Paying for your own material for MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Jsaunders, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. Jsaunders

    Jsaunders Guest

    I am required to obtain my MCDST but I am responsible for the study material.
    I have looked around and $200 to $500 is a more than I can afford. Any
    suggestion on a good study guide for the working class guy.
    --
    Jsaunders
     
    Jsaunders, Jan 26, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jsaunders

    TurkReno Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?SnNhdW5kZXJz?= <> wrote
    in news::

    > I am required to obtain my MCDST but I am responsible for the study
    > material. I have looked around and $200 to $500 is a more than I can
    > afford. Any suggestion on a good study guide for the working class
    > guy.
    > --
    > Jsaunders
    >


    The books from Microsoft Press that are Edition two, not edition one.
    That's what I'd go for. They're self-paced study guides.
     
    TurkReno, Jan 26, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jsaunders

    wagnerk Guest

    Can I assume that doesn't include the cost of the exams? Because the exam
    prices already come to over $200. Ok assuming that the cost of exams are
    separate from your study costs. Take alook here:

    http://www.getcertifiedforless.com/microsoft.asp

    You can buy a exam voucher plus transcender practice tests for $199 ($115
    for the exam - regular price for exam is $150, and $75 for the practice
    tests), for the MCDST you'll need 2 exam vouchers as the MCDST is 2 exams.

    MCDST: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician Study Guide (Exams 70
    - 271 and 70 - 272) for $39.59 from Amazon.com and

    MCDST 70-271 &70-272 Exam Cram 2 Bundle (Supporting Users and
    Troubleshooting a Windows Xp Operating System) (Paperback) from Amazon.com
    for $39.20

    or

    MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-271): Supporting Users and
    Troubleshooting a Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP Operating System, Second
    (Hardcover) for $32.39 from Amazon.com and

    MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-272): Supporting Users
    andTroubleshooting Desktop Applications on Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP, Second
    Edition (Hardcover) $32.39 from Amazon.com

    Transcender practice exams with the Sybex & Examcram books = $153.79 (exc
    exam costs)
    Transcender practice exams with the MSPress books = $139.78 (exc exam costs)

    I'm assuming that you already have a PC and running Windows XP and have some
    experience with the OS. Prices are right at time of post :)

    Hope this helps

    -Ken
     
    wagnerk, Jan 26, 2007
    #3
  4. Jsaunders

    AJR Guest

    Do you have a local Barnes ad Noble bookstore? That's where I spent time
    preparing for MCDST.

    "Jsaunders" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am required to obtain my MCDST but I am responsible for the study
    >material.
    > I have looked around and $200 to $500 is a more than I can afford. Any
    > suggestion on a good study guide for the working class guy.
    > --
    > Jsaunders
     
    AJR, Jan 26, 2007
    #4
  5. All good advice from the respondents above. Remember Microsoft's TechNet
    site (http://www.microsoft.com/technet) is free. Here is the direct link
    to TechNet's Windows XP site. Pay special attention to the "TASKS"
    subsection. That is very rich with information you need.

    Also visit http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx#EOD and
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-272.mspx#EQD for the "Skills
    Measured" as prescribed by Microsoft. Go thru the objectives one at a
    time and review the material for each objective. You always have this
    and other newsgroups which are also free to use.

    Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Good luck.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
    CIW Certified Instructor

    http://www.yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom



    "Jsaunders" <> wrote in message
    news::

    > I am required to obtain my MCDST but I am responsible for the study material.
    > I have looked around and $200 to $500 is a more than I can afford. Any
    > suggestion on a good study guide for the working class guy.
    > --
    > Jsaunders
     
    Michael D. Alligood, Jan 27, 2007
    #5
  6. regular price for exam is $150, ????????????

    Where is the exam $150? Here in the US, it is still $125, less if you can
    find a voucher such as on eBay.
    I agree with the ones who said go to TechNet and Barnes and Nobles.
    If you have a used bookstore in town, they may not know that the MCDST exams
    are still active, and you may get them for cheap.
    --
    Larry J. West, MCSD, MCPD, MCTS:SQL Server 2005, MOUS, FLMI, ACS


    "wagnerk" wrote:

    > Can I assume that doesn't include the cost of the exams? Because the exam
    > prices already come to over $200. Ok assuming that the cost of exams are
    > separate from your study costs. Take alook here:
    >
    > http://www.getcertifiedforless.com/microsoft.asp
    >
    > You can buy a exam voucher plus transcender practice tests for $199 ($115
    > for the exam - regular price for exam is $150, and $75 for the practice
    > tests), for the MCDST you'll need 2 exam vouchers as the MCDST is 2 exams.
    >
    > MCDST: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician Study Guide (Exams 70
    > - 271 and 70 - 272) for $39.59 from Amazon.com and
    >
    > MCDST 70-271 &70-272 Exam Cram 2 Bundle (Supporting Users and
    > Troubleshooting a Windows Xp Operating System) (Paperback) from Amazon.com
    > for $39.20
    >
    > or
    >
    > MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-271): Supporting Users and
    > Troubleshooting a Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP Operating System, Second
    > (Hardcover) for $32.39 from Amazon.com and
    >
    > MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-272): Supporting Users
    > andTroubleshooting Desktop Applications on Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP, Second
    > Edition (Hardcover) $32.39 from Amazon.com
    >
    > Transcender practice exams with the Sybex & Examcram books = $153.79 (exc
    > exam costs)
    > Transcender practice exams with the MSPress books = $139.78 (exc exam costs)
    >
    > I'm assuming that you already have a PC and running Windows XP and have some
    > experience with the OS. Prices are right at time of post :)
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > -Ken
     
    LarryWestMCSD, Jan 29, 2007
    #6
  7. Jsaunders

    Manuel Moore Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:47:01 -0800, LarryWestMCSD
    <LarryWest-at-hotmail-dot-com> wrote:

    > regular price for exam is $150, ????????????
    >
    >Where is the exam $150? Here in the US, it is still $125, less if you can
    >find a voucher such as on eBay.
    >I agree with the ones who said go to TechNet and Barnes and Nobles.
    >If you have a used bookstore in town, they may not know that the MCDST exams
    >are still active, and you may get them for cheap.


