PBX Tie Line

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Amy L., Nov 22, 2004.

  1. Amy L.

    Amy L. Guest

    We are looking at seting up a PBX tie line between our two locations.
    The telecom group says they will hand us off 16 DSO's. We will be
    using a 2811 router with a PVDM2-16 DSP card. The PBX will hand these
    off to a VWIC-2MFT-T1. The router will than convert the voice to IP
    and send out on ethernet which it will be routed over ethernet to our
    second location. The voice will terminate on the far end on another
    2811 router which will be tied into the remote PBX.

    Since VOIP is new to me I have a few questions hopefully someone can
    answer.

    1.) I assume the DI (Drop and Insert) functionality is not needed
    since connectivity between the two sites is via gig ethernet and not a
    serial T1 connection?

    2.) Since we are being handed off voice we will need to run it through
    a codec which one is typically best?

    3.) Can someone direct me to some sample configurations of this type
    of configuration?

    I am sorry for these questions being so basic, but this is my first
    venture into the voice realm and I want to do as much research before
    we attempt to implement this in the lab.

    Amy.
    Amy L., Nov 22, 2004

  2. Hello, Amy!
    You wrote on 22 Nov 2004 11:54:30 -0800:

    AL> 1.) I assume the DI (Drop and Insert) functionality is not needed
    AL> since connectivity between the two sites is via gig ethernet and
    AL> not a serial T1 connection?

    Here is good explanation of DI. Look under "TDM Cross Connect (tdm-group)"
    section.

    http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_tech_note09186a0080100688.shtml

    It doesn't matter what kind of connection do you have between sites. Even with
    T1 line between sites you normally wouldn't need DI.

    AL> 2.) Since we are being handed off voice we will need to run it
    AL> through a codec which one is typically best?

    If bandwidth is not an issue, G.711 is your friend.

    AL> 3.) Can someone direct me to some sample configurations of this
    AL> type of configuration?

    For this particular scenarion this one might be useful

    http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800afd65.shtml

    And this one is for all other stuff

    http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/tech_configuration_examples_list.html

    AL> I am sorry for these questions being so basic, but this is my
    AL> first venture into the voice realm and I want to do as much
    AL> research before we attempt to implement this in the lab.

    CVOICE course is pretty helpful to hit ground running.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.
    Andrey Tarasov, Nov 23, 2004

  3. You might want to look at MCK's PBXGateway product for this application
    http://www.verso.com/enterprise/distributed_telephony/pbxgateway/index.asp

    Shawn H. Mesiatowsky, Nov 23, 2004