    Microsoft's new beta Antispyware to serach for viruses, spyware and
    trojans, but the problems continues.

    I'm stumped and welcome any suggestions.
    notme, Feb 10, 2005

  2. notme <> wrote in
    news::

    > A friend's PC (XP Pro) randomly advances in time, sometimes up to
    > eight months ahead, never back in time. The change occurs not just
    > when re-booting, but also when the PC is running. Sometimes the hour
    > of the day will change also, but never the minutes or seconds.
    >
    > I suspected a dying CMOS battery, but after twice installing new
    > replacements, the problem continies. I've used NAV 2005, Spybot and
    > Microsoft's new beta Antispyware to serach for viruses, spyware and
    > trojans, but the problems continues.
    >
    > I'm stumped and welcome any suggestions.

    A bad battery will show up as losing time when the computer is powered
    off. Your problem sounds more like your computer synchronizing to a
    network time server whose time is not set correctly. Does it always
    happen when you are connected to a network? Are you running Netware?
    Netware picks a server at random and syncs up to it time-wise. If that
    server has the wrong time, so will you. You might also see if the
    problem stops if you stop the Windows time client:
    > net stop w32time

    HTH,
    John
    John Wunderlich, Feb 11, 2005