PC Diagnostic tools

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mr User, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Right without a too long story ...

    I need a Tool that will help identify the reason for intermittent
    reboots! or any insight into event logs or whatever that the OS
    generates (XP Pro).

    I eventually bought a new MoBo/CPU/PSU/RAM and built a new PC. Works fine.

    The old PC I borrowed a CPU (XP 2600), MoBo (GA-7VA) etc and eventually
    after a few weeks found 1 of the 2 HD's failed. Problem solved right?
    .... wrong!

    I put the old PC back together with extra cooling, new HD, different PSU
    etc and it is rebooting again although not as frequently
    (XP2200/A7V333/Nvidia Ti4600).

    Currently running Everest Stress test but no failures. It rebooted with
    Prime 95 but Prime doesn't give enough detail. Gonna run Prime again
    after adding an additional Video card cooling fan. I have a spare AGP
    card which I might install and try again assuming Prime crashes the system.

    Back to the drawing board ... argh!

    TIA

    Mr User, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Mr User

    Guest

    Mr User <> wrote:

    >I need a Tool that will help identify the reason for intermittent
    >reboots! or any insight into event logs or whatever that the OS
    >generates (XP Pro).

    If it's a program problem
    Start | Run <type in> drwtsn32 <enter>

    A system problem
    Start | Run <type in> perfmon.msc <enter>
    Very useful.
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/J_Helmig/wxpperfm.htm

    Set it up to save, so when you crash you can load the log and view the
    output.

    It's more for bottlenecks but will show trends (memory leak)

    --
    All things Hubble
    http://www.spacetelescope.org/videos/archive/topic/dvd//

    , Aug 9, 2006

  3. Mr User

    Rod Speed Guest

    Mr User <> wrote:
    > Right without a too long story ...
    >
    > I need a Tool that will help identify the reason for intermittent
    > reboots! or any insight into event logs or whatever that the OS
    > generates (XP Pro).
    >
    > I eventually bought a new MoBo/CPU/PSU/RAM and built a new PC. Works
    > fine.
    > The old PC I borrowed a CPU (XP 2600), MoBo (GA-7VA) etc and
    > eventually after a few weeks found 1 of the 2 HD's failed. Problem
    > solved right? ... wrong!
    >
    > I put the old PC back together with extra cooling, new HD, different
    > PSU etc and it is rebooting again although not as frequently
    > (XP2200/A7V333/Nvidia Ti4600).
    >
    > Currently running Everest Stress test but no failures. It rebooted with Prime 95 but
    > Prime doesn't give enough detail.

    What shows up in the XP event log when it does crash ?

    > Gonna run Prime again after adding an additional Video card cooling fan. I have a spare
    > AGP card which I might install and try again assuming Prime crashes the system.

    > Back to the drawing board ... argh!

    Its much more likely to be a memory problem, try memtest86+ overnight.

    Rod Speed, Aug 10, 2006
  4. Mr User enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:

    > The old PC I borrowed a CPU (XP 2600), MoBo (GA-7VA) etc and
    > eventually after a few weeks found 1 of the 2 HD's failed. Problem
    > solved right? ... wrong!
    >
    > I put the old PC back together with extra cooling, new HD, different
    > PSU etc and it is rebooting again although not as frequently
    > (XP2200/A7V333/Nvidia Ti4600).
    >
    > Currently running Everest Stress test but no failures. It rebooted
    > with Prime 95 but Prime doesn't give enough detail. Gonna run Prime
    > again after adding an additional Video card cooling fan. I have a
    > spare AGP card which I might install and try again assuming Prime
    > crashes the system.

    You did disable "automatic restart on error" to show the bluescreen that
    causes the reboots?
    Whazupp in event viewer - "system"?

    If your mainboard on that pc isn't new, you may suffer from bad
    capacitors (bulged or even electrolyte stains on top) that can cause
    such effects. We have a bunch of "brand" pcs, showing that.

    Walter Mautner, Aug 10, 2006
  5. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:
    >> I need a Tool that will help identify the reason for intermittent
    >> reboots! or any insight into event logs or whatever that the OS
    >> generates (XP Pro).

    > Its much more likely to be a memory problem, try memtest86+ overnight.

