    He puts all correct. When he switches off and later restarts the pc he find
    its defaulted back to 1st Jan 2000.
    Any advice please?

    John Smith, Oct 26, 2010

  2. John Smith

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:20:19 +0100, John Smith wrote:

    > Friend has a problem with his pc date/time/clock setting. He puts all
    > correct. When he switches off and later restarts the pc he find its
    > defaulted back to 1st Jan 2000.
    > Any advice please?

    May need a new CMOS battery. Usually a CR2032

    Meat Plow, Oct 26, 2010

  3. John Smith

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:ia7d67$2ts$ "John Smith"
    <> wrote:

    > Friend has a problem with his pc date/time/clock setting.
    > He puts all correct. When he switches off and later restarts the pc he
    > find its defaulted back to 1st Jan 2000.
    > Any advice please?

    Replace the battery on the motherboard.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Oct 26, 2010
  4. Bert Hyman wrote:

    > "John Smith" wrote:
    >> Friend has a problem with his pc date/time/clock setting. He puts all
    >> correct. When he switches off and later restarts the pc he find its
    >> defaulted back to 1st Jan 2000. Any advice please?

    > Replace the battery on the motherboard.

    "Battery? There's a battery?"

    ... is the response I've gotten many times in the past when I've given
    the same answer to the same question. In fact, just last month from my
    brother (250 miles away).

    Me: "Yes, on the motherboard and it's probably a CR2032."
    Bro: "Oh. I'll take it to the computer store."
    Me: "And you'll get it back in a week, and spend $50.00."

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 26, 2010
  5. John Smith

    chuckcar Guest

    Barry OGrady <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:54:47 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Bert Hyman wrote:

    >>> Replace the battery on the motherboard.

    >>"Battery? There's a battery?"
    >>
    >>.. is the response I've gotten many times in the past when I've given
    >>the same answer to the same question. In fact, just last month from my
    >>brother (250 miles away).
    >>
    >>Me: "Yes, on the motherboard and it's probably a CR2032."
    >>Bro: "Oh. I'll take it to the computer store."
    >>Me: "And you'll get it back in a week, and spend $50.00."
    >>
    >>--
    >> -bts
    >> -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul

    > Front wheels or back wheels?

    No car with a soul has front wheel drive.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 27, 2010
  6. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "~BD~" wrote in message news:...

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > In news:ia7d67$2ts$ "John Smith"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Friend has a problem with his pc date/time/clock setting.
    >> He puts all correct. When he switches off and later restarts the pc he
    >> find its defaulted back to 1st Jan 2000.
    >> Any advice please?

    > Replace the battery on the motherboard.
    >

    >IAWTP

    >Look here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

    ----------------------------------
    TVM for all the info..cmos changing coming up :)

    John Smith, Oct 27, 2010
  7. John Smith

    Buffalo Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > Friend has a problem with his pc date/time/clock setting.
    > He puts all correct. When he switches off and later restarts the pc
    > he find its defaulted back to 1st Jan 2000.
    > Any advice please?

    As others stated, it is most likely the mb battery which is usually only a
    couple of dollars and can be found in many stores such as Target, WalMart,
    etc. It is usually a simple and easy procedure to replace it.
    Have your friend (or you) get a copy of the mb manual and it will usually
    tell you where the battery is and how to change it.
    It is usually straight-forward with no special instruction needed.
    PS: Try to keep your finger oils off the battery when you replace it.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Oct 27, 2010
  8. John Smith <> bemoaned:

    > Friend has a problem with his pc date/time/clock setting.
    > He puts all correct. When he switches off and later restarts
    > the pc he find its defaulted back to 1st Jan 2000.
    > Any advice please?

    You should find "friends" who have more sense than to
    whine about their problems to you all the time! They'll
    just wear you out, drink your beer and bum rides to the
    doctor all the time; meanwhile, all your real friends,
    and potential dates will judge you guilty by association
    and you will never know the joy to have sex with girls.

    or

    You could grow a mullet haircut, a goatee and get some
    polyester clothes... then everybody play dress up...

    LIKE IT *IS* 01JAN2000! (By-the-by, happy new year on that one)

    or

    You must change the CMOS battery and then
    goto the update site for the PC to make
    sure the time zone software is correct.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and EVERYBODY knows
    that the "U" in "UFO" stands for "WTF"!

    Repent! The end is near... Or, good luck if there's an apocalypse.

    white ladies who wanna have some fun before the axis flips over.)

    Bucky Breeder, Oct 27, 2010