    Thanks loads in advance!
    Best,
    bj

    bj, Jan 5, 2009

  2. bj

    Paul Guest

    bj wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Some time ago the time on my pc began to reset; recently every time I start
    > it, the BIOS setup screen comes up and I need to move HDD as primary drive
    > to first position which keeps resetting to floppy every time after shutdown.
    > Is that a matter of a battery? If so, where will I find it on the
    > motherboard?
    >
    > Thanks loads in advance!
    > Best,
    > bj

    Make and model of computer ? Or alternately, make and model of motherboard ?

    Many modern systems will use something like a CR2032 coin cell, which could
    be fitted in a horizontal socket or a vertical ("toaster") style socket.
    Replacements are available at many stores - just take the coin cell with
    you to the store, so the clerk can match it up.

    A CR2032 reads about 3.0V when new, and should be replaced if it goes
    below 2.4V or so. The battery is not charged by the motherboard. Battery
    current is mainly drawn, when the switch on the back of the computer
    is OFF, or the plug has been pulled. If the computer sleeps in
    standby, then the battery doesn't get used. The difference is a 3 year
    life with the computer unplugged, versus going to the shelf life
    of the battery, if the computer sleeps in standby. The reason I
    know it is three years, is I've had to replace a couple, on computers
    stored here. And I'm getting about three years from them.

    On older computers, or non-PC computers, many different
    schemes have been used. For those, you might see a cylinder,
    rather than a coin cell.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 5, 2009