKingKC "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to write a CD with a pretty standard set of PC diagnostic
    >>> software for the typical desktop field support technician. Anyone
    >>> have any suggestions on programs that you've tested and utilized?
    >>> Most of my diagnostic programs I pull from download.com - which has a
    >>> pretty generous variety of freeware apps.
    >>>
    >>> RAM/Memory Testing Applications
    >>> Boot CDs
    >>> Registry Repair/Cleaners
    >>> Spyware Removal Software
    >>> Diagnostic Programs (i.e. Dr.Watson)
    >>>
    >>> Let me know if you have a recommendation.
    >>>

    >> Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

    > Got a download link for that?

    Is your email addy valid? If not, contact me and I'll send you the link.

    --
    Your mother was a lazy buffoon who worshipped teapots up scaffolding.

    John Holmes, Aug 14, 2007
  17. RainKingKC

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:45:14 +0000, why? wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:55:39 +0100, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>Meat Plow wrote:

    > <snip>

    >>> Got a download link for that?
    >>>

    >>0.08 secs on Google:
    >>http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

    > The link (or many links) is easy, the ISO file not easy to find. 10
    > minutes last week. It seemed too easy when mentioned earlier and needed
    > a bit of a challenge.
    >
    > Should still be in browser history,
    > http://maxt.dk/archives/2007/05/28/hirens-bootcd-91/
    >
    > Seems to have a lot of non free applications :) could have done with
    > this last year before buying lots of that stuff.

    SgtMinor just posted the link for 9.2.

    Meat Plow, Aug 14, 2007
  18. RainKingKC

    ian field Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Meat Plow <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Hiren's Boot CD has everything, no need to invent the wheel once more.

    >>Got a download link for that?
    >>

    > The pirate bay....
    > http://thepiratebay.org/search/Hiren\'s%20Boot%20CD/0/3/0
    > and use http://www.utorrent.com/
    > --
    >
    > http://wannabepoet.net/img/0001/Mexican.jpg

    Every time I try to download the hirens iso from pirates bay, I get a 13k
    file - what am I doing wrong?

    ian field, Aug 14, 2007
  19. RainKingKC

    Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message

    >>>Got a download link for that?
    >>>

    >> The pirate bay....
    >> http://thepiratebay.org/search/Hiren\'s%20Boot%20CD/0/3/0
    >> and use http://www.utorrent.com/
    >> --
    >>
    >> http://wannabepoet.net/img/0001/Mexican.jpg

    >Every time I try to download the hirens iso from pirates bay, I get a 13k
    >file - what am I doing wrong?

    That's the tracker, double click on the 13K file to start your torrent
    program (and the download).

    The Pirate Bay has a how to
    http://thepiratebay.org/help

    --

    http://wannabepoet.net/img/0001/Mexican.jpg

    , Aug 14, 2007
  20. RainKingKC

    ian field Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "ian field" <> wrote:
    >

    >><> wrote in message

    >>> The pirate bay....
    >>> http://thepiratebay.org/search/Hiren\'s%20Boot%20CD/0/3/0
    >>> and use http://www.utorrent.com/
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> http://wannabepoet.net/img/0001/Mexican.jpg

    >>Every time I try to download the hirens iso from pirates bay, I get a 13k
    >>file - what am I doing wrong?

    > That's the tracker, double click on the 13K file to start your torrent
    > program (and the download).
    >
    > The Pirate Bay has a how to
    > http://thepiratebay.org/help
    >
    > --
    >
    > http://wannabepoet.net/img/0001/Mexican.jpg

    Also the AVG resident shield is now reporting a virus since accessing
    pirates bay and so far repeated attempts to remove it all report successful
    removal - but its still there when I rescan!

    ian field, Aug 14, 2007