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try them all.
    I have run Memetest86 before several times but on boot today ...

    > A7V333
    >
    > 15:12 boot
    > The instruction @ 0x7c9111de referenced memory @ 0x0073005c. The mem
    > could not be read. Click OK to terminate program.
    >
    > 15:14 Rebooted automatically
    > 15:15 Did not boot properly select ... blah blah "reboot normally"
    > 15:16 Black screen with mouse pointer
    > 15:18 Manual reset - Booted normally into XP

    Currently running Memtest86 again.

    Thanks

    Mr User, Aug 10, 2006
  6. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Mr User wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >>> I need a Tool that will help identify the reason for intermittent
    >>> reboots! or any insight into event logs or whatever that the OS
    >>> generates (XP Pro).

    >> Its much more likely to be a memory problem, try memtest86+ overnight.

    > Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try them all.
    > I have run Memetest86 before several times but on boot today ...
    >
    > Currently running Memtest86 again.

    Memtest has run now for 25 hrs with no failures.

    Mr User, Aug 11, 2006
  7. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    >> Currently running Everest Stress test but no failures. It rebooted
    >> with Prime 95 but Prime doesn't give enough detail. Gonna run Prime
    >> again after adding an additional Video card cooling fan. I have a
    >> spare AGP card which I might install and try again assuming Prime
    >> crashes the system.
    >>

    > You did disable "automatic restart on error" to show the bluescreen that
    > causes the reboots?

    Blue screens were never helpful and identified a variety of drivers etc
    which are not related to the problem. Clean install XP Pro with most
    updates but no other items loaded/installed.

    > Whazupp in event viewer - "system"?

    Event Viewer Output >>

    11/08/2006 @ 18:55:42 Source: NetBT
    Initialization failed because the transport refused to open initial
    Addresses.

    11/08/2006 @ 18:55:50 Source: Savedump
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e
    (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0xf7dc4940, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081106-03.dmp.

    11/08/2006 @ 17:44:25 Source: NetBT
    Initialization failed because the transport refused to open initial
    Addresses.

    11/08/2006 @ 17:40:56 Source: Savedump
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e
    (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0xf557540c, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081106-01.dmp.

    Does this help!? I'm still confused!

    Mr User, Aug 11, 2006
  8. Mr User

    Rod Speed Guest

    Mr User <> wrote:
    > Mr User wrote:

    >>> Its much more likely to be a memory problem, try memtest86+
    >>> overnight.

    >> Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try them all.
    >> I have run Memetest86 before several times but on boot today ...
    >>
    >> Currently running Memtest86 again.

    > Memtest has run now for 25 hrs with no failures.

    It doesnt always pick up all memory problems.

    Rod Speed, Aug 12, 2006
  9. Mr User

    Fred Tehbot Guest

    Rod Speed <>, inveigled in
    <>:

    > It doesnt always pick up all memory problems.

    It's hard to know.

    Fred Tehbot, Aug 12, 2006
  10. Mr User

    Plato Guest

    Mr User wrote:

    > Right without a too long story ...
    >
    > I need a Tool that will help identify the reason for intermittent
    > reboots! or any insight into event logs or whatever that the OS
    > generates (XP Pro).

    No such animal as it can be either hardware or software.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 14, 2006
  11. Mr User

    Mr User Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Mr User enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:

    >> The old PC I borrowed a CPU (XP 2600), MoBo (GA-7VA) etc and
    >> eventually after a few weeks found 1 of the 2 HD's failed. Problem
    >> solved right? ... wrong!
    >>
    >> I put the old PC back together with extra cooling, new HD, different
    >> PSU etc and it is rebooting again although not as frequently
    >> (XP2200/A7V333/Nvidia Ti4600).

    > If your mainboard on that pc isn't new, you may suffer from bad
    > capacitors (bulged or even electrolyte stains on top) that can cause
    > such effects. We have a bunch of "brand" pcs, showing that.

    ^^ Dead on. I noticed some capacitors near hot spots on the MoBo had
    some electrolyte on top. Further investigation proved conclusively that
    the MoBo was indeed faulty. Thanks

    Mr User, Aug 20, 2006