    two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
    repaired easily.

    What do you think?
    GraB, Sep 27, 2005

  2. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
    > like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
    >
    > 1. optical drives
    > 2. PSUs
    > 3. hard drives and monitors
    >
    > Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
    > two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
    > repaired easily.
    >
    > What do you think?

    Most pure electronic devices have a long life. The failure of certain
    types of products can be put down to:

    1. Electronic components with a limited life. Electrolytic caps, laser
    diodes and CRT tubes come to mind here.

    2. Mechanical components that wear out - the surfaces and bearings of
    HDDs for example.

    There may be other examples. As you've noticed, optical drives tend to
    have a short life of say five years. These days if someone offers me a
    CD ROM drive older than say 2000 I won't even look at it.
    Rob J, Sep 27, 2005

  3. GraB

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:26:44 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
    >like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
    >
    >1. optical drives
    >2. PSUs
    >3. hard drives and monitors
    >
    >Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
    >two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
    >repaired easily.
    >
    >What do you think?

    Depends if Crap products are used.

    There are Fans with a 6 Year Warrantee and PSU with 5, Plus Seagate drives are
    5 years..

    Good cooling is very important.

    I have never had a Monitor Fail yet..
    XP, Sep 27, 2005
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:22:43 +1200, XP
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:26:44 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
    >>like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
    >>
    >>1. optical drives
    >>2. PSUs
    >>3. hard drives and monitors
    >>
    >>Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
    >>two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
    >>repaired easily.
    >>
    >>What do you think?

    >Depends if Crap products are used.
    >
    >There are Fans with a 6 Year Warrantee and PSU with 5, Plus Seagate drives are
    >5 years..
    >

    >Good cooling is very important.
    >
    >I have never had a Monitor Fail yet..

    I have had one monitor fail, one friend had one fail and another had
    two. Except for mine, the others were right-offs.
    GraB, Sep 27, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
    > like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
    >
    > 1. optical drives
    > 2. PSUs
    > 3. hard drives and monitors
    >
    > Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
    > two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
    > repaired easily.
    >
    > What do you think?

    Mine looks not too different; what I see go belly up would be:
    1 - optical drives
    1.01 - analogue modems (lightening surges)( I live rurally which may
    have a bearing)
    2 - monitors
    3 - soundcards (!)
    4 - assorted fans (GPU, CPU, PSU)
    5 - floppy drives

    I think I only had to get one harddrive replaced, ever, seen a couple
    get zonked by over-filling (format sorted those out).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 27, 2005
  6. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 01:26:24 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
    >> like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
    >>
    >> 1. optical drives
    >> 2. PSUs
    >> 3. hard drives and monitors
    >>
    >> Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
    >> two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
    >> repaired easily.
    >>
    >> What do you think?
    >>

    >Mine looks not too different; what I see go belly up would be:
    >1 - optical drives
    >1.01 - analogue modems (lightening surges)( I live rurally which may
    > have a bearing)
    >2 - monitors
    >3 - soundcards (!)
    >4 - assorted fans (GPU, CPU, PSU)
    >5 - floppy drives
    >
    >I think I only had to get one harddrive replaced, ever, seen a couple
    >get zonked by over-filling (format sorted those out).
    >
    >-P.

    I have had one soundcard go wonky, an old SoundBlaster16 ISA card, but
    that came right after about three months. (A mobo I had that failed
    when the PSU failed came back when I tried it again after a year -
    still going strong - now called Lazarus).
    GraB, Sep 27, 2005
  7. GraB

    Bob McLellan Guest

    and dust

    Bob McLellan, Sep 27, 2005
  8. GraB

    Richard Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > There may be other examples. As you've noticed, optical drives tend to
    > have a short life of say five years. These days if someone offers me a
    > CD ROM drive older than say 2000 I won't even look at it.

    If someone was to offer me a cdrom drive, I wouldnt look at it ;)
    Richard, Sep 27, 2005
  9. GraB

    PC Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
    > like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
    >
    > 1. optical drives
    > 2. PSUs
    > 3. hard drives and monitors
    >
    > Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
    > two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
    > repaired easily.
    >
    > What do you think?

