    Is this safe (secure) to use?
    Thanks,
    Linda
    Linda, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Linda

    Leythos Guest

    In article <rl07b.20$>,
    says...
    > Is this safe (secure) to use?
    > Thanks,
    > Linda

    In general, as long as you install it with a strong user name and
    password and require encryption it "can" be used in a reasonable secure
    manner - I would never do it myself.

    Most security people will not allow it access to/from the internet -
    they require users to open a VPN tunnel and use it through the VPN.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Linda

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:22:05 -0600, "Linda" <> wrote:

    >Is this safe (secure) to use?
    >Thanks,
    >Linda

    Probably, but its very bloated these days and if you only
    want basic remote control of PC's check out

    http://www.realvnc.com

    which is smaller, and does most of the stuff and is free.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Linda

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Sep 8, 2003
  5. Linda

    Linda Guest

    Thanks,
    Just wondered, as a company I subcontract with is installing it on lots
    (several dozens) of computers - it makes me kind of nervous - maybe only
    because I don't know much about it and so tend to distrust.
    Linda

    Linda, Sep 8, 2003
  6. Linda

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 21:29:17 +0200, "Frode"
    <> wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >> Probably, but its very bloated these days and if you only
    >> want basic remote control of PC's check out
    >> http://www.realvnc.com
    >> which is smaller, and does most of the stuff and is free.

    >Does it still have a password system that ignores any characters above 8
    >and is case insensitive? I haven't used it for a number of years due to
    >that limitation, but presumably it's been fixed by now?

    well its open source so if thats a problem, they you can always fix it
    I guess. Not that I am fluent in C or have enven looked into the
    source code.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Sep 8, 2003
  7. Linda

    Leythos Guest

    In article <SY47b.52$>,
    says...
    > Thanks,
    > Just wondered, as a company I subcontract with is installing it on lots
    > (several dozens) of computers - it makes me kind of nervous - maybe only
    > because I don't know much about it and so tend to distrust.
    > Linda

    Linda - if it's an I.T. company and they are installing it on Windows
    servers they don't really know what they are doing. Terminal Services
    works real nicely as do many FREE remote control programs - VNC is one
    of the best. I would never install PCAW on a production server.

    Leythos, Sep 8, 2003
  8. Linda

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Sep 9, 2003