    Everything was normal during that process.

    Suggestions?

    Charlie

    Charlie, Jun 9, 2010

  2. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:51:59 -0400, "Charlie" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The first problem was the HD not booting up without trying several
    >>restarts.

    > How did the HD not work? Did booting the computer give an error of
    > some sort?

    Didn't start as evidenced by inactive drive light on front panel. So no pc
    activity and no windows screen

    >>Then I had problems with USB ports not working.

    > What devices did you try in the USB port to determine it wasn't
    > working?

    an external HD, an external 4 port usb adapter and a wireless mouse with a
    usb recieiver

    >>Question: Do the USB ports require info from the HD or is all they need in
    >>the BIOS and Cmos?

    > Are you talking about booting to a USB drive? Or simply seeing a USB
    > device in your operating system? Or something else.

    No this is the internal sata drive that had been running fine . I did open
    the box and reseat the connectors but they seemed snug and it did not help.

    >>I am wondering if these problems are pointing to a PS problem.

    > Power Supply? Not likely.

    Well that's what led to this questionas they seem like two separate problems
    and I am lokking for a commonality.

    Charlie, Jun 9, 2010

  3. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:46:39 -0400, "Charlie" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Evan Platt" <> wrote in message

    >>> How did the HD not work? Did booting the computer give an error of
    >>> some sort?

    >>Didn't start as evidenced by inactive drive light on front panel. So no pc
    >>activity and no windows screen

    > So no POST or BIOS screen?

    It may have put up a start screen and the monitor pilot light indicated a
    signal and then reverted to a no-video pilot light indication.
    I don't recall exactly what tube showed and today it is all working. I hate
    intermittent problems.

    Charlie, Jun 9, 2010
  4. Charlie

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:51:59 -0400, Charlie wrote:

    > The first problem was the HD not booting up without trying several restarts.
    >
    > Then I had problems with USB ports not working.
    >
    > Question: Do the USB ports require info from the HD or is all they need in
    > the BIOS and Cmos?
    >
    > I am wondering if these problems are pointing to a PS problem.
    >
    > This was yesterday. Today when I got it running, so far every is working.
    > Anticipating a problem I was able to clone the HD to an external HD.
    > Everything was normal during that process.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Charlie

    Hell, I've had mine do hiccups like that frequently. As I unplug mine
    almost daily, I travel quite a bit, I don't know if it's gonna boot up the
    first time or the 20th time.

    --
    I learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone, so you got to please
    yourself.

    richard, Jun 9, 2010
  5. Charlie tooted this whistle with free access from
    the news:huokc2$rh6$-september.org:

    > The first problem was the HD not booting up
    > without trying several restarts.
    >
    > Then I had problems with USB ports not working.
    >
    > Question: Do the USB ports require info from the HD
    > or is all they need in the BIOS and Cmos?

    Depends. Some systems will boot from a USB drive;
    some will not. Usually, the newer systems will.
    But, some of the cheaper new systems still will not.

    > I am wondering if these problems are pointing to
    > a PS problem.

    Maybe a PMS problem... A PSU problem? It'd be rare.
    Did you put in any honkin' big-ass PCI cards or upgrade
    your video/sound cards concomitant with the issues surfacing?

    > This was yesterday. Today when I got it running,
    > so far every is working. Anticipating a problem I
    > was able to clone the HD to an external HD.
    > Everything was normal during that process.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Charlie

    Repair your MBR with a boot utility and then keep
    a current backup image for safety. Sounds like
    it resolved.

    Something might help:

    http://mbrwizard.com/

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*, "that"
    is NOT a Jedi Light-Sabre in my pocket; and

    "Happy" to see her:

    http://vimeo.com/12280336

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 9, 2010
  6. Charlie

    Mike Yetto Guest

    richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:51:59 -0400, Charlie wrote:

    <Something that had nothing to do with richard's answer>

    > Hell, I've had mine do hiccups like that frequently. As I unplug mine
    > almost daily, I travel quite a bit, I don't know if it's gonna boot up the
    > first time or the 20th time.