    All from memory so estimates only:

    Stuff lying around here waiting for the next rubbish trip
    3 x 150w ATX PSU dead
    5 x 200w AT PSU dead
    15 x 2-300w ATX PSU dead
    6 x 200w ATX PSU bulging caps
    5 x IDE HD 1 - 40GB dead or dying
    6 x Motherboard, bulging caps
    3 x Motherboard just no go
    25 x Modems internal dead/no dialtone

    Previous clearouts
    30+ CD Readers dead
    3+ CD Burners dead.
    20+ Modems
    ? under 1GB hard drives
    ? 486 motherboards Nicad corrosion
    ? Floppy disk drives dead/no read
    A few soundcards various makes dead.
    Some Video cards mainly ram faults
    Probably 5-10 14" Monitors dead or needing work.
    2 x 15" Edge/Millenium Monitors dead less than 5 years old.
    17" Compaq Monitor underscan.

    As a general observation
    Monitors don't like being stored & lots of 15" Monitors being given away
    now.
    Machines run 24/7 die very quickly if turned off for a while (mainly PS)
    Until I junked them last week I had quite a few Compaq's 386/486 still going
    very well (with HD replacements)
    Fans only tossed a few, they usually respond very well to the right
    lubrication.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Sep 28, 2005
  10. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:37:53 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
    >> like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
    >>
    >> 1. optical drives
    >> 2. PSUs
    >> 3. hard drives and monitors
    >>
    >> Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
    >> two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
    >> repaired easily.
    >>
    >> What do you think?

    >All from memory so estimates only:
    >
    >Stuff lying around here waiting for the next rubbish trip
    >3 x 150w ATX PSU dead
    >5 x 200w AT PSU dead
    >15 x 2-300w ATX PSU dead
    >6 x 200w ATX PSU bulging caps
    >5 x IDE HD 1 - 40GB dead or dying
    >6 x Motherboard, bulging caps
    >3 x Motherboard just no go
    >25 x Modems internal dead/no dialtone
    >
    >Previous clearouts
    >30+ CD Readers dead
    >3+ CD Burners dead.
    >20+ Modems
    >? under 1GB hard drives
    >? 486 motherboards Nicad corrosion
    >? Floppy disk drives dead/no read
    >A few soundcards various makes dead.
    >Some Video cards mainly ram faults
    >Probably 5-10 14" Monitors dead or needing work.
    >2 x 15" Edge/Millenium Monitors dead less than 5 years old.
    >17" Compaq Monitor underscan.
    >
    >As a general observation
    >Monitors don't like being stored & lots of 15" Monitors being given away
    >now.
    >Machines run 24/7 die very quickly if turned off for a while (mainly PS)
    >Until I junked them last week I had quite a few Compaq's 386/486 still going
    >very well (with HD replacements)
    >Fans only tossed a few, they usually respond very well to the right
    >lubrication.

    Looks like there has been a massacre at your place.
    GraB, Sep 28, 2005
  11. GraB

    S Roby Guest

    In article <>, GraB <> wrote:
    >It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
    >like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
    >
    >1. optical drives
    >2. PSUs
    >3. hard drives and monitors

    Fans arnt a minor thing when your PSU overheats BIG TIME because of dead fan

    It depends on Brands. Some (CD?DVD) brands are very reliable, very low failure
    rate. You only get a true idea of brand reliablity when you sell them & see
    which brands give you grief with all the warranties needed to process.

    Asuming good brands I would say

    1)fans
    2)Hard Drives
    3)Monitors

    The GOOD CD drives we sold proved to be very reliable,but expensive (the few
    that failed were probhably just FULL of dust)
    The GOOD PSU's rarely failed

    Crappy brands: I know of a guy who worked at a Well Known (small) AK PC
    retailer
    Their PSU's were very cheap: they had a 30% failure rate. Because they were so
    cheap his boss didnt care
    S Roby, Sep 28, 2005
  12. GraB

    S Roby Guest

    >? 486 motherboards Nicad corrosion

    Ah, brings back the memories.......
    S Roby, Sep 28, 2005
  13. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
    >> like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
    >>
    >> 1. optical drives
    >> 2. PSUs
    >> 3. hard drives and monitors
    >>
    >> Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have
    >> had two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
    >> repaired easily.
    >>
    >> What do you think?
    >>

    > Mine looks not too different; what I see go belly up would be:
    > 1 - optical drives
    > 1.01 - analogue modems (lightening surges)( I live rurally which may
    > have a bearing)
    > 2 - monitors
    > 3 - soundcards (!)
    > 4 - assorted fans (GPU, CPU, PSU)
    > 5 - floppy drives
    >
    > I think I only had to get one harddrive replaced, ever, seen a couple
    > get zonked by over-filling (format sorted those out).

