    I'm looking for a good photo sharing site that offers privacy and is simple
    to use. What might you recommend?

    Thanks.

    Minou, Mar 9, 2005

  2. Minou <> writes:

    > I'm looking for a good photo sharing site that offers privacy and is simple
    > to use. What might you recommend?

    This is a frequenly asked question, and it turns out there are dozens of
    likely sites. You'll get tons of suggestions. Let me suggest that you pick
    a few and read the terms of the various agreements. Some sites require you
    to grant them a license in your copyright, giving themselves the right to
    sell items with your images or to use your image in ads for the site. Some
    prohibit images that are indecent, obscene, or pornographic. They even
    prohibit nudity. As I have photos of topless and clothing optional beaches
    and Burning Man, I don't want to run afoul of someone else's definition of
    decency, and I certainly will violate the prohibition against nudity; you
    may not care.

    Check to make sure you can password-protect images or collections of
    images, if you want privacy. As an aside, if you password-protect images,
    some sites won't care what you post.

    Although I don't use Pbase, I like it's terms of service. See
    http://www.pbase.com/tos

    Contrast this with the terms of service at Ofoto:
    http://www.ofoto.com/TermsOfService.jsp
    Note that in Paragraph 18, you allow others to share and make prints from
    your images; pargraph 19, which prohibits (among other things) blasphemous
    images.

    See the terms at
    http://www.webshots.com/html/terms.html
    where "you hereby grant Webshots a perpetual, universal, nonexclusive right
    to copy, display, modify, alter, transmit and distribute any materials
    stored by you in public albums or otherwise provided by you to the Webshots
    Community."

    Aside from mere storage, many sites offer things that make the site more
    useful. I'd suggest you take a look at
    http://www.flickr.com/
    http://www.smugmug.com/
    http://www.dotphoto.com/
    to see if their offerings interest you.

    Read not only the terms of service but their privacy policies -- free
    services have to make money somehow, and it may be by selling your
    demographics in a manner which identifies you. (Smugmug is not free.)

    Phil Stripling, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Minou

    Frank ess Guest

    Phil Stripling wrote:
    > Minou <> writes:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a good photo sharing site that offers privacy and is
    >> simple to use. What might you recommend?

    > This is a frequenly asked question, and it turns out there are dozens
    > of likely sites. You'll get tons of suggestions. Let me suggest that
    > you pick a few and read the terms of the various agreements. Some
    > sites require you to grant them a license in your copyright, giving
    > themselves the right to sell items with your images or to use your
    > image in ads for the site. Some prohibit images that are indecent,
    > obscene, or pornographic. They even prohibit nudity. As I have photos
    > of topless and clothing optional beaches and Burning Man, I don't
    > want to run afoul of someone else's definition of decency, and I
    > certainly will violate the prohibition against nudity; you may not
    > care.
    >
    > Check to make sure you can password-protect images or collections of
    > images, if you want privacy. As an aside, if you password-protect
    > images, some sites won't care what you post.
    >
    > Although I don't use Pbase, I like it's terms of service. See
    > http://www.pbase.com/tos
    >
    > Contrast this with the terms of service at Ofoto:
    > http://www.ofoto.com/TermsOfService.jsp
    > Note that in Paragraph 18, you allow others to share and make prints
    > from your images; pargraph 19, which prohibits (among other things)
    > blasphemous images.
    >
    > See the terms at
    > http://www.webshots.com/html/terms.html
    > where "you hereby grant Webshots a perpetual, universal, nonexclusive
    > right to copy, display, modify, alter, transmit and distribute any
    > materials stored by you in public albums or otherwise provided by you
    > to the Webshots Community."
    >
    > Aside from mere storage, many sites offer things that make the site
    > more useful. I'd suggest you take a look at
    > http://www.flickr.com/
    > http://www.smugmug.com/
    > http://www.dotphoto.com/
    > to see if their offerings interest you.
    >
    > Read not only the terms of service but their privacy policies -- free
    > services have to make money somehow, and it may be by selling your
    > demographics in a manner which identifies you. (Smugmug is not free.)

    Excellent advice.

    You may not mind paying a couple dollars a month (yearly in advance) for
    500MB space and 10x that much bandwidth at
    http://www.fototime.com/

    You select who sees what and if they can buy prints from the Fototime
    service; store BIG images for transfer, printing, or viewing; can link
    from Web pages and eBay (many free services prohibit that); title photos
    with (limited) html; for another ~$19.00 a year they will host your
    movies for viewing in original format or their compressed version (works
    good).
    http://www.fototime.com/00091D6C9BCAE3B/conv.wmv
    http://www.fototime.com/00091D6C9BCAE3B/orig.mov

    I've used their services for more than two years, have 6,000+ images
    there (creeping up on the first 500MB mark), very reliably. My only
    continuing complaint was speed, and they have improved that considerably
    with the most recent of their ongoing enhancements.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Minou

    adm Guest

    "Phil Stripling" <> wrote in message
    > Minou <> writes:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a good photo sharing site that offers privacy and is
    >> simple
    >> to use. What might you recommend?

    > This is a frequenly asked question, and it turns out there are dozens of
    > likely sites. You'll get tons of suggestions. Let me suggest that you pick
    > a few and read the terms of the various agreements. Some sites require you
    > to grant them a license in your copyright, giving themselves the right to
    > sell items with your images or to use your image in ads for the site. Some
    > prohibit images that are indecent, obscene, or pornographic. They even
    > prohibit nudity. As I have photos of topless and clothing optional beaches
    > and Burning Man, I don't want to run afoul of someone else's definition of
    > decency, and I certainly will violate the prohibition against nudity; you
    > may not care.

    Bizarre.

    Prohibition of promotion of our natural condition should be a crime.

    adm, Mar 9, 2005
  5. Minou

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Phil Stripling <> writes:

    > Check to make sure you can password-protect images or collections of
    > images, if you want privacy.

    People are not generally good at choosing secure passwords. Nor are
    they good at remembering secure passwords that you give them. I think
    it's better to use randomized URLs. This has the additional benefit of
    making the images cacheable, which can greatly speed things up.

    Password protection is useful when all traffic is encrypted, when you
    have a small audience who is good with secure passwords, and when speed
    is not an issue. I don't think this is generally the case with online
    photo albums.

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
    photos for your family or group.

    Bruce Lewis, Mar 10, 2005
  6. Bruce Lewis <> writes:

    > it's better to use randomized URLs.

    Great. So how do we choose randomized URLs with, say, Ofoto?

    Phil Stripling, Mar 10, 2005
  7. Minou

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Phil Stripling <> writes:

    > Bruce Lewis <> writes:
    >
    > > it's better to use randomized URLs.

    > Great. So how do we choose randomized URLs with, say, Ofoto?

    I think their "invite" feature already works something like that. I
    haven't used it recently, though. All I'm saying is that when you look
    at different sites and are concerned about privacy, don't think password
    protection is the best or only option.

    Bruce Lewis, Mar 11, 2005