PC can't read memory stick

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by James, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. James

    James Guest

    I have a PC, Win98 SE and can't read my Sony 64 or 256 MB Memory Stick Duo
    using a Sony card reader or Centrios card reader, although I can read the 8
    MB Memory Stick Duo, there is nothing wrong with the sticks as all will
    record in the camera and will also down load to the PC while using the
    camera, why can't they be read using a card reader? One other thing, the 64
    & 256 use MagicGate technology and all have to be used with a Memory Stick
    Duo Adapter in the card readers and the transfer is with USB.

    I have tried every where to find a solution, Sony help (less), many forums,
    which admit and are also seeking a solution, although Sony will not admit
    any bug or problem exists, But I have yet to find anyone who can read these
    Memory Stick Duos with a PC using a card reader.

    Thanks
    James

    --

    ---

    James, Dec 7, 2004

  2. James

    Thor Guest

    What kind of 64 and 256MB Memory Stick Duo cards do you have? Is it a Memory
    stick Duo "Pro" by any chance? If so, then your card readers may not support
    that, adapter or not. The "pro" memory sticks are high-speed transfer
    capable, and support much higher capacities than the older Memory Stick and
    Memory stick Duo. Older memory card readers that don't explicitly support
    "Pro", may not work with them.

    Thor, Dec 7, 2004

  3. James

    Jerry G. Guest

    There are several criteria's that have to be met.

    The memory reader has to be compatible to the memory stick you want to read.
    The proper drivers for your reader must be installed for Win98. These
    drivers do not exist in Win98 by default, because Win98 is too old.

    If you visit the manufacture's web site for your reader, you can then check
    to see if they can supply the drivers for Win98.

    By default XP would most likely have the reader drivers built in, and also
    the manufacture would be distributing the XP drivers.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Dec 7, 2004
  4. James

    James Guest

    The 256 is white, Memory Stick PRO Duo with MagicGate, the other is Blue,
    Memory Stick Duo with MagicGate, the one that can be read is a Memory Stick
    Duo 8MB without MagicGate, this one can be read.

    Thanks for any info, where can I get a card reader that will read all three?

    Again Thanks
    James

    --

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > What kind of 64 and 256MB Memory Stick Duo cards do you have? Is it a

    Memory
    > stick Duo "Pro" by any chance? If so, then your card readers may not

    support
    > that, adapter or not. The "pro" memory sticks are high-speed transfer
    > capable, and support much higher capacities than the older Memory Stick

    and
    > Memory stick Duo. Older memory card readers that don't explicitly support
    > "Pro", may not work with them.
    >

    > "James" <*> wrote in message
    > >I have a PC, Win98 SE and can't read my Sony 64 or 256 MB Memory Stick

    Duo
    > > using a Sony card reader or Centrios card reader, although I can read

    the
    > > 8
    > > MB Memory Stick Duo, there is nothing wrong with the sticks as all will
    > > record in the camera and will also down load to the PC while using the
    > > camera, why can't they be read using a card reader? One other thing,

    the
    > > 64
    > > & 256 use MagicGate technology and all have to be used with a Memory

    Stick
    > > Duo Adapter in the card readers and the transfer is with USB.
    > >
    > > I have tried every where to find a solution, Sony help (less), many
    > > forums,
    > > which admit and are also seeking a solution, although Sony will not

    admit
    > > any bug or problem exists, But I have yet to find anyone who can read
    > > these
    > > Memory Stick Duos with a PC using a card reader.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > James
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > ---

    ---

    James, Dec 8, 2004
  5. James

    Thor Guest

    this one looks like it should do the job.

    http://tinyurl.com/5a6pw

    Thor, Dec 8, 2004
  6. James

    James Guest

    Does this mean each memory stick needs different drivers, if that is the
    case then why would my reader read the 8MB Memory Stick Duo and not the 64MB
    Memory Stick Duo, other than size the only difference is that the 64MB stick
    has Magic Gate, It is hard to believe Sony would make a memory stick and not
    have a reader for it.

    Thanks
    James

    --

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > There are several criteria's that have to be met.
    >
    > The memory reader has to be compatible to the memory stick you want to

    read.
    > The proper drivers for your reader must be installed for Win98. These
    > drivers do not exist in Win98 by default, because Win98 is too old.
    >
    > If you visit the manufacture's web site for your reader, you can then

    check
    > to see if they can supply the drivers for Win98.
    >
    > By default XP would most likely have the reader drivers built in, and also
    > the manufacture would be distributing the XP drivers.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jerry G.
    > ======
    >

    > "James" <*> wrote in message
    > I have a PC, Win98 SE and can't read my Sony 64 or 256 MB Memory Stick

    Duo
    > using a Sony card reader or Centrios card reader, although I can read the

    8
    > MB Memory Stick Duo, there is nothing wrong with the sticks as all will
    > record in the camera and will also down load to the PC while using the
    > camera, why can't they be read using a card reader? One other thing, the

    64
    > & 256 use MagicGate technology and all have to be used with a Memory Stick
    > Duo Adapter in the card readers and the transfer is with USB.
    >
    > I have tried every where to find a solution, Sony help (less), many

    forums,
    > which admit and are also seeking a solution, although Sony will not admit
    > any bug or problem exists, But I have yet to find anyone who can read

    these
    > Memory Stick Duos with a PC using a card reader.
    >
    > Thanks
    > James
    >
    > --
    >

    > ---

    ---

    James, Dec 8, 2004
  7. James

    James Guest

    Thanks again, I'll give it a try.
    James

    James, Dec 8, 2004
  8. James

    Thor Guest

    "James" <*> wrote in message
    > Does this mean each memory stick needs different drivers, if that is the
    > case then why would my reader read the 8MB Memory Stick Duo and not the
    > 64MB
    > Memory Stick Duo, other than size the only difference is that the 64MB
    > stick
    > has Magic Gate, It is hard to believe Sony would make a memory stick and
    > not
    > have a reader for it.

    if you have XP it won't need any other drivers. It all falls under XP's
    generic USB removable storage driver. Just plug it in and go.

    Thor, Dec 8, 2004