    uses all available RAM for scanning is the issue likely to be faulty
    RAM. I am not too good with hardware but swapping RAM is not too hard to do.

    GJ

    GJ, Jul 4, 2005

  2. GJ wrote:
    > A friends PC always crashes. It goes from running to being totally off
    > in under 1 second. No displays, do shutdown.
    >
    > He runs MS Access often and has crashed when this is open but not under
    > general use. Last night I removed some old software and then was running
    > AdAware when the PC crashed. As MS Acess is a memory hog and AdAware
    > uses all available RAM for scanning is the issue likely to be faulty
    > RAM. I am not too good with hardware but swapping RAM is not too hard to
    > do.

    Run Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/). You can burn it to a bootable
    cd. It'll tell you if your RAM has any problems. You should also look
    for problems like an overheating CPU, or the user kicking the power
    cable out (It happens! Maybe the plug is loose in the socket). Does the
    screen lose power as well? Perhaps it is a more general power fault?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 4, 2005

  3. GJ

    GJ Guest

    Thanks for the advice, forgot about MEMTEST adn I hav the CD at home
    somewhere.

    Power cable is not an issue. It is an issue that he has had for some
    time. It is not dependant on the time the PC has been on as last night
    it had only been on for 15 minutes when Adaware crashed it. Other times
    i operates for a full day without access running.

    GJ, Jul 4, 2005
  4. GJ

    David Preece Guest

    David Preece, Jul 5, 2005
  5. GJ

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "GJ" <> wrote in news:1120511209.484369.258160
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > it had only been on for 15 minutes when Adaware crashed it. Other times
    > i operates for a full day without access running.

    This sounds like a probably wimpy power supply. More CPU and drive
    activity = more power needed, and if it does not get it delivered, the
    motherboard or cpu may turn off to protect itself from very serious
    potential damage.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 5, 2005
  6. "GJ" <> wrote in message news:42c98b72$...
    > A friends PC always crashes. It goes from running to being totally off
    > in under 1 second. No displays, do shutdown.
    >
    > He runs MS Access often and has crashed when this is open but not under
    > general use. Last night I removed some old software and then was running
    > AdAware when the PC crashed. As MS Acess is a memory hog and AdAware
    > uses all available RAM for scanning is the issue likely to be faulty
    > RAM. I am not too good with hardware but swapping RAM is not too hard to

    do.

    > GJ

    Does it ever shutdown prior to completing its bios load ?? Or is it always
    in windows when it fails ?

    ShuckItAnShee, Jul 5, 2005
  7. GJ

    Nova Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    > GJ wrote:
    >
    >> A friends PC always crashes. It goes from running to being totally off
    >> in under 1 second.

    > How old is it? Look on the circuitboard for farked capacitors:
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/dpreece/badcaps.JPG
    >
    > http://www.badcaps.net/
    >
    > Dave

    OOh nice post, I have an pc that is a few years old but it's now
    unplugged simply because it was getting more and more unstable, after
    reading this I opened it up, sure enough 5 cap's were bulging and were
    leaking that brown eletrolyte stuff.. i had never heard of this problem
    before, amazing considering how widespread it seems to be..

    Nova, Jul 5, 2005
  8. GJ

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > David Preece wrote:
    >
    >> GJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friends PC always crashes. It goes from running to being totally
    >>> off in under 1 second.

    >> How old is it? Look on the circuitboard for farked capacitors:
    >>
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/dpreece/badcaps.JPG
    >>
    >> http://www.badcaps.net/
    >>
    >> Dave

    > OOh nice post, I have an pc that is a few years old but it's now
    > unplugged simply because it was getting more and more unstable, after
    > reading this I opened it up, sure enough 5 cap's were bulging and were
    > leaking that brown eletrolyte stuff.. i had never heard of this problem
    > before, amazing considering how widespread it seems to be..

    Same thing even more likely inside the power supply, especially if it has been
    running hot due to blocked air vents or a stuffed fan.

    Roger_Nickel, Jul 6, 2005