    If you are unplugging or turning off the computer without a
    proper shutdown of the OS you can expect this to continue until
    the HD runs screaming from the room in terror.

    Mike "that might happen anyway" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Jun 9, 2010
  7. Charlie

    duckstandard Guest

    Charlie wrote:
    > The first problem was the HD not booting up without trying several restarts.
    >
    > Then I had problems with USB ports not working.
    >
    > Question: Do the USB ports require info from the HD or is all they need in
    > the BIOS and Cmos?

    I have booted operating systems from usb drives, no they don't need a
    hard drive. Older usb ports may not work with today's hardware though.

    duckstandard, Jun 10, 2010
  8. Charlie

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 18:35:38 -0400, Mike Yetto wrote:

    > richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:51:59 -0400, Charlie wrote:
    >>

    > <Something that had nothing to do with richard's answer>
    >>
    >> Hell, I've had mine do hiccups like that frequently. As I unplug mine
    >> almost daily, I travel quite a bit, I don't know if it's gonna boot up the
    >> first time or the 20th time.
    >>

    > If you are unplugging or turning off the computer without a
    > proper shutdown of the OS you can expect this to continue until
    > the HD runs screaming from the room in terror.
    >
    > Mike "that might happen anyway" Yetto

    WITH a proper shutdown. What da ya expect from winduhs?

    richard, Jun 10, 2010
  9. Mike Yetto wrote:
    > richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:51:59 -0400, Charlie wrote:
    >>

    > <Something that had nothing to do with richard's answer>
    >> Hell, I've had mine do hiccups like that frequently. As I unplug mine
    >> almost daily, I travel quite a bit, I don't know if it's gonna boot up the
    >> first time or the 20th time.
    >>

    > If you are unplugging or turning off the computer without a
    > proper shutdown of the OS you can expect this to continue until
    > the HD runs screaming from the room in terror.
    >
    > Mike "that might happen anyway" Yetto

    __________^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    With some of the sites he's admitted to being on, your scenario would
    not surprise me one bit.

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Jun 10, 2010
  10. richard wrote:
    > WITH a proper shutdown. What da ya expect from winduhs?

    Same thing would happen under Linux and Unix as a result of an
    improper shutdown.

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Jun 10, 2010
  11. Charlie

    Parko Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:31:56 -0500, richard sgraffire:

    > Hell, I've had mine do hiccups like that frequently. As I unplug mine
    > almost daily, I travel quite a bit, I don't know if it's gonna

    boot up
    > the first time or the 20th time.

    And you proffer to offer computer fix-it advice...crickey!

    --
    Became a recluse
    And bought a computer

    Parko, Jun 10, 2010
  12. Charlie

    Mike Yetto Guest

    thund3rstruck <thund3rstruck_n0i@live> writes and having writ moves on.
    > Mike Yetto wrote:
    >> richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:51:59 -0400, Charlie wrote:
    >>>

    >> <Something that had nothing to do with richard's answer>
    >>> Hell, I've had mine do hiccups like that frequently. As I unplug mine
    >>> almost daily, I travel quite a bit, I don't know if it's gonna boot up the
    >>> first time or the 20th time.
    >>>

    >> If you are unplugging or turning off the computer without a
    >> proper shutdown of the OS you can expect this to continue until
    >> the HD runs screaming from the room in terror.
    >>
    >> Mike "that might happen anyway" Yetto

    > __________^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > With some of the sites he's admitted to being on, your scenario would
    > not surprise me one bit.

    If he's exiting his sessions in the way he implied he'll
    eventually have problems regardless of OS (as you already
    mentioned elsewhere) or network activity.

    We could start a pool to see what gets him first, but
    verification is problematic.

    Mike "just waiting for the end result" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Jun 10, 2010