    Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!

    Cheers
    Gaz

    gary, Dec 15, 2004

  2. gary

    SgtMinor Guest

    gary wrote:
    > Hi
    > i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside with a
    > vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
    > Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that gets
    > rid of it all!, where does it go!
    > My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear dust etc
    > from! Does the pc do the same?
    > Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gaz

    Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable amount
    of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of the system's
    components. Use compressed air, available at every computer store.

    Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
    computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.

    SgtMinor, Dec 15, 2004

  3. gary

    Billh Guest

    Canned air would be best for blowing out the dust. I would not vacum but
    have reversed the flow and use the vac to blow out the case when no canned
    air was handy.

    Yes pc's accumulate dust internally tons of it depending on how long they
    are left on and the amount of dust in the room.

    Billh, Dec 15, 2004
  4. SgtMinor wrote:

    > gary wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside
    >> with a
    >> vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
    >> Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that
    >> gets
    >> rid of it all!, where does it go!
    >> My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear
    >> dust etc
    >> from! Does the pc do the same?
    >> Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Gaz
    >>

    > Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable amount
    > of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of the system's
    > components. Use compressed air, available at every computer store.
    >
    > Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
    > computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.

    I've heard this theory, but before I had heard it I used a small vacuum
    on a bunch of computers with no ill effect. Since I hadn't encountered
    any problems, I kept on using the vac with a long, thin plastic
    attachment I call my anteater. So far not one problem.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 15, 2004
  5. gary

    Noel Paton Guest

    If you need to clean the dust-bunnies out of the inside of a PC (and it's a
    good thing to do once a year), then you need to use compressed air.
    DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner - they create too much static, and domestic
    varieties are too big anyhow.
    Go to your local PC Store, and get a canister of compressed air (like an
    aerosol of hairspray/fly-killer), and use that - starting with the CPU, and
    the PSU, and then working to the more exposed bits.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm

    Noel Paton, Dec 15, 2004
  6. gary

    SgtMinor Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > SgtMinor wrote:
    >
    >> gary wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>> i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside
    >>> with a
    >>> vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
    >>> Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that
    >>> gets
    >>> rid of it all!, where does it go!
    >>> My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear
    >>> dust etc
    >>> from! Does the pc do the same?
    >>> Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Gaz
    >>>

    >> Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable amount
    >> of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of the system's
    >> components. Use compressed air, available at every computer store.
    >>
    >> Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
    >> computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.

    > I've heard this theory, but before I had heard it I used a small vacuum
    > on a bunch of computers with no ill effect. Since I hadn't encountered
    > any problems, I kept on using the vac with a long, thin plastic
    > attachment I call my anteater. So far not one problem.

    It's always nice to have an ant-free computer. ;-)

    SgtMinor, Dec 15, 2004
  7. gary

    gpierre Guest

    "Noel Paton" <> wrote in message
    > If you need to clean the dust-bunnies out of the inside of a PC (and it's

    > good thing to do once a year), then you need to use compressed air.
    > DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner - they create too much static, and domestic
    > varieties are too big anyhow.
    > Go to your local PC Store, and get a canister of compressed air (like an
    > aerosol of hairspray/fly-killer), and use that - starting with the CPU,

    and
    > the PSU, and then working to the more exposed bits.
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    Too late I am ground down already; why did you not warn me sooner?

    gpierre, Dec 15, 2004
  8. gary

    WormWood Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >> SgtMinor wrote:

    >>> Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable
    >>> amount of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of
    >>> the system's components. Use compressed air, available at every
    >>> computer store.
    >>>
    >>> Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
    >>> computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.

    >> I've heard this theory, but before I had heard it I used a small
    >> vacuum on a bunch of computers with no ill effect. Since I hadn't
    >> encountered any problems, I kept on using the vac with a long, thin
    >> plastic attachment I call my anteater. So far not one problem.

    > It's always nice to have an ant-free computer. ;-)

    So it is :) I once had a jumper - free computer because the "Great
    Inept One" used the nozzle on a vacuum cleaner to suck up little
    treasures from the box. I had to pick up my lower jaw from the floor.

    WormWood, Dec 15, 2004
  9. WormWood wrote:

    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    >>It's always nice to have an ant-free computer. ;-)

    > So it is :) I once had a jumper - free computer because the "Great
    > Inept One" used the nozzle on a vacuum cleaner to suck up little
    > treasures from the box. I had to pick up my lower jaw from the floor.