    Strangely I've had two GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB graphics cards from different
    manufacturers go toes-up. Both had clean, working fans.

    Other than that, HHDs, Optical drives, fans and a couple PSUs. Oh, I've also
    had a couple of PC133 SDRAM modules get flakey recently. Older stuff, like,
    5 years old. Had to bin a 256MB module and I have two 128's that give
    occasional errors with Memtest. Annoying as it's relatively expensive/very
    difficult to replace (at least the older, multi-chip, double sided stuff
    that the mobos require).
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 28, 2005
  14. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>> It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
    >>> like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
    >>>
    >>> 1. optical drives
    >>> 2. PSUs
    >>> 3. hard drives and monitors
    >>>
    >>> Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have
    >>> had two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
    >>> repaired easily.
    >>>
    >>> What do you think?
    >>>

    >> Mine looks not too different; what I see go belly up would be:
    >> 1 - optical drives
    >> 1.01 - analogue modems (lightening surges)( I live rurally which may
    >> have a bearing)
    >> 2 - monitors
    >> 3 - soundcards (!)
    >> 4 - assorted fans (GPU, CPU, PSU)
    >> 5 - floppy drives
    >>
    >> I think I only had to get one harddrive replaced, ever, seen a couple
    >> get zonked by over-filling (format sorted those out).

    > Strangely I've had two GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB graphics cards from
    > different manufacturers go toes-up. Both had clean, working fans.
    >
    > Other than that, HHDs, Optical drives, fans and a couple PSUs. Oh,
    > I've also had a couple of PC133 SDRAM modules get flakey recently.
    > Older stuff, like, 5 years old. Had to bin a 256MB module and I have
    > two 128's that give occasional errors with Memtest. Annoying as it's
    > relatively expensive/very difficult to replace (at least the older,
    > multi-chip, double sided stuff that the mobos require).

    Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, mobos with bulging/leaking capacitors.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 28, 2005
  15. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PC wrote:
    > Fans only tossed a few, they usually respond very well to the right
    > lubrication.

    Being?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 28, 2005
  16. GraB

    David Butler Guest

    I've had

    2 x Power Supply fans fail, causing the motherboard to bulge all Capicators
    1 x ATX Powersupply exploded in the middle of the night the computer was not
    on
    2 x Hard Disks fail, usually after removing them from a PC, they never
    worked again when refitted

    David Butler, Sep 28, 2005
  17. GraB

    MarkH Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:433a44cb$1
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > PC wrote:
    >> Fans only tossed a few, they usually respond very well to the right
    >> lubrication.

    > Being?

    I have found that the fan on my ti4200 that got very noisy, responded well
    to a drop of Mobil 1 about a year ago. It is still running quiet now!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Sep 28, 2005
  18. GraB

    PC Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > PC wrote:
    >> Fans only tossed a few, they usually respond very well to the right
    >> lubrication.

    > Being?
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Car engine oil. (Castrol, Shell, Mobil whatever) done dozens.

    P.
    PC, Sep 28, 2005
  19. GraB

    PC Guest

    "David Butler" <> wrote in message
    > I've had
    >
    > 2 x Power Supply fans fail, causing the motherboard to bulge all
    > Capicators

    I think you will find that is merely coincidence.
    Check out "bulging capacitors" on Google.

    Cheers
    Paul
    PC, Sep 28, 2005
  20. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> PC wrote:
    >>> Fans only tossed a few, they usually respond very well to the right
    >>> lubrication.

    >> Being?
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > Car engine oil. (Castrol, Shell, Mobil whatever) done dozens.

    And to MarkH. Thanks. I'd heard rumours about the only stuff worth using was
    some teflon-rich stuff used for bicycles, chain lube I guess. I've been
    waitning until I had some spare cash to go to the bike shop. Alas, spare
    cash hasn't been forthcoming. I've used "household" oil (3'in'1 type) before
    with only very temporary inprovements.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 28, 2005