    Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300 or
    less if possible.

    Thanks in advance!

    Henry Cabot Henhouse III, Jun 20, 2006

  2. Henry Cabot Henhouse III

    Guest

    Henry Cabot Henhouse III wrote:
    > This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking for a
    > simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
    > and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.
    >
    > When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
    > "dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
    > ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
    > and should not require the use of a server.
    >
    > Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300 or
    > less if possible.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    You might also look at phonegnome (www.phonegnome.com). They blend
    PSTN and VOIP. Not sure if it will do exactly what you're after though.

    , Jun 20, 2006

  3. "Henry Cabot Henhouse III" <> wrote:
    >simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
    >and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.
    >
    >When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
    >"dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
    >ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
    >and should not require the use of a server.

    Have you looked at the various offerings from http://multitech.com/ ?
    They seem to do that kind of thing, and appear to work well, though I
    haven't used them personally.

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 20, 2006
  4. Henry Cabot Henhouse III

    B. Wright Guest

    Henry Cabot Henhouse III <> wrote:
    > This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking for a
    > simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
    > and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.

    > When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
    > "dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
    > ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
    > and should not require the use of a server.

    > Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300 or
    > less if possible.

    You should be able to do this with a Sipura 3000 FXO port hooked
    up to the PBX and one of the FXS only Sipuras on the other end. Go read
    about the "hotline" feature in the diaplans of the Sipuras. Basically, it
    just auto-dials to the number (or SIP URI) as soon as the handset is picked
    up. These can do IP to IP dialing without a SIP server in between. For
    the incoming calls to route to the remote extension set the FXO port on
    the SPA 3000 up to forward everything to the other adapter.

    This is quite a cheap solution too.

    B. Wright, Jun 26, 2006
  5. Henry Cabot Henhouse III

    Pat Coghlan Guest

    The problem with your suggestion is that you're connecting a phone line
    to a phone line (PBX to Sipura). There is no phone to go off-hook.
    When there is an incoming call, the PBX puts ringing voltage on the
    line. The Sipura is not designed for this.

    Pat Coghlan, Jun 26, 2006
  6. "B. Wright" <> wrote in message
    > Henry Cabot Henhouse III <> wrote:
    >> This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking
    >> for a
    >> simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
    >> and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.

    >> When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
    >> "dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home
    >> should
    >> ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
    >> and should not require the use of a server.

    >> Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300
    >> or
    >> less if possible.

    > You should be able to do this with a Sipura 3000 FXO port hooked
    > up to the PBX and one of the FXS only Sipuras on the other end. Go read
    > about the "hotline" feature in the diaplans of the Sipuras. Basically, it
    > just auto-dials to the number (or SIP URI) as soon as the handset is
    > picked
    > up. These can do IP to IP dialing without a SIP server in between. For
    > the incoming calls to route to the remote extension set the FXO port on
    > the SPA 3000 up to forward everything to the other adapter.
    >
    > This is quite a cheap solution too.

    I think his PBX extension requires an FXS interface, making the solution
    even cheaper: a pair of SPA-1000
    (http://www.telephonyware.com/telephonyware/tw00111.html or, even better, of
    PAP2-NA (http://www.voipsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=317 will
    cost him ~120.

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Jun 26, 2006
  7. Thank you for the suggestions...
    I did look at the ArtDio IPH-102 VoIP FXO FXS Gateway
    Has anyone used these in an "off prem" type application? I'm just wondering
    how
    easy/difficult they are to configure for use in a point to point setup? They
    run P.MGCP.

    Henry Cabot Henhouse III, Jun 26, 2006
  8. Henry Cabot Henhouse III

    B. Wright Guest

    Pat Coghlan <> wrote:
    > The problem with your suggestion is that you're connecting a phone line
    > to a phone line (PBX to Sipura). There is no phone to go off-hook.
    > When there is an incoming call, the PBX puts ringing voltage on the
    > line. The Sipura is not designed for this.

    Pat, you're wrong. Most Sipuras aren't designed for that, but
    the SPA-3000 has an FXO port, which is designed to be hooked up to an
    incoming analog line provided by the telco/pbx. It handles ringing
    voltage just fine. It also does have an FXS port to hook a handset up
    to and a hardware relay that shunts the handset to the incoming analog
    line if the power dies for emergency service even if the VoIP portion of
    the adapter isn't working. Most of those features aren't too relevant
    to what the original poster wants to do, but the FXO port is for the pbx
    end of business.

    B. Wright, Jun 28, 2006
  9. Henry Cabot Henhouse III

    Pat Coghlan Guest

    Is that the only reason the FXO port is there, to provide a backup
    analog shunt if the TA loses power?

    Anyway, as you indicated, in this configuration it's still not possible
    to extend the "FXS" port to meet the OP's requirement.

    Pat Coghlan, Jun 28, 2006
  10. Pat Coghlan <> wrote:
    >Anyway, as you indicated, in this configuration it's still not possible
    >to extend the "FXS" port to meet the OP's requirement.

    You use an FXO box to connect to the OP's PBX and hook his remote
    telephone up to an FXS box. Ignore all the extra ports on any boxes
    you might use.

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 28, 2006
  11. Henry Cabot Henhouse III

    B. Wright Guest

    Pat Coghlan <> wrote:
    > Is that the only reason the FXO port is there, to provide a backup
    > analog shunt if the TA loses power?

    No, you can do a lot of things, like use it as a VoIP->PSTN
    gateway and the converse a PSTN->VoIP gateway, you can use it as both
    an analog trunk on an IP PBX, etc...

    > Anyway, as you indicated, in this configuration it's still not possible
    > to extend the "FXS" port to meet the OP's requirement.

    Yes, with just the SPA-3000 alone, but go back and read what I
    wrote, I told the guy he'd need something else on the other like an
    SPA-1001 or similar to run the handset at that end as well.

    B. Wright, Jun 30, 2006