    I did have a girl bring in a machine that the floppy no longer worked.
    She told me that it was working perfectly and then she cleaned it with
    compressed air. "Blew the shit out of it" she said. Apparently didn't
    know when to let up with the blowjob.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 15, 2004
  10. gary

    WormWood Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > WormWood wrote:
    >
    >> "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >>>It's always nice to have an ant-free computer. ;-)

    >> So it is :) I once had a jumper - free computer because the "Great
    >> Inept One" used the nozzle on a vacuum cleaner to suck up little
    >> treasures from the box. I had to pick up my lower jaw from the floor.

    > I did have a girl bring in a machine that the floppy no longer worked.
    > She told me that it was working perfectly and then she cleaned it with
    > compressed air. "Blew the shit out of it" she said. Apparently didn't
    > know when to let up with the blowjob.

    Interesting. Could you send her over to me?

    WormWood, Dec 15, 2004
  11. gary

    SgtMinor Guest

    <snip>

    > So it is :) I once had a jumper - free computer because the "Great
    > Inept One" used the nozzle on a vacuum cleaner to suck up little
    > treasures from the box. I had to pick up my lower jaw from the floor.

    Jumpers are for sissies.

    SgtMinor, Dec 16, 2004
  12. gary

    WormWood Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> So it is :) I once had a jumper - free computer because the "Great
    >> Inept One" used the nozzle on a vacuum cleaner to suck up little
    >> treasures from the box. I had to pick up my lower jaw from the floor.
    >>

    > Jumpers are for sissies.

    I am visualizing a sissie walking along, a necklace of jumpers swinging
    to and fro...

    WormWood, Dec 16, 2004
  13. On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:42:36 -0500, SgtMinor
    <> wrote:

    >gary wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside with a
    >> vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
    >> Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that gets
    >> rid of it all!, where does it go!
    >> My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear dust etc
    >> from! Does the pc do the same?
    >> Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Gaz
    >>

    >Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable amount
    >of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of the system's
    >components. Use compressed air, available at every computer store.
    >
    >Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
    >computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.

    A couple of months ago I passed by the computer section in Woolworths
    (Australian not US) and noticed they had cans of compressed air on the
    shelf so checked out the posted price **$19.95**. Almost shit myself.
    You are right the compressed air is the way to go (have my own
    compressor thank God)

    Star@*.*.invalid, Dec 16, 2004
  14. gary

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <Star@*.*.invalid> wrote in message
    | On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:42:36 -0500, SgtMinor
    | <> wrote:
    |
    | >gary wrote:
    | >> Hi
    | >> i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside
    with a
    | >> vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
    | >> Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that
    gets
    | >> rid of it all!, where does it go!
    | >> My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear dust
    etc
    | >> from! Does the pc do the same?
    | >> Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
    | >>
    | >> Cheers
    | >> Gaz
    | >>

    | >Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable amount
    | >of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of the system's
    | >components. Use compressed air, available at every computer store.
    | >
    | >Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
    | >computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.
    |
    | A couple of months ago I passed by the computer section in Woolworths
    | (Australian not US) and noticed they had cans of compressed air on the
    | shelf so checked out the posted price **$19.95**. Almost shit myself.
    | You are right the compressed air is the way to go (have my own
    | compressor thank God)

    Thank God my *boss* has to pay for the stuff, not me <g>! I quit worrying
    too much 'bout his budget a long time ago.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 16, 2004
  15. gary

    SgtMinor Guest

    Star@*.*.invalid wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:42:36 -0500, SgtMinor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>gary wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside with a
    >>> vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
    >>> Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that gets
    >>> rid of it all!, where does it go!
    >>> My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear dust etc
    >>> from! Does the pc do the same?
    >>> Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Gaz
    >>>

    >>Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable amount
    >>of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of the system's
    >>components. Use compressed air, available at every computer store.
    >>
    >>Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
    >>computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.

    > A couple of months ago I passed by the computer section in Woolworths
    > (Australian not US) and noticed they had cans of compressed air on the
    > shelf so checked out the posted price **$19.95**. Almost shit myself.
    > You are right the compressed air is the way to go (have my own
    > compressor thank God)

    An air compressor may work OK, but make sure that no oil or water is
    sprayed out along with the air.

    The Micro Center computer store in my neighborhood sells a 3-pack of
    compressed air (10 oz or 284 g each) for under $10 US.

    --
    "Gas is real cheap here too."

