    Thanks..
    Kevin T
    , Oct 2, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I am looking for ideas, Ineed a better means of keeping time on an old PC
    > which logs data to a file. I guess the solution is a Clock Crd but these seem
    > pretty expensive. It doesn't have to be any more accurate than a cheap watch,
    > just a bit better than a cheap PC.

    If it's on a network, or the internet, there are many free programs
    available which will synchronize the clock on your computer with another
    server. Googling NTP will start you off.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Bob Guest

    Suggest you try atomic clock sync

    http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/

    Bob, Oct 2, 2005
  4. Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:02:55 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I am looking for ideas, Ineed a better means of keeping time on an old PC
    >> which logs data to a file. I guess the solution is a Clock Crd but these seem
    >> pretty expensive. It doesn't have to be any more accurate than a cheap watch,
    >> just a bit better than a cheap PC.

    >If it's on a network, or the internet, there are many free programs
    >available which will synchronize the clock on your computer with another
    >server. Googling NTP will start you off.
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    Thanks Nicholas, I should have said, it is on a network, and I do run About Time which
    acts as a client and server, but I want the whole thing to run unattended for up to a week
    without me having to connect to the internet.
    Regards, Kevin T
    , Oct 2, 2005
  5. RadioNutter Guest

    If time accuracy is important, buy a USB gps they are cheap these days,
    under $100
    plug it in and put the gps near a window, or out side, there is software on
    the net to read the GPS and set the PC clock.
    http://www.efrontier.co.nz/estore/index.php?currency=NZD

    Good luck

    Mike

    RadioNutter, Oct 2, 2005
  6. XP Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:55:05 +1300, wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >I am looking for ideas, Ineed a better means of keeping time on an old PC
    >which logs data to a file. I guess the solution is a Clock Crd but these seem
    >pretty expensive. It doesn't have to be any more accurate than a cheap watch,
    > just a bit better than a cheap PC.
    >Thanks..
    >Kevin T

    Atomic clock its Free..

    Can set time on boot up..
    XP, Oct 2, 2005
  7. XP Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:21:44 +1300, wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:02:55 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I am looking for ideas, Ineed a better means of keeping time on an old PC
    >>> which logs data to a file. I guess the solution is a Clock Crd but these seem
    >>> pretty expensive. It doesn't have to be any more accurate than a cheap watch,
    >>> just a bit better than a cheap PC.

    >>If it's on a network, or the internet, there are many free programs
    >>available which will synchronize the clock on your computer with another
    >>server. Googling NTP will start you off.
    >>Cheers,
    >>Nicholas Sherlock

    >Thanks Nicholas, I should have said, it is on a network, and I do run About Time which
    >acts as a client and server, but I want the whole thing to run unattended for up to a week
    >without me having to connect to the internet.
    >Regards, Kevin T

    Does this Old PC have a pug in clock IC, if it does it can be replaced with a
    Dallas clock chip, has a 10 year battery life and perfect time keeping, I got
    mine many years back from AWA at $36.
    XP, Oct 2, 2005
  8. XP Guest

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=dallas clock ic&meta=

    http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=76646
    XP, Oct 2, 2005
  9. JohnO Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:02:55 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >> I am looking for ideas, Ineed a better means of keeping time on an old PC
    > >> which logs data to a file. I guess the solution is a Clock Crd but these seem
    > >> pretty expensive. It doesn't have to be any more accurate than a cheap watch,
    > >> just a bit better than a cheap PC.

    > >If it's on a network, or the internet, there are many free programs
    > >available which will synchronize the clock on your computer with another
    > >server. Googling NTP will start you off.
    > >Cheers,
    > >Nicholas Sherlock

    > Thanks Nicholas, I should have said, it is on a network, and I do run About Time which
    > acts as a client and server, but I want the whole thing to run unattended for up to a week
    > without me having to connect to the internet.
    > Regards, Kevin T

    If its on a network then you don't need to attend to connect it!
    Regardless, you should be able to schedule the PC to automatically
    connect to the net, time sync and disconnect on a daily basis, or more
    often if required.
    JohnO, Oct 3, 2005
  10. wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:02:55 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am looking for ideas, Ineed a better means of keeping time on an old PC
    >>>which logs data to a file. I guess the solution is a Clock Crd but these seem
    >>>pretty expensive. It doesn't have to be any more accurate than a cheap watch,
    >>> just a bit better than a cheap PC.

    >>If it's on a network, or the internet, there are many free programs
    >>available which will synchronize the clock on your computer with another
    >>server. Googling NTP will start you off.
    >>Cheers,
    >>Nicholas Sherlock

    > Thanks Nicholas, I should have said, it is on a network, and I do run About Time which
    > acts as a client and server, but I want the whole thing to run unattended for up to a week
    > without me having to connect to the internet.

    Easy: Synchronize against another computer on the network which keeps
    better time.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 3, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:02:55 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I am looking for ideas, Ineed a better means of keeping time on an old PC
    >>> which logs data to a file. I guess the solution is a Clock Crd but these
    >>> seem pretty expensive. It doesn't have to be any more accurate than a cheap
    >>> watch, just a bit better than a cheap PC.

    >>If it's on a network, or the internet, there are many free programs
    >>available which will synchronize the clock on your computer with another
    >>server. Googling NTP will start you off.

    >Thanks Nicholas, I should have said, it is on a network, and I do run About
    >Time which acts as a client and server, but I want the whole thing to run unattended
    >for up to a week without me having to connect to the internet.

    xntpd maintains a drift file which tries to determine to a first
    approximation the discrepancy between what you clock thinks is the
    length of a second and its actual length. After it has been running for
    a few days with Internet access, it should have a good enough idea of
    the drift that you should be able to achieve better accuracy with xntpd
    running, even without Internet access for days on end, than you would
    achieve without xntpd.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 3, 2005
  12. Guest

    Thanks guys, lots of ideas to chase up.
    I didn't know a replacement clock chip was an option, it would be the best of all.
    The USB GPS idea sounds like the ultimate, but until the rest of my system is proven
    I might try following the links about ntpd software which uses a drift file.
    Thanks, Kevin T
    , Oct 3, 2005
  13. Richard Guest

    wrote:

    > Thanks Nicholas, I should have said, it is on a network, and I do run About Time which
    > acts as a client and server, but I want the whole thing to run unattended for up to a week
    > without me having to connect to the internet.
    > Regards, Kevin T

    GPS reciever then.
    Richard, Oct 3, 2005
  14. XP Guest

    On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 23:41:46 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Nicholas, I should have said, it is on a network, and I do run About Time which
    >> acts as a client and server, but I want the whole thing to run unattended for up to a week
    >> without me having to connect to the internet.
    >> Regards, Kevin T

    >GPS reciever then.

    Way Way ever kill when a Dallas clock chip at $36 will do the job.
    XP, Oct 3, 2005
  15. JohnO Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 23:41:46 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Thanks Nicholas, I should have said, it is on a network, and I do run About Time which
    > >> acts as a client and server, but I want the whole thing to run unattended for up to a week
    > >> without me having to connect to the internet.
    > >> Regards, Kevin T

    > >GPS reciever then.

    > Way Way ever kill when a Dallas clock chip at $36 will do the job.

    Maybe he doesn't want to open up his PC and mess with it.
    JohnO, Oct 4, 2005
  16. Richard Guest

    XP wrote:

    > Way Way ever kill when a Dallas clock chip at $36 will do the job.

    Assuming its a desktop PC

    Assuming the motherboard is so old it has one.
    Richard, Oct 4, 2005
  17. XP Guest

    On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:45:58 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >
    >> Way Way ever kill when a Dallas clock chip at $36 will do the job.

    >Assuming its a desktop PC
    >
    >Assuming the motherboard is so old it has one.

    And you are assuming it has USB ports..
    XP, Oct 4, 2005
  18. Richard Guest

    XP wrote:

    >>Assuming its a desktop PC
    >>
    >>Assuming the motherboard is so old it has one.

    > And you are assuming it has USB ports..

    Much safer assupmtion then that its so old that it has a socketed chip - last
    time I saw one of those was on a socket 5 or 7 board
    Richard, Oct 4, 2005