PC Boot sequence question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Smith, Feb 26, 2009.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and XP.

    When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....

    This is what happens when it boots:-

    Beep

    Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)

    black screen

    Beep

    Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)

    list of text

    then Windows sequence

    and finally all ok after 1.5 mins

    any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?

    wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?

    John Smith, Feb 26, 2009

  2. John Smith

    Keyser Söze Guest

    John Smith <> wrote in message

    > Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and XP.
    >
    > When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....
    >
    > This is what happens when it boots:-
    >
    > Beep
    >
    > Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios
    > etc)
    > black screen
    >
    > Beep
    >
    > Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter
    > Bios etc)
    > list of text
    >
    > then Windows sequence
    >
    > and finally all ok after 1.5 mins
    >
    > any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?
    >
    > wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?

    BIOS associated beep codes:

    http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

    RAM associated beep codes:

    http://www.comptechdoc.org/hardware/beepcodes/1.htm

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

    Keyser Söze, Feb 26, 2009

  3. John Smith

    Buffalo Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and XP.
    >
    > When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....
    >
    > This is what happens when it boots:-
    >
    > Beep
    >
    > Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios
    > etc)
    >
    > black screen
    >
    > Beep
    >
    > Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter
    > Bios etc)
    >
    > list of text
    >
    > then Windows sequence
    >
    > and finally all ok after 1.5 mins
    >
    > any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?
    >
    > wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?

    There should be a choice in the BIOS for something like 'quick boot' 'quick
    post' or similar that you need to set.

    Buffalo, Feb 26, 2009
  4. John Smith

    chuckcar Guest

    "Keyser Söze" <> wrote in

    > John Smith <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and XP.
    >>
    >> When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....
    >>
    >> This is what happens when it boots:-
    >>
    >> Beep
    >>
    >> Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios
    >> etc)
    >> black screen
    >>
    >> Beep
    >>
    >> Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter
    >> Bios etc)
    >> list of text
    >>
    >> then Windows sequence
    >>
    >> and finally all ok after 1.5 mins
    >>
    >> any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?
    >>
    >> wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?

    > BIOS associated beep codes:
    >
    > http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
    >
    > RAM associated beep codes:
    >
    > http://www.comptechdoc.org/hardware/beepcodes/1.htm

    One beep is *not* a POST ERROR, it's the BIOS speaker test - such as it
    is.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 27, 2009
  5. John Smith

    doS Guest

    its the same screen just interupted

    doS, Feb 27, 2009
  6. John Smith

    PeeCee Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and XP.
    >
    > When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....
    >
    > This is what happens when it boots:-
    >
    > Beep
    >
    > Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)
    >
    > black screen
    >
    > Beep
    >
    > Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios
    > etc)
    >
    > list of text
    >
    > then Windows sequence
    >
    > and finally all ok after 1.5 mins
    >
    > any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?
    >
    > wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?

    Sounds like a motherboard that needs a bios update to recognise the CPU
    correctly.
    A lot of motherboards these days will reboot automatically if they don't
    recognise the CPU and think it is being incorrectly overclocked.
    The second startup is when the motherboard goes to a 'safe' set of settings
    to allow you to at least use the board till you get the bios updated.

    The technique goes by various names, for example Asus calls it:
    Overclocking Protection
    - ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

    Go to Gigabytes download site and compare the latest bios with your one.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Feb 27, 2009
  7. John Smith

    Keyser Söze Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in message

    > "Keyser Söze" <> wrote
    > in news:go73fj$i9v$:
    >
    >> John Smith <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and
    >>> XP.
    >>>
    >>> When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence
    >>> twice....
    >>>
    >>> This is what happens when it boots:-
    >>>
    >>> Beep
    >>>
    >>> Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios
    >>> etc)
    >>> black screen
    >>>
    >>> Beep
    >>>
    >>> Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter
    >>> Bios etc)
    >>> list of text
    >>>
    >>> then Windows sequence
    >>>
    >>> and finally all ok after 1.5 mins
    >>>
    >>> any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?
    >>>
    >>> wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?

    >> BIOS associated beep codes:
    >>
    >> http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
    >>
    >> RAM associated beep codes:
    >>
    >> http://www.comptechdoc.org/hardware/beepcodes/1.htm
    >>

    > One beep is *not* a POST ERROR, it's the BIOS speaker test - such as
    > it is.

    Eh?

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

    Keyser Söze, Feb 27, 2009
  8. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> Just upgraded a pc..its a Gigabyte mobo, intel core 2 duo cpu and XP.
    >>
    >> When it boots up it seems to go through part of the sequence twice....
    >>
    >> This is what happens when it boots:-
    >>
    >> Beep
    >>
    >> Gigabyte display (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios etc)
    >>
    >> black screen
    >>
    >> Beep
    >>
    >> Gigabyte screen again (where one can tab for Post or esc for enter Bios
    >> etc)
    >>
    >> list of text
    >>
    >> then Windows sequence
    >>
    >> and finally all ok after 1.5 mins
    >>
    >> any ideas why it should pull up the Gigabyte screen twice?
    >>
    >> wonder if its to do with the motherboard, cpu or Operating system?
    >>

    > Sounds like a motherboard that needs a bios update to recognise the CPU
    > correctly.
    > A lot of motherboards these days will reboot automatically if they don't
    > recognise the CPU and think it is being incorrectly overclocked.
    > The second startup is when the motherboard goes to a 'safe' set of
    > settings to allow you to at least use the board till you get the bios
    > updated.
    >
    > The technique goes by various names, for example Asus calls it:
    > Overclocking Protection
    > - ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
    >
    > Go to Gigabytes download site and compare the latest bios with your one.

    BIOS update - that's a thought...never having done such before..is the
    process straight forward or do I need to get my more knowledgeable buddy to
    assist?
    Another couple bits of information...
    1.From the first Gigabyte BIOS display its not possible to action anything
    from there..tried Delete key to enter BIOS...Nothing.
    2. Also, may or may not be relevant...but when using Power Options..and
    having pc go into standby after so many minutes..it seems to do that ok,
    screen off etc - except the fans don't stop - ...but then will it come out
    of standby?...no it won't!...tried mouse and all keys...nothing...only way
    is to reboot.
    Thanks.

    John Smith, Feb 27, 2009
  9. John Smith

    chuckcar Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in

    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > BIOS update - that's a thought...never having done such before..is the
    > process straight forward or do I need to get my more knowledgeable buddy
    > to assist?

    Very *much* so. You either get the *exact* right one or you end up with a
    doorstop - *completely* dead.

    > Another couple bits of information...
    > 1.From the first Gigabyte BIOS display its not possible to action
    > anything from there..tried Delete key to enter BIOS...Nothing.

    You *do* get the lights over the number pad flashing on and off when you
    power up right? If not, there's a keyboard problem.

    > 2. Also, may or may not be relevant...but when using Power Options..and
    > having pc go into standby after so many minutes..it seems to do that ok,
    > screen off etc - except the fans don't stop - ...but then will it come
    > out of standby?...no it won't!...tried mouse and all
    > keys...nothing...only way is to reboot.

    Did you try pushing in the power button on the tower for about 1/2 second?

    Does the hard drive stop spinning and the power light on the computer case
    go amber?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 28, 2009
  10. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    >>> Sounds like a motherboard that needs a bios update to recognise the CPU
    >>> correctly.
    >>> A lot of motherboards these days will reboot automatically if they don't
    >>> recognise the CPU and think it is being incorrectly overclocked.
    >>> The second startup is when the motherboard goes to a 'safe' set of
    >>> settings to allow you to at least use the board till you get the bios
    >>> updated.
    >>>
    >>> The technique goes by various names, for example Asus calls it:
    >>> Overclocking Protection
    >>> - ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
    >>>
    >>> Go to Gigabytes download site and compare the latest bios with your one.

    >> BIOS update - that's a thought...never having done such before..is the
    >> process straight forward or do I need to get my more knowledgeable buddy
    >> to assist?
    >> Another couple bits of information...
    >> 1.From the first Gigabyte BIOS display its not possible to action
    >> anything from there..tried Delete key to enter BIOS...Nothing.
    >> 2. Also, may or may not be relevant...but when using Power Options..and
    >> having pc go into standby after so many minutes..it seems to do that ok,
    >> screen off etc - except the fans don't stop - ...but then will it come
    >> out of standby?...no it won't!...tried mouse and all
    >> keys...nothing...only way is to reboot.
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > John
    > The process is straight forware provided:
    > 1 You get the 'precise' correct bios for your model and 'version' of
    > motherboard.
    > This is one situation where close is 'not' good enough, it must be letter
    > for letter, number for number, stroke for stroke etc accurate.
    > 2 You read the instructions again and again until you understand them
    > completely.
    > 3 You 'never' ever turn the PC off in mid update, ie best to run it from a
    > UPS in case of power cuts.
    > The average UPS should run long enough to cover a Bios update.
    >
    > I haven't done a Gigabyte for a while but it is (qualified) easier these
    > days than it used to be.

    ============================
    SUCCESS!!!!

    ........was just about to start the dreaded BIOS updating...
    ....last throw....disconnected all devices..
    ....ie 2 x hard drives, CD/DVD drive, printer, scanner, sound box and
    external hard
    drive....then switched on...all ok...
    .....reattached the devices one by one...
    ....and guess which was the culprit?
    ....the **** external hard drive!!
    ....unplugged the USB connected 500GB Seagate Free Agent external hard drive
    and all ok ie no double bios execution!!..
    Thanks very much for your help!
    All I need to do now if determine why the Seagate is causing such and how to
    remedy. :)
    Thanks again,
    ===========

    John Smith, Feb 28, 2009
  11. John Smith

    olfart Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message

    >>> ===========================================================
    >>> BIOS update - that's a thought...never having done such before..is the
    >>> process straight forward or do I need to get my more knowledgeable buddy
    >>> to assist?
    >>> Another couple bits of information...
    >>> 1.From the first Gigabyte BIOS display its not possible to action
    >>> anything from there..tried Delete key to enter BIOS...Nothing.
    >>> 2. Also, may or may not be relevant...but when using Power Options..and
    >>> having pc go into standby after so many minutes..it seems to do that ok,
    >>> screen off etc - except the fans don't stop - ...but then will it come
    >>> out of standby?...no it won't!...tried mouse and all
    >>> keys...nothing...only way is to reboot.
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> John
    >> The process is straight forware provided:
    >> 1 You get the 'precise' correct bios for your model and 'version' of
    >> motherboard.
    >> This is one situation where close is 'not' good enough, it must be letter
    >> for letter, number for number, stroke for stroke etc accurate.
    >> 2 You read the instructions again and again until you understand them
    >> completely.
    >> 3 You 'never' ever turn the PC off in mid update, ie best to run it from
    >> a UPS in case of power cuts.
    >> The average UPS should run long enough to cover a Bios update.
    >>
    >> I haven't done a Gigabyte for a while but it is (qualified) easier these
    >> days than it used to be.

    > ============================
    > SUCCESS!!!!
    >
    > .......was just about to start the dreaded BIOS updating...
    > ...last throw....disconnected all devices..
    > ...ie 2 x hard drives, CD/DVD drive, printer, scanner, sound box and
    > external hard
    > drive....then switched on...all ok...
    > ....reattached the devices one by one...
    > ...and guess which was the culprit?
    > ...the **** external hard drive!!
    > ...unplugged the USB connected 500GB Seagate Free Agent external hard
    > drive
    > and all ok ie no double bios execution!!..
    > Thanks very much for your help!
    > All I need to do now if determine why the Seagate is causing such and how
    > remedy. :)
    > Thanks again,
    > ===========

    because Seagate is crap...along with most "special external drives" with
    added crap like Free Agent, etc.
    Try to format the Seagate and get any crap off of it that they might have
    put on.

    olfart, Feb 28, 2009
  12. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > John Smith <> pinched out a steaming pile

    > system?

    > the CPU

    > don't

    > bios

    > your one.

    > the

    > buddy

    > Options..and

    > that ok,

    > come
    >>>>

    >>> John
    >>> The process is straight forware provided:
    >>> 1 You get the 'precise' correct bios for your model and 'version' of
    >>> motherboard.
    >>> This is one situation where close is 'not' good enough, it must be

    > letter
    >>> for letter, number for number, stroke for stroke etc accurate.
    >>> 2 You read the instructions again and again until you understand

    > them
    >>> completely.
    >>> 3 You 'never' ever turn the PC off in mid update, ie best to run it

    > from a
    >>> UPS in case of power cuts.
    >>> The average UPS should run long enough to cover a Bios update.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't done a Gigabyte for a while but it is (qualified) easier

    > these
    >>> days than it used to be.

    >>============================
    >>SUCCESS!!!!
    >>
    >>.......was just about to start the dreaded BIOS updating...
    >>...last throw....disconnected all devices..
    >>...ie 2 x hard drives, CD/DVD drive, printer, scanner, sound box and
    >>external hard
    >>drive....then switched on...all ok...
    >>....reattached the devices one by one...
    >>...and guess which was the culprit?
    >>...the **** external hard drive!!
    >>...unplugged the USB connected 500GB Seagate Free Agent external hard

    > drive
    >>and all ok ie no double bios execution!!..
    >>Thanks very much for your help!
    >>All I need to do now if determine why the Seagate is causing such and

    > how to
    >>remedy. :)
    >>Thanks again,
    >>===========
    >>

    > Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
    > for a boot sector on that drive.
    >
    > FYI
    > HTH
    > HAND
    >===============

    Why would it do that since the bios tells to boot from one of the named
    internal hard drives?

    John Smith, Feb 28, 2009
  13. John Smith

    YourName Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in
    <bunch'o'snippage>
    > ============================
    > SUCCESS!!!!
    >
    > .......was just about to start the dreaded BIOS updating...
    > ...last throw....disconnected all devices..
    > ...ie 2 x hard drives, CD/DVD drive, printer, scanner, sound box and
    > external hard
    > drive....then switched on...all ok...
    > ....reattached the devices one by one...
    > ...and guess which was the culprit?
    > ...the **** external hard drive!!
    > ...unplugged the USB connected 500GB Seagate Free Agent external hard
    > drive and all ok ie no double bios execution!!..
    > Thanks very much for your help!
    > All I need to do now if determine why the Seagate is causing such and
    > how to remedy. :)
    > Thanks again,
    > ===========

    I personally do NOT like Seagate drives.;/

    That is why there was a variety, until Seagate bought Western Digital, who
    owns Maxtor. Yuk, that was a mouthful.

    YourName, Feb 28, 2009
  14. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "YourName" <> wrote in message
    > "John Smith" <> wrote in
    > <bunch'o'snippage>
    >> ============================
    >> SUCCESS!!!!
    >>
    >> .......was just about to start the dreaded BIOS updating...
    >> ...last throw....disconnected all devices..
    >> ...ie 2 x hard drives, CD/DVD drive, printer, scanner, sound box and
    >> external hard
    >> drive....then switched on...all ok...
    >> ....reattached the devices one by one...
    >> ...and guess which was the culprit?
    >> ...the **** external hard drive!!
    >> ...unplugged the USB connected 500GB Seagate Free Agent external hard
    >> drive and all ok ie no double bios execution!!..
    >> Thanks very much for your help!
    >> All I need to do now if determine why the Seagate is causing such and
    >> how to remedy. :)
    >> Thanks again,
    >> ===========

    > I personally do NOT like Seagate drives.;/
    >
    > That is why there was a variety, until Seagate bought Western Digital, who
    > owns Maxtor. Yuk, that was a mouthful.

    ===============
    But do you have any idea why/how the external hard drive would throw up this
    double bios execution at boot up?

    John Smith, Feb 28, 2009
  15. John Smith

    G. Morgan Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    >Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
    >for a boot sector on that drive.

    Not necessarily. I would advise the OP to look at "Legacy USB Support" in the
    BIOS.

    G. Morgan, Feb 28, 2009
  16. G. Morgan wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >> Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
    >> for a boot sector on that drive.

    > Not necessarily. I would advise the OP to look at "Legacy USB Support" in the
    > BIOS.

    Really? I usually resort to Magic 8 Ball...

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Feb 28, 2009
  17. John Smith

    G. Morgan Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    >G. Morgan wrote:
    >> §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
    >>> for a boot sector on that drive.

    >> Not necessarily. I would advise the OP to look at "Legacy USB Support" in the
    >> BIOS.

    >Really? I usually resort to Magic 8 Ball...

    I remember having a similar weird problem with a box that wouldn't boot with
    an external USB drive attached.

    G. Morgan, Feb 28, 2009
  18. John Smith

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 02:10:41 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Very *much* so. You either get the *exact* right one or you end up with a
    >doorstop - *completely* dead.

    Or, you get a BIOS update that refuses to update if it's not the
    correct update.

    Evan Platt, Mar 1, 2009
  19. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >>Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
    >>for a boot sector on that drive.

    > Not necessarily. I would advise the OP to look at "Legacy USB Support" in
    > the
    > BIOS.

    ====================
    Excellent. TVM. That did the trick.

    John Smith, Mar 1, 2009
  20. John Smith

    G. Morgan Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    >"G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >> §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >>
    >>>Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
    >>>for a boot sector on that drive.

    >> Not necessarily. I would advise the OP to look at "Legacy USB Support" in
    >> the
    >> BIOS.

    >Excellent. TVM. That did the trick.

    You're welcome. Sometimes that magic 8-ball is right. ;-)

    G. Morgan, Mar 1, 2009