    Well, I don't quite doubt that exams are that expensive.
    Over here in Germany we pay 140€ plus tax (altogether roughly 200$)
    per exam.
    The company that I am training with is including the vouchers for the
    exams but you still have to pay for it.
     
    Manuel Moore, Jan 29, 2007
    #7
  8. Jsaunders

    Jsaunders Guest

    The Tests are pass but the study material is one my dime. Thanks for the
    suggestions.
    --
    Jsaunders


    "Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

    > All good advice from the respondents above. Remember Microsoft's TechNet
    > site (http://www.microsoft.com/technet) is free. Here is the direct link
    > to TechNet's Windows XP site. Pay special attention to the "TASKS"
    > subsection. That is very rich with information you need.
    >
    > Also visit http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx#EOD and
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-272.mspx#EQD for the "Skills
    > Measured" as prescribed by Microsoft. Go thru the objectives one at a
    > time and review the material for each objective. You always have this
    > and other newsgroups which are also free to use.
    >
    > Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > Michael D. Alligood
    > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
    > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
    > CIW Certified Instructor
    >
    > http://www.yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom
    >
    >
    >
    > "Jsaunders" <> wrote in message
    > news::
    >
    > > I am required to obtain my MCDST but I am responsible for the study material.
    > > I have looked around and $200 to $500 is a more than I can afford. Any
    > > suggestion on a good study guide for the working class guy.
    > > --
    > > Jsaunders

    >
    >
     
    Jsaunders, Jan 30, 2007
    #8
  9. Jsaunders

    Montreal MCT Guest

    $125US = $150 Canadian approximately.

    Of course I'll happily offer my 15% discount voucher code to anyone who
    wants it (apparently invalid in the USA):

    MSAU21211B52
    (valid at Pearson/Vue only)

    Good luck!

    M

    --
    Montreal MCT
    MCT, MCSA, MCDST, MCTS, MCP
    President Emeritus, Montreal IT Professionals Community (www.mitpro.ca)
    Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Customer Experience
    Microsoft Small Business Specialist
    Visit my blog at:
    http://dnn.mitpro.ca/mitpro/Blogs/tabid/59/BlogID/2/Default.aspx


    "LarryWestMCSD" <LarryWest-at-hotmail-dot-com> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > regular price for exam is $150, ????????????
    >
    > Where is the exam $150? Here in the US, it is still $125, less if you can
    > find a voucher such as on eBay.
    > I agree with the ones who said go to TechNet and Barnes and Nobles.
    > If you have a used bookstore in town, they may not know that the MCDST
    > exams
    > are still active, and you may get them for cheap.
    > --
    > Larry J. West, MCSD, MCPD, MCTS:SQL Server 2005, MOUS, FLMI, ACS
    >
    >
    > "wagnerk" wrote:
    >
    >> Can I assume that doesn't include the cost of the exams? Because the
    >> exam
    >> prices already come to over $200. Ok assuming that the cost of exams are
    >> separate from your study costs. Take alook here:
    >>
    >> http://www.getcertifiedforless.com/microsoft.asp
    >>
    >> You can buy a exam voucher plus transcender practice tests for $199 ($115
    >> for the exam - regular price for exam is $150, and $75 for the practice
    >> tests), for the MCDST you'll need 2 exam vouchers as the MCDST is 2
    >> exams.
    >>
    >> MCDST: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician Study Guide (Exams
    >> 70
    >> - 271 and 70 - 272) for $39.59 from Amazon.com and
    >>
    >> MCDST 70-271 &70-272 Exam Cram 2 Bundle (Supporting Users and
    >> Troubleshooting a Windows Xp Operating System) (Paperback) from
    >> Amazon.com
    >> for $39.20
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-271): Supporting Users and
    >> Troubleshooting a Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP Operating System, Second
    >> (Hardcover) for $32.39 from Amazon.com and
    >>
    >> MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-272): Supporting Users
    >> andTroubleshooting Desktop Applications on Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP,
    >> Second
    >> Edition (Hardcover) $32.39 from Amazon.com
    >>
    >> Transcender practice exams with the Sybex & Examcram books = $153.79 (exc
    >> exam costs)
    >> Transcender practice exams with the MSPress books = $139.78 (exc exam
    >> costs)
    >>
    >> I'm assuming that you already have a PC and running Windows XP and have
    >> some
    >> experience with the OS. Prices are right at time of post :)
    >>
    >> Hope this helps
    >>
    >> -Ken
     
    Montreal MCT, Jan 31, 2007
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Frank  ess

    Your own photos in your own book

    Frank ess, Dec 9, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    419
    Phil Stripling
    Dec 9, 2004
  2. Yan
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    623
  3. Howard
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    477
    Howard
    Aug 1, 2003
  4. David Preece

    Own your own cable modem.

    David Preece, Jan 6, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    891
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,261
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page