PC BSOD'ing when going into graphical mode. Ripping my hair out.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fotoobscura, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. fotoobscura

    fotoobscura Guest

    Hi.

    I have a p4 3.6 2gb name-brand asus p5ld2vm motherboard- about one
    month old. I am getting a BSOD when booting into windows. I have
    tried the followiing with no success:

    1) safe mode (all versions). screen comes up, goes bank (with video
    signal) on loading.
    2) last known good config. boots to the windows loading screen and then
    goes black..video signal still being sent to the computer but no video.
    3) and on that note, swapped video cards; still happens
    4) swapped monitor
    5) swapped out memory for known working memory. (also swapped to
    different slots)
    6) turned off a lot of features I had on on the motherboard-
    audio/lan/etc
    6) played around with PNP vs. no pnp in the BIOS
    7) checked the cpu/mobo operating temperature (within spec).
    8) let the computer sit to cool in case it was an hd overheating issue.
    9) removed all cables to the pc but video (dvi) and usb keyboard
    10) tried the db15 analog cable from the monitor to boot into a
    graphical environment

    and some more i'm probably missing....

    There are a few things that are odd:

    1) the bios acts odd and occasionally complains of over voltage or
    overclocking when I boot up after changing *nothing* in the bios.
    2) the bios "forgets" certain settings like "no graphical boot screen"
    but will "remember" the fact that I Have a bios password.

    I have tried the following software:

    1) ubcd 3.3 (will crash when trying to boot into a linux kernel saying
    "there is a serious problem with your bios")- but i've seen that before
    with a good bios.
    2) erd commander (it blue screens when going graphical)
    3) memtest x89 bootable (doesn't boot for some reason)
    4) original win xp cd for a restore. bsod's when I get to where it
    goes graphical.

    So, obviously, the problem is where it goes graphical, YET, I have
    tried other video cards. Are there settings in the bios I can change?
    Is the BIOS just broken? I'm having a *hard* time loading a new bios
    but it seems the most logical thing.

    For those that decode error messages (I don't know how to or know if
    you even can) the bsod partially reads:

    0000007b f78d2524 c0000034

    its the same bsod hex dump every time.
    fotoobscura, Mar 26, 2006

  2. fotoobscura

    John Holmes Guest

    fotoobscura blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I have a p

    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

    --
    Your mother was a brainless druggist who used to pick her nose in disused
    film sets.
    John Holmes, Mar 26, 2006

  3. fotoobscura

    Guest

    On 25 Mar 2006 17:45:43 -0800, "fotoobscura" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >I have a p4 3.6 2gb name-brand asus p5ld2vm motherboard- about one
    >month old. I am getting a BSOD when booting into windows. I have
    >tried the followiing with no success:
    >
    >1) safe mode (all versions). screen comes up, goes bank (with video
    >signal) on loading.
    >2) last known good config. boots to the windows loading screen and then
    >goes black..video signal still being sent to the computer but no video.
    >3) and on that note, swapped video cards; still happens
    >4) swapped monitor
    >5) swapped out memory for known working memory. (also swapped to
    >different slots)
    >6) turned off a lot of features I had on on the motherboard-
    >audio/lan/etc
    >6) played around with PNP vs. no pnp in the BIOS
    >7) checked the cpu/mobo operating temperature (within spec).
    >8) let the computer sit to cool in case it was an hd overheating issue.
    >9) removed all cables to the pc but video (dvi) and usb keyboard
    >10) tried the db15 analog cable from the monitor to boot into a
    >graphical environment
    >
    >and some more i'm probably missing....
    >

    >There are a few things that are odd:
    >
    >1) the bios acts odd and occasionally complains of over voltage or
    >overclocking when I boot up after changing *nothing* in the bios.
    >2) the bios "forgets" certain settings like "no graphical boot screen"
    >but will "remember" the fact that I Have a bios password.
    >
    >I have tried the following software:
    >
    >1) ubcd 3.3 (will crash when trying to boot into a linux kernel saying
    >"there is a serious problem with your bios")- but i've seen that before
    >with a good bios.
    >2) erd commander (it blue screens when going graphical)
    >3) memtest x89 bootable (doesn't boot for some reason)
    >4) original win xp cd for a restore. bsod's when I get to where it
    >goes graphical.
    >
    >So, obviously, the problem is where it goes graphical, YET, I have
    >tried other video cards. Are there settings in the bios I can change?
    >Is the BIOS just broken? I'm having a *hard* time loading a new bios
    >but it seems the most logical thing.
    >
    >For those that decode error messages (I don't know how to or know if
    >you even can) the bsod partially reads:
    >
    >0000007b f78d2524 c0000034
    >
    >its the same bsod hex dump every time.

    buy a video card at Best Buy or somewhere and try that, sounds like a
    video card problem, the one you are also trying is probably bad.

    also might be a bad HD.

    use UBCD to scandisk your drive, run

    chkdsk /r /f
    , Mar 26, 2006
  4. fotoobscura

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    spewed forth:
    > On 25 Mar 2006 17:45:43 -0800, "fotoobscura" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > also might be a bad HD.
    >
    > use UBCD to scandisk your drive, run
    >
    > chkdsk /r /f

    Skip the /f - no need to type it in, since it is implied with /r parameter.

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.
    Toolman Tim, Mar 26, 2006
  5. fotoobscura

    fotoobscura Guest

    Re: PC BSOD'ing when going into graphical mode. Ripping my hair out.

    The problem with that is is that its not the video card(s).

    i'll try a chkdsk if possible.

    thanks
    fotoobscura, Mar 26, 2006
  6. fotoobscura

    Rila Guest

    "fotoobscura" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have a p4 3.6 2gb name-brand asus p5ld2vm motherboard- about one
    > month old. I am getting a BSOD when booting into windows. I have
    > tried the followiing with no success:
    >
    > 1) safe mode (all versions). screen comes up, goes bank (with video
    > signal) on loading.
    > 2) last known good config. boots to the windows loading screen and then
    > goes black..video signal still being sent to the computer but no video.
    > 3) and on that note, swapped video cards; still happens
    > 4) swapped monitor
    > 5) swapped out memory for known working memory. (also swapped to
    > different slots)
    > 6) turned off a lot of features I had on on the motherboard-
    > audio/lan/etc
    > 6) played around with PNP vs. no pnp in the BIOS
    > 7) checked the cpu/mobo operating temperature (within spec).
    > 8) let the computer sit to cool in case it was an hd overheating issue.
    > 9) removed all cables to the pc but video (dvi) and usb keyboard
    > 10) tried the db15 analog cable from the monitor to boot into a
    > graphical environment
    >
    > and some more i'm probably missing....
    >

    > There are a few things that are odd:
    >
    > 1) the bios acts odd and occasionally complains of over voltage or
    > overclocking when I boot up after changing *nothing* in the bios.
    > 2) the bios "forgets" certain settings like "no graphical boot screen"
    > but will "remember" the fact that I Have a bios password.
    >
    > I have tried the following software:
    >
    > 1) ubcd 3.3 (will crash when trying to boot into a linux kernel saying
    > "there is a serious problem with your bios")- but i've seen that before
    > with a good bios.
    > 2) erd commander (it blue screens when going graphical)
    > 3) memtest x89 bootable (doesn't boot for some reason)
    > 4) original win xp cd for a restore. bsod's when I get to where it
    > goes graphical.
    >
    > So, obviously, the problem is where it goes graphical, YET, I have
    > tried other video cards. Are there settings in the bios I can change?
    > Is the BIOS just broken? I'm having a *hard* time loading a new bios
    > but it seems the most logical thing.
    >
    > For those that decode error messages (I don't know how to or know if
    > you even can) the bsod partially reads:
    >
    > 0000007b f78d2524 c0000034
    >
    > its the same bsod hex dump every time.

    Is there no verbage on the BSOD indicating a driver name or anything???
    Have you tried resetting the BIOS to default settings? Have you tried a new
    power supply? Could be a problem with the graphical part of the motherboard
    too. I'd return the MB for a replacement.
    Rila, Apr 6, 2006