    dave o Guest

    what is the payrate of a computer security personal acording to experiance?
    thanks dave

    dave o, Aug 18, 2005

  2. dave o

    jms504 Guest

    I recently got a job offer from cali to work as a security consultant
    at 37 bucks an hour.
    I am NSA/NSTSSI Certified as an infosec professional(4011) and a
    Designated approving authority(4012), now called an Authorizing
    official.

    I also have my Bachelors in computer security and a bachelors in comp
    sci.

    The Pay rate for a security pro varies depending on what area you are
    in..it's proportional to the cost of living like most every other job.

    The more certifications you have..the more your value goes up.
    MCSE:Security, Security+, GIAC are a few good ones to have but if you
    want 6 figures, you're going to want to shoot for CISSP

    jms504, Aug 19, 2005

  3. dave o

    Kevin Reiter Guest

    jms504 wrote:
    > I recently got a job offer from cali to work as a security consultant
    > at 37 bucks an hour.
    > I am NSA/NSTSSI Certified as an infosec professional(4011) and a
    > Designated approving authority(4012), now called an Authorizing
    > official.
    >
    > I also have my Bachelors in computer security and a bachelors in comp
    > sci.
    >
    > The Pay rate for a security pro varies depending on what area you are
    > in..it's proportional to the cost of living like most every other job.
    >
    > The more certifications you have..the more your value goes up.
    > MCSE:Security, Security+, GIAC are a few good ones to have but if you
    > want 6 figures, you're going to want to shoot for CISSP

    While certs certainly help get your foot in the door, they aren't a
    requirement for a higher rate. My typical rate as a prime is $125/hour
    and my sub rate varies depending on who the prime is and what my duties
    will include, but it averages between $75 and $100.

    ...and I don't have a CISSP, GIAC, MSCE, or a degree. I have experience
    and references. Those certs don't mean that the person knows everything
    they shold, either. I know a CISSP who didn't know that gre was protocol
    47 - he thought is was PORT 47 and was wondering why the VPN wasn't
    connecting. Just goes to show that certs don't equal experience, but a
    balance of both is ideal.

    Kevin

    Kevin Reiter, Aug 19, 2005
  4. dave o

    jms504 Guest

    Kevin youre absolutely right.

    I just suggested some certs. If you have the experience, then that
    trumps anything else.
    No experience=no job!

    Good luck man!

    jms504, Aug 26, 2005