PC Company computer bits sell off

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Kelpie, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Kelpie

    Kelpie Guest

    If your looking for super cheap computer bits then you might want to
    check out the PC Company sell-off in their Hamilton warehouse on
    Kahikitea Drive (just past the railroad tracks on the hospital side).

    I went there on sunday and had a bit of a gander, prices are 25-50%
    cheaper then the standard bargain places like Paradigm PCs and still
    better than anything pricespy.co.nz has going.

    I got myself a brand new video card for $70 (the best pricespy.co.nz had
    an equivalent for $75 and Paradigm was $105 for an equivalent). A
    friend of mine got a new 17" monitor for $150, even the crappiest 17"
    usually goes for at least $190. The selection is a bit "whatever they
    decided to put out on the day", but the prices are a once in a decade
    kind of thing.

    I dont know how long this is going for so it would pay to have a look
    soon if your interested.

    --
    Kelpie

    Kelpie, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Kelpie

    Wombus Guest

    "Kelpie" <dontbother@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > If your looking for super cheap computer bits then you might want to
    > check out the PC Company sell-off in their Hamilton warehouse on
    > Kahikitea Drive (just past the railroad tracks on the hospital side).
    >
    > I went there on sunday and had a bit of a gander, prices are 25-50%
    > cheaper then the standard bargain places like Paradigm PCs and still
    > better than anything pricespy.co.nz has going.
    >
    > I got myself a brand new video card for $70 (the best pricespy.co.nz had
    > an equivalent for $75 and Paradigm was $105 for an equivalent). A
    > friend of mine got a new 17" monitor for $150, even the crappiest 17"
    > usually goes for at least $190. The selection is a bit "whatever they
    > decided to put out on the day", but the prices are a once in a decade
    > kind of thing.
    >
    > I dont know how long this is going for so it would pay to have a look
    > soon if your interested.

    I went and it was worth a look, but i was not blown away by prices.. a lot
    of old stock mostly worth about what they were asking although one or two
    items i noticed were damn exspensive.... The video card you mention i saw
    were just in a anti static bag, with no CD or packaging... so for a
    GF4-MX440 the $70 you spent was about what it is worth but not an amazing
    bargain.

    Other items of interest
    Epson Stylus C43UX Inkjet Printer $100 ($10 cheaper than price spy)
    16x DVD Rom (forgot brand but think it was Aopen) $90 (in a static bag can
    only asume they were brand new and damn exspensive at that price)

    again worth a look if you live in or close to hamilton.. but don't wast your
    petrol if not.

    Wombus

    Wombus, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Kelpie

    Kelpie Guest

    > I went and it was worth a look, but i was not blown away by prices.. a lot
    > of old stock mostly worth about what they were asking although one or two
    > items i noticed were damn exspensive.... The video card you mention i saw
    > were just in a anti static bag, with no CD or packaging... so for a
    > GF4-MX440 the $70 you spent was about what it is worth but not an amazing
    > bargain.

    Actually it was fully boxed with CD and Manual, not that it makes much
    difference anyway. I always get the latest drivers right off the net
    straight away.

    --
    Kelpie

    Kelpie, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Kelpie

    samg Guest

    Kelpie <dontbother@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:bmvof6$h0l$:

    > If your looking for super cheap computer bits then you might want to
    > check out the PC Company sell-off in their Hamilton warehouse on
    > Kahikitea Drive (just past the railroad tracks on the hospital side).
    >
    > I went there on sunday and had a bit of a gander, prices are 25-50%
    > cheaper then the standard bargain places like Paradigm PCs and still
    > better than anything pricespy.co.nz has going.
    >
    > I got myself a brand new video card for $70 (the best pricespy.co.nz

    had
    > an equivalent for $75 and Paradigm was $105 for an equivalent). A
    > friend of mine got a new 17" monitor for $150, even the crappiest 17"
    > usually goes for at least $190. The selection is a bit "whatever they
    > decided to put out on the day", but the prices are a once in a decade
    > kind of thing.
    >
    > I dont know how long this is going for so it would pay to have a look
    > soon if your interested.

    No warranty tho so its not that much cheaper.

    samg, Oct 20, 2003
  5. Kelpie

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "samg" <> wrote in message
    > Kelpie <dontbother@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:bmvof6$h0l$:
    >
    > > If your looking for super cheap computer bits then you might want to
    > > check out the PC Company sell-off in their Hamilton warehouse on
    > > Kahikitea Drive (just past the railroad tracks on the hospital side).
    > >
    > > I went there on sunday and had a bit of a gander, prices are 25-50%
    > > cheaper then the standard bargain places like Paradigm PCs and still
    > > better than anything pricespy.co.nz has going.
    > >
    > > I got myself a brand new video card for $70 (the best pricespy.co.nz

    > had
    > > an equivalent for $75 and Paradigm was $105 for an equivalent). A
    > > friend of mine got a new 17" monitor for $150, even the crappiest 17"
    > > usually goes for at least $190. The selection is a bit "whatever they
    > > decided to put out on the day", but the prices are a once in a decade
    > > kind of thing.
    > >
    > > I dont know how long this is going for so it would pay to have a look
    > > soon if your interested.
    > >

    > No warranty tho so its not that much cheaper.

    And while it's new, how old is what's left over from what was most likely a
    bulk orders of some of the stuff - video cards, 17" monitors etc etc dating
    back to before 2002? The stuff wasn't just bought in as the PCs were
    ordered.
    When in business the PC Co. offered their own reliable warranty. Some low
    life outfits offer none of their own, but Taiwan warranty that comes with
    the products, which means big hassles if anything goes wrong. Low prices
    from some low life outfits isn't everything.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 20, 2003

  6. >
    > No warranty tho so its not that much cheaper.

    Went past the Whangarei shop today and found it calls itself PC Factory
    now (bought out?!?) - I had intended to go in and have a looksee but that
    very warranty consideration stopped me from even going in. Not going to
    buy a several-hundred-dollar flatscreen and find I have no comeback if it
    sucks the kumara.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Kelpie

    Kelpie Guest

    > No warranty tho so its not that much cheaper.

    Good point, although if anything is broken straight out of the box (or
    in the first two days) then you can take it back.

    Im not saying that this PC Company sell-off is the best thing since
    sliced bread. What I am saying is if your in the area and perhaps
    looking for some computer bits its certainly worth having a look at what
    they have.

    In my experience everything except monitors either goes and lasts for
    years or craps out almost right away. Still, buyer beware.

    --
    Kelpie

    Kelpie, Oct 20, 2003
  8. Kelpie

    steve Guest

    Kelpie allegedly said:

    > I dont know how long this is going for so it would pay to have a look
    > soon if your interested.
    >
    > --
    > Kelpie

    I'm told that the money thus raised/earned will (in part?) help pay the
    holiday pay due to (former) employees of the PC Company.

    --
    defenestrate: The act of replacing Windows on your PC with some other
    operating system.

    steve, Oct 21, 2003
  9. Kelpie

    samg Guest

    steve <> wrote in news:Xi2lb.2146$ws.210240
    @news02.tsnz.net:

    > Kelpie allegedly said:
    >
    >> I dont know how long this is going for so it would pay to have a look
    >> soon if your interested.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kelpie

    > I'm told that the money thus raised/earned will (in part?) help pay the
    > holiday pay due to (former) employees of the PC Company.

    word is that he already had the money set aside to pay off employees when
    they closed but it dissapeared when he got the loan to buy the debenture.
    Strange that.

    samg, Oct 21, 2003
  10. Re: Hardware reliability (was Re: PC Company computer bits sell off)

    In article <bn1hg4$2sk$>,
    Kelpie <dontbother@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >In my experience everything except monitors either goes and lasts for
    >years or craps out almost right away.

    Except hard drives. They can fail at any time, and usually do.

    I have personally suffered 4 hard drive failures in the last 5
    years--that's not counting ones that have afflicted my clients. I had a
    4GB drive develop clicking noises and bad sectors when the machine was 2
    and a half years old. Its 30GB replacement developed bad sectors after
    just 2 months! (Naturally, that was swapped under warranty.)

    I did some scans on hard drives for a client last year, and found 3
    drives with bad sectors on them. We powered down one machine to replace
    one of these drives, and when we turned it back on--wouldn't you know
    it, another drive (that had previously passed my bad-sector tests)
    refused to spin up. It was also the one drive that wasn't being mirrored
    onto another one via rsync. It took nearly a week to get all 14GB of
    data back off tape.

    These days, I try to remember to do scans for bad sectors on all hard
    drives about every couple of months.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 22, 2003
  11. Kelpie

    Joe Bloggs Guest

    Just beware that if buying a new box, it is still the same cheap bits that
    put them out of the market in the first place.

    Joe Bloggs, Oct 22, 2003
  12. Kelpie

    Robyn Nunn Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:31:48 +1300, Kelpie <dontbother@127.0.0.1>
    wrote:

    >If your looking for super cheap computer bits then you might want to
    >check out the PC Company sell-off in their Hamilton warehouse on
    >Kahikitea Drive (just past the railroad tracks on the hospital side).
    >
    >I went there on sunday and had a bit of a gander, prices are 25-50%
    >cheaper then the standard bargain places like Paradigm PCs and still
    >better than anything pricespy.co.nz has going.
    >
    >I got myself a brand new video card for $70 (the best pricespy.co.nz had
    >an equivalent for $75 and Paradigm was $105 for an equivalent). A
    >friend of mine got a new 17" monitor for $150, even the crappiest 17"
    >usually goes for at least $190. The selection is a bit "whatever they
    >decided to put out on the day", but the prices are a once in a decade
    >kind of thing.
    >
    >I dont know how long this is going for so it would pay to have a look
    >soon if your interested.
    >
    >--
    >Kelpie

    Picked up a price list from there.

    Somethings are good (rounded 45cm IDE cables at $5) others not so good
    ($50 or a firewire card - they sell for $42 at DSE).

    A mixed bag really. The motherboards all look a little suspect - some
    in boxes but no manuals or bits. Do they have the equivalent of OEM
    packaging for bulk motherboard purchasers? (which might explain why so
    many motherboards are only wrapped in bubblewrap with some foam)

    Interesting to note that they have a box of new Win95 installations
    for $2 each.

    Robyn Nunn, Oct 23, 2003