    new HDD

    any clues

    Thanks

    *Paul*, Sep 15, 2003

  2. *Paul*

    Stevo Guest

    *Paul* wrote:
    > I have inherited a pc which seems to have a problem.
    >
    > When I press the on button, nothing seems to happen. There is no
    > output on the screen. The hard disc seems to start spinning though.
    >
    > When you press the reset button though, after about 7 seconds, it
    > beeps once and then displays the screen which tells you about the
    > bios verson, and that says press DEL to enter setup. IT seems to
    > freeze there. I do not see it counting up the RAM (maybe this happens
    > before the monitor kicks into action), but where the RAM would
    > normally be counted up it shows 'Main Processor: PENTIUM 650MHZ
    > (100MHZx6.5)'. I have tried different RAM, and a new HDD
    >
    > any clues
    >
    > Thanks

    You might be able to find a jumper on the motherboard that will allow you to
    clear the BIOS... try to do that (power machine off, move jumper from one
    set of pins to the other set for about 15 seconds, then restore it to the
    original position) or if you can't find such a jumper try taking the battery
    out for a few minutes. Reboot, then if you can get into the BIOS, set it to
    Failsafe defaults, save and exit then let it reboot again- you should also
    change the time/date while you are in BIOS.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Sep 15, 2003

  3. *Paul*

    Patrick Guest

    *Paul* wrote:
    > I have inherited a pc which seems to have a problem.
    >
    > When I press the on button, nothing seems to happen. There is no
    > output on the screen. The hard disc seems to start spinning though.
    >
    > When you press the reset button though, after about 7 seconds, it
    > beeps once and then displays the screen which tells you about the
    > bios verson, and that says press DEL to enter setup. IT seems to
    > freeze there. I do not see it counting up the RAM (maybe this happens
    > before the monitor kicks into action), but where the RAM would
    > normally be counted up it shows 'Main Processor: PENTIUM 650MHZ
    > (100MHZx6.5)'. I have tried different RAM, and a new HDD
    >
    > any clues
    >
    > Thanks

    I'm not sure, but someone else had such a problem, seems it was rectified by
    putting in new Mobo-Battery. This could be a possibility, in that the
    machine is quite old and has probably never seen a new battery.

    Patrick, Sep 16, 2003
  4. *Paul*

    *Paul* Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:02:05 +0100, "Patrick" <>
    wrote:

    >*Paul* wrote:
    >> I have inherited a pc which seems to have a problem.
    >>
    >> When I press the on button, nothing seems to happen. There is no
    >> output on the screen. The hard disc seems to start spinning though.
    >>
    >> When you press the reset button though, after about 7 seconds, it
    >> beeps once and then displays the screen which tells you about the
    >> bios verson, and that says press DEL to enter setup. IT seems to
    >> freeze there. I do not see it counting up the RAM (maybe this happens
    >> before the monitor kicks into action), but where the RAM would
    >> normally be counted up it shows 'Main Processor: PENTIUM 650MHZ
    >> (100MHZx6.5)'. I have tried different RAM, and a new HDD
    >>
    >> any clues
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >I'm not sure, but someone else had such a problem, seems it was rectified by
    >putting in new Mobo-Battery. This could be a possibility, in that the
    >machine is quite old and has probably never seen a new battery.

    Thanks I will try that.

    Anyone else got any other suggestions plz??

    *Paul*, Sep 16, 2003