pc card vs. pci express

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=, May 1, 2006.

  1. How can I use my wireless air card with my now laptop, which came configured
    for pci express, but not pc card?

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=, May 1, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    If you new Laptop came with the NewCard (PCI-ex) and have regular PCMCIA
    Slot you would have to buy a New Wireless Card.
    However I am not sure that you can find Wireless PCI-ex on the open market.
    You probably have USB2 port as well so you can get an 802.11g USB2 Wireless
    unit.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, May 1, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    Kevin Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > If you new Laptop came with the NewCard (PCI-ex) and have regular PCMCIA
    > Slot you would have to buy a New Wireless Card.
    > However I am not sure that you can find Wireless PCI-ex on the open
    > market. You probably have USB2 port as well so you can get an 802.11g
    > USB2 Wireless unit.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    >> How can I use my wireless air card with my now laptop, which came
    >> configured
    >> for pci express, but not pc card?

    Most new laptops come with built-in wireless. Yours did not? PCIe or PCI
    Express is for video, not wireless.

    Kevin, May 1, 2006
  4. Hi
    It is true that that many Video card come now in PCI-ex. However PCI-ex is
    just a faster Bus than the "old" regular PCI and was designed as a regular
    Bus that can be used with Video as well as any other PCI base card that
    would come in PCI-ex version. Example,
    http://www.mellanox.com/products/infinihost_iii_ex_cards.php
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 1, 2006