    it still powered itself up at midnight .

    Any suggestions please.

    Graham
    Stickywax, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Stickywax

    Don Guest

    "Stickywax" <> wrote in message
    news:cljq83$kdv$...
    > My PC reboots itself . Say I switch it of at 10 pm it will reboot at
    > midnight, it does this every night, rebooting at midnight on the dot. I
    > have
    > automatic updates turned off, nothing in scheduled tasks, auto update is
    > turned of in AVG. My OS is XP pro. I have scanned with AVG, Ad-Aware &
    > Spybot they didn't find anything. There doesn't appear to be anything
    > untoward running in Task Manager. I tried disconnecting it from the
    > internet
    > it still powered itself up at midnight .
    >

    > Any suggestions please.
    >
    > Graham

    That has to be a virus.

    I would go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in regedit
    and see what nasty little program is being started with the computer that
    you don't want started, and if I was absolutely sure I was right I would
    delete it so it did not start again.
    Don, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Stickywax

    John Holmes Guest

    NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
    No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

    Don came up with this:

    > "Stickywax" <> wrote in message
    >> My PC reboots itself . Say I switch it of at 10 pm it will reboot at
    >> midnight, it does this every night, rebooting at midnight on the dot.
    >> I have
    >> automatic updates turned off, nothing in scheduled tasks, auto update
    >> is turned of in AVG. My OS is XP pro. I have scanned with AVG,
    >> Ad-Aware & Spybot they didn't find anything. There doesn't appear to
    >> be anything untoward running in Task Manager. I tried disconnecting
    >> it from the internet
    >> it still powered itself up at midnight .
    >>

    >> Any suggestions please.
    >>
    >> Graham

    > That has to be a virus.
    >
    > I would go to
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in
    > regedit and see what nasty little program is being started with the
    > computer that you don't want started, and if I was absolutely sure I
    > was right I would delete it so it did not start again.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    You dopey ****.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Stickywax

    dadiOH Guest

    Stickywax wrote:
    > My PC reboots itself . Say I switch it of at 10 pm it will reboot at
    > midnight, it does this every night, rebooting at midnight on the
    > dot. I have automatic updates turned off, nothing in scheduled
    > tasks, auto update is turned of in AVG. My OS is XP pro. I have
    > scanned with AVG, Ad-Aware & Spybot they didn't find anything.
    > There doesn't appear to be anything untoward running in Task
    > Manager. I tried disconnecting it from the internet it still
    > powered itself up at midnight .

    Check in the BIOS under "Wake up on..." or similar.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    ____________________________
    dadiOH, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Howdy!

    "Stickywax" <> wrote in message
    > My PC reboots itself . Say I switch it of at 10 pm it will reboot at
    > midnight, it does this every night, rebooting at midnight on the dot. I

    have
    > automatic updates turned off, nothing in scheduled tasks, auto update is
    > turned of in AVG. My OS is XP pro. I have scanned with AVG, Ad-Aware &
    > Spybot they didn't find anything. There doesn't appear to be anything
    > untoward running in Task Manager. I tried disconnecting it from the

    internet
    > it still powered itself up at midnight .

    Check in the BIOS. I'd be willing to bet that you've got an alarm
    set to turn it on at midnight every night.

    BTW - Since none of what you list is running when it's OFF, I'd not
    worry too much about the OS or anything running yet on a "Always turns
    itself on at midnight" type problem. That's like fiddling with the radio
    because the car's lights turn on at midnight every night ...

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Howdy!

    "Don" <mailto:> wrote in message

    > "Stickywax" <> wrote in message
    > > My PC reboots itself . Say I switch it of at 10 pm it will reboot at
    > > midnight, it does this every night, rebooting at midnight on the dot. I
    > > have
    > > automatic updates turned off, nothing in scheduled tasks, auto update is
    > > turned of in AVG. My OS is XP pro. I have scanned with AVG, Ad-Aware &
    > > Spybot they didn't find anything. There doesn't appear to be anything
    > > untoward running in Task Manager. I tried disconnecting it from the
    > > internet
    > > it still powered itself up at midnight .
    > >

    > > Any suggestions please.
    > >
    > > Graham

    > That has to be a virus.

    It does, huh?

    > I would go to
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in

    regedit
    > and see what nasty little program is being started with the computer that
    > you don't want started, and if I was absolutely sure I was right I would
    > delete it so it did not start again.

    And, exactly HOW will "nasty little program" turn the computer back
    ON when it's turned OFF ...

    Yes, the OP used incorrect terminology - but at least one line,
    which I quote here ... " it still powered itself up at midnight " ... gives
    us the big hint.

    An alarm is turned on in the BIOS, so it's turning itself on every
    night.

    The other two choices would be "Wake On LAN" and someone's bombing
    him with his magic number - but with it disconnected, that's not likely.

    Or "Wake on Ring" - but if it's at midnight every night, I'd think
    the OP would recognize it turning on when the phone rang B)

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Stickywax

    Hooter Guest

    Hey, Stickywax,
    I had a similar problem with my own PC which would reboot itself for no
    apparent reason whenever the refrigerator started. It turned out to be a bad
    power supply. After about two weeks of frustration it finally cooked the
    whole system. Hope this helps. If you want, reply to the group. Thats a fake
    email address.

    Hooter, Oct 26, 2004
  8. Stickywax

    Stickywax Guest

    Thanks for the help.

    In the BIOS under Power Management I disabled “ Resume by alarm ” that
    solved the problem.

    Graham

    Stickywax, Oct 26, 2004