    SgtMinor, Dec 16, 2004
  16. In article <>
    Star@*.*.invalid wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:42:36 -0500, SgtMinor
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>gary wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside with a
    >>> vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
    >>> Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that gets
    >>> rid of it all!, where does it go!
    >>> My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear dust etc
    >>> from! Does the pc do the same?
    >>> Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Gaz
    >>>

    >>Never use a vacumm cleaner. The hose end can get a considerable amount
    >>of static electricity built up on it and it can fry some of the system's
    >>components. Use compressed air, available at every computer store.
    >>
    >>Look at the fans, power supply intake slots and the front of the
    >>computer where air enters, for dust bunnies.

    >A couple of months ago I passed by the computer section in Woolworths
    >(Australian not US) and noticed they had cans of compressed air on the
    >shelf so checked out the posted price **$19.95**. Almost shit myself.
    >You are right the compressed air is the way to go (have my own
    >compressor thank God)

    So what if he is right the compressed air is the way to go? What are
    you?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "You sound angry, Kenny. Just like all the other soc.turds that Lady
    Chatterly has bootfux0red." -- Daedalus

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 16, 2004
  17. gary

    gary Guest

    Hey there!
    Cheers, i hear that there's parts inside that are dangerous,
    even when unplugged, stuff i shouldn't touch!
    Does dust build up, impare the performance!, do parts internal ware out??
    Cheers!
    Gaz

    gary, Dec 16, 2004
  18. gary

    SgtMinor Guest

    gary wrote:
    > Hey there!
    > Cheers, i hear that there's parts inside that are dangerous,
    > even when unplugged, stuff i shouldn't touch!
    > Does dust build up, impare the performance!, do parts internal ware out??
    > Cheers!
    > Gaz

    Ask the person who told you that to point out the dangerous parts to
    you. On the whole you are more likely to do damage to the computer than
    it will do damage to you. You can cut yourself on sharp edges, but
    there aren't any dangerous currents on the motherboard. You'll find
    high voltage inside the power supply, inside the monitor case, and
    inside the laser printer.

    Only mechanical parts will "wear out" and break, mostly due to stress.
    Electronic components will eventually fail, especially when they go
    through cycles of heat and cold.

    SgtMinor, Dec 16, 2004
  19. I use an air compresser with a special knob<dad's invention> to control
    the air flow. You would need to worry about water in the tanks of the air
    compresser or that the air flow is too strong. I wouldn't suggest this
    unless you know what you are doing. Canned air is too expensive for me.

    "gary" <> chiseled in stone, the following
    words news:cpqaej$sv2$:

    @}-}-------Rosee, Dec 17, 2004
  20. gary

    Guest

    Answers at bottom.

    gary wrote:

    > Hey there!
    > Cheers, i hear that there's parts inside that are dangerous,
    > even when unplugged, stuff i shouldn't touch!
    > Does dust build up, impare the performance!, do parts internal ware out??
    > Cheers!
    > Gaz
    > Noel Paton <> wrote in message
    > > If you need to clean the dust-bunnies out of the inside of a PC (and it's

    > > good thing to do once a year), then you need to use compressed air.
    > > DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner - they create too much static, and domestic
    > > varieties are too big anyhow.
    > > Go to your local PC Store, and get a canister of compressed air (like an
    > > aerosol of hairspray/fly-killer), and use that - starting with the CPU,

    > and
    > > the PSU, and then working to the more exposed bits.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >
    > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm
    > >
    > > "gary" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > > i need to know how people clean up their pc's, should i go inside

    > with
    > > > vacuum to get rid of dust?, is this safe?
    > > > Do pc's accumulate dust internally, or is there a fan internally that

    > gets
    > > > rid of it all!, where does it go!
    > > > My hifi has vents in the side that the internal fan tries to clear dust
    > > > etc
    > > > from! Does the pc do the same?
    > > > Whats the best way to clean up your pc, physically!!
    > > >
    > > > Cheers
    > > > Gaz

    No parts in there that will hurt you when machine is unplugged.
    Dust can hurt a machine because too much dust will act as a blanket
    causing electronics to get overheated, and heat is what kills
    electronics.
    To reduce chances if static electricity take off your shoes and put hand
    on a metal part (I use outside of power supply) then brush or vacuum or
    blow. For minor dust I often just take a deep breath and blow. For
    lots of dust vacuum (but machine will have to be quite old in in a
    terrible place for that to build up). If you need to clean lots of
    machines you can use a small rubber drain hose which will have a large
    end to fit on vacuum hose end and small end for getting inside machines.

    Been cleaning machines for 20 years with no problems (other than mouse
    droppings).

    LB

    , Dec 